I'm a 14 year old who just bought my first Corvair, need some help and advice

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
66vairguy

Re: I'm a 14 year old who just bought my first Corvair, need some help and advice

Post by 66vairguy »

snapollin -- I just noticed the telescopic steering wheel. Early and late 65 are different. The late 65 (like 66) uses the same steering box (shaft length) as the non-tele cars. The early 65 tele units use a UNIQUE steering box (due to steering box shaft length).

Good luck with the car.
snaprollin

Re: I'm a 14 year old who just bought my first Corvair, need some help and advice

Post by snaprollin »

I'm in the Arcadia, area, and will be joining Corsa West Los Angeles at the next meeting 3rd Thursday at Dennys
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Realistically, the very poor condition of the car body and interior makes this vehicle primarily an organ donor/parts car. Restoring the convertible body would be next to impossible, even for a wealthy car collector like Jay Leno and his car restoration team. But an engine teardown and inspection may reveal a very rebuildable 140hp engine that can be quite valuable. A good 4-speed late model (1965-1969) transaxle can also be a valuable component.

:idea: :wrench: If you want to learn vehicle restoration and maintenance, focusing on the powertrain may be your best bet.

I have decoded the body tag from one of your pictures, to give you more information on the nature of this beast.
1967 Corvair Body Tag.jpg
1967 Corvair Body Tag.jpg (121.37 KiB) Viewed 431 times
Here is a breakdown of the information on the body tag you provided...
BODY TAG INFO:

09C
Body Build Date: 09 = September (1966) C = Third Week
The first two digits are numbers 01 through 12, indicating the month of manufacture. The letter is A-E, indicating the week of the month. If the letter is a "C" it indicates the third week of the month.

Interior paint codes: (Interior paint codes do not appear on Los Angeles built cars)
1967: 1= Blue 4= Black 5= Fawn 6= Bright Blue 7= Gold

ST 67-10567 WRN 121
Style: 67 = 1967 10567: 1 = Chevrolet, 05 = Monza, 67 = 2-Door Convertible 4-Passenger,
WRN = Willow Run, Michigan, Production Sequence No: 121
(Very early in the 1967 Corvair production year).

1967 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 2-Door Convertible - 4 Passenger, Total Production: 2,109

TRim: 722- = BRIGHT BLUE (MONZA 10500 SERIES — Bucket Front Seats)
This 3 digit code represents the interior color and seat type.

Paint: F-1 = BRIGHT BLUE "Marina Blue"
Lucite No. 4850L, Rinshed-Mason No. A1920, Ditzler No. DDL13364

Top color codes:
1967: 1 = white 2 = black

Example — 1967 Chevrolet Corvair Convertible with optional 140hp 4x1 carburetor engine
US $7,900.00

ACC = Accessory line
When decoding ACC line on the Fisher body tags, be aware that body tags do not include any options that did not require any body modification be done by Fisher. Fisher was only concerned with items that required modifications during the assembly of the body. A good example is that you won’t find Telescopic column listed on the body tag. Although this is a major option, it did not require any special consideration during body assembly.

W 2MS 5Y

GROUP 1
W = RPO A02 Tinted Windshield only

GROUP 2
M = RPO M35 Powerglide Automatic
S = RPO U73 Rear antenna

GROUP 3
NONE

GROUP 4
NONE

GROUP 5
Y = RPO A49 Deluxe Seatbelts (Stainless Steel Push-button Buckles)

NOTE: YOUR CORVAIR MAY NOT HAVE THE ORIGINAL POWERTRAIN. IT WAS MANUFACTURED WITH A POWERGLIDE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION, AS CAN BE SEEN WITH THE POWERGLIDE SHIFT LEVER IN THE INSTRUMENT PANEL. YET THERE APPEARS TO BE A MANUAL TRANSMISSION SHIFT LEVER IN THE INTERIOR TOO! THE ENGINE IS A 140HP 164 CI POWERPLANT, THAT LOOKS LIKE A SMOG PUMP MAY HAVE BEEN PRESENT AT ONE TIME, AS EVIDENCED BY A HOLE IN THE SHEET METAL BELOW THE DISTRIBUTOR THAT WOULD HAVE PERMITTED THE PASSAGE OF SOME SMOG PUMP PLUMBING FROM THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD.

A CHECK OF THE ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER (TO THE RIGHT OF THE ALTERNATOR) AND THE CYLINDER HEAD CASTING NUMBERS ON THE END OF EACH HEAD MY HELP TO CONFIRM THE YEAR OF THE ENGINE. IF THE TRANSAXLE HAS A MANUAL TRANSMISSION, THE TRANSAXLE IS LIKELY FROM THE SAME YEAR AS THE ENGINE, BUT THAT WOULD HAVE TO BE CONFIRMED.

:chevy:
Attachments
1967 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1967 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 8 times
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers.PDF
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

snaprollin wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:04 am I'm in the Arcadia, area, and will be joining Corsa West Los Angeles at the next meeting 3rd Thursday at Dennys
Corsa West is a good club with a great newsletter. You are between Corsa West in the Valley South Coast Corsa in the Torrance area. Dan Drommerhausen is in SCC and has been rebuilding Corvair transaxles for decades if you ever need that done. SCC has sites on Facebook and Instagram, not my thing but they post technical articles.

Return to “Introductions”