I'm a 14 year old who just bought my first Corvair, need some help and advice

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
NewCorvairFan

I'm a 14 year old who just bought my first Corvair, need some help and advice

Post by NewCorvairFan »

I just bought my first car, a 1967 Corvair Monza Convertible with the 140hp engine and a 4 speed.

I picked her up for $600 yesterday, and it's pretty rough. The issue I'm starting with fixing is that the frunk doesn't open (the car came with no keys).

Some other issues are that the motor doesn't turn much and that the wheels won't spin.

I have access to a large variety of tools and quite a bit of spare time.

I'm happy to join the community!
Attachments
As it sits
As it sits
Engine, aftermarket air cleaners I think
Engine, aftermarket air cleaners I think
Interior, it had a tarp over it
Interior, it had a tarp over it
Underneath engine
Underneath engine
Passenger side front fender, slathered with bondo
Passenger side front fender, slathered with bondo
1967 Monza Convertible 4 speed
1966 Mercury Park Lane Breezeway
Gasman63

Re: I'm a 14 year old who just bought my first Corvair, need some help and advice

Post by Gasman63 »

Welcome to the group. At your age you might have bit off more than you can chew, as the saying goes.

Im no help to you but someone will be along soon to help. These cars has built-in frames so rust can be a safety issue if in the wrong spot. Still, you have a project to help you along that time that girls will be bothering your brain. So hang on and think smart.
1963 Corvair Monza Convertible 140 4 speed.
Colorado Springs :wave:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: I'm a 14 year old who just bought my first Corvair, need some help and advice

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: :wave: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

Your location, experience level, and finances (budget) will likely have a significant impact on your project car success story. :wrench: If there is a CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapter near you, joining them and seeking local advice from experienced Corvair owners may be of great help to you (as will your posts on this Corvair Forum!) So... where are you located??? :dontknow:

I started out in 1969 with a "Junker" 1963 Corvair 500 coupe with a Powerglide automatic transmission and an engine that would not move with a large wrench applied to the crankshaft pulley bolt. The car body was nothing to inspire a full restoration, so during my high school summer vacation — at age 16 — I concentrated on learning to pull the powertrain and completely dismantled the engine. My father had purchased the car for me to learn on, so I carefully cleaned and inspected the engine components. My father funded parts and machine shop work, and I was able to successfully overhaul the engine with a relatively low budget cost!

With the engine running, I next discovered that the Powerglide automatic was not working and also needed an overhaul — so I tackled that project and taught myself to rebuild an automatic transmission! These two successes encouraged and motivated me to go further, and my father was quite proud of my ambition and successes! He and I managed to locate a fairly clean 1962 Monza coupe with a manual transmission but no engine. The car body and interior, brakes and suspension was in much better condition than my 1963 500 coupe, so we decided to consider the 1963 to be a "parts car" that was not worthy of an expensive restoration. Instead, I modified the rebuilt 1963 engine for use on a manual transmission-based transaxle (changing bell housings and adding a clutch and flywheel) and successfully fitted my freshly overhauled 1963 engine into the 1962 Monza The "marriage" of my successfully overhauled engine with the relatively clean 1962 Monza resulted in a good Corvair that I enjoyed driving for years!

I would recommend that you focus your efforts on dismantling, inspecting, and (hopefully) overhauling and rebuilding the potentially valuable 140 horsepower 4-carburetor engine! If the heads prove to be in good condition (no loose valve seats or damaged combustion chambers) and the cylinders, cases, crankshaft, etc. are in good condition, the engine may be the most-valuable component in your Corvair! You can get valuable mechanical experience just focusing your efforts there, and you could end-up with a great powertrain worthy of a transplant into a clean, rust-free and relatively clean engineless shell, The end result of a continuing search for a clean body Corvair may produce a drivable car that you can be proud of! A solid, rebuilt 140hp 4x1 engine is a valuable heart of any Corvair (even an early pre-1965 Corvair may be a worthy candidate for that engine — requiring only some Early Model engine sheet metal changeovers). Anyway, my recommendation would be to focus on the 140hp powertrain, so you don't get bogged down on lot of difficult and expensive body repair on your donor car.

If you begin with an engine overhaul, please keep us "in the loop" by photographing and sharing your progress on the Corvair Forum. If you locate a local CORSA club chapter see if you can get involved with them too. I learned a lot in 1969 with my engine overhaul, and it helped me to develop self-confidence in my mechanical abilities so my overall Corvair project evolved into a very successful and rewarding effort!

:woo: :Love it:
Wedding Day - 1962 Monza (1).jpg
Wedding Day - 1962 Monza (6).jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
NewCorvairFan

Post by NewCorvairFan »

Thanks for the feedback!

I find your story interesting and inspiring. However, I live in the midsouth area near the Mississippi River. So, of course, almost any corvair body around here has rust on it and I haven't been able to find any under $1000 at all, much less a rust free body. Not to mention my area is full of scrap yards who either crush all cars, part them out for insane prices, or sell the body for insane prices (ex. $2,500 firm for a 63 Corvair 500 no engine, transmission, interior, or wheels). I'm also trying to own a numbers matching car, especially such a desirable combination.

I have no Corvair clubs within 200 miles and know no one with a Corvair.

Me and my dad are probably going to pull the engine out of the car and onto an engine stand this weekend to rebuild it. We plan on keeping a factory spec engine as well. I'll keep the forum updated.
Leotju

Post by Leotju »

Welcome!!

I got my Corvair at sixteen (seventeen now), so I can understand what it's like to take on a project like this at a young age. As has already been said-- focus on the powertrain. An intact, serviceable 140hp engine would be very valuable on its own and would make a great drop-in on a car with a nicer body. I recommend thoroughly inspecting the whole car to figure out what you're working with. Keep an eye out for structural body rot and the like. Also try to learn as much as you can about you car from books and forums like this one. There is a wealth of knowledge that I have found very helpful in my project. Link here: viewtopic.php?t=18061

If you haven't already heard of them, definitely check out Clark's Corvair Parts. https://ssl.corvair.com/user-cgi/main They have the largest supply of new and NOS Corvair parts for reasonable prices and their customer service is great. Best of luck and keep us updated!!
NewCorvairFan

Post by NewCorvairFan »

After further inspection, the inner rockers are definitely not solid. However the body and chassis are relatively solid and allow no bending when on jack. I plan on buying or foraging new rockers and replacing them. In any other scenario, I'd probably pull the drive train out and put it in a solid body. Buy can't and won't due to reasons explained here:

viewtopic.php?t=18598

I am ready to do anything necessary to get this specific body and drive train on the road no matter how much time, effort, and money it takes.
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Congrats on the Corvair! You do have your work ahead of you but keep at it. :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

NewCorvairFan wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 9:32 pm After further inspection, the inner rockers are definitely not solid. However the body and chassis are relatively solid and allow no bending when on jack. I plan on buying or foraging new rockers and replacing them. In any other scenario, I'd probably pull the drive train out and put it in a solid body. Buy can't and won't due to reasons explained here:

viewtopic.php?t=18598

I am ready to do anything necessary to get this specific body and drive train on the road no matter how much time, effort, and money it takes.
Unfortunate about the rocker sections. Keep in mind that are different than the fixed roof cars. Clark's makes rocker panels for the fixed roof cars, but they are a thinner steel with no inner bracing. New units could be fabricated, but it would take someone with serious body/sheet metal skills.

Years ago a fellow found a very rare Canadian built Corsa turbo convertible (less than a dozen built) that was badly rusted. He posted pictures about literally taking off every fender and installing new steel in the body. I've never seen the extent that he went to fix a body and the finished product was impressive.

Good luck with the car.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Interesting story. The good thing is you have time on your side. Hard to evaluate the rocker situation with out clear pictures of the damage. There are probably options to reinforce the car, but it won't be "original''. Are you in an auto shop class? That would be a huge plus. Getting hooked up with some local rod guys might also help. I'd say get everything cleaned out and then make pictures of what you're facing. Way back when I was in my late teens one of my "car mentors", Eldon was restoring a Model A Ford. He brought it home on a trailer, holes rusted through the fenders, really bad shape. Neighbor said "tow it on up to the scrap yard". Eldon's answer: "If man can make it, man can fix it". Car ended up being a concourse show winner. Parts acquisition ended up with Eldon having the soft top rumble seat car, a coupe, and a pickup. Hang in there. Check "Johns 65" or "Project 65" thread for inspiration. We're with you. Dennis
NewCorvairFan

Post by NewCorvairFan »

Here are pictures of the rockers. Driver's side is about the same, but the rear part is a bit better.

In other news, found out it has true dual exhaust.
Attachments
Front of passenger side
Front of passenger side
Back of passenger side
Back of passenger side
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Hey NewCorvairFan.

From the photos you’ve posted so far, it’s looking like the rust damage on your car is very extreme. The door pillar is very rusted out. I’d recommend looking further back at the rocker sections by the back seat as well…from above and below. Get a screwdriver and start poking metal with force. If it goes through, it’s rotten.

As Dennis66 has suggested, check out my thread in the Projects section. I’ve been working on my sedan for 2 years. Today is actually the 2 year anniversary of the beginning of my project. It’s an extreme rebuild…the car should have been scrapped; however, I’ve completely cut it apart and rebuilt it with plate steel, donor, and aftermarket parts. I’ve purchased 2 donor cars for parts, and have major body parts from several other cars. I’m up to almost 30 lbs of 0.023 welding wire….or about 4 miles in length according to an online source. Proceed with caution.

I believe your ‘67 will have different doors/hinges than a ‘66 or ‘65. They were redesigned in ‘67.

As others have suggested, pull the drivetrain and focus on that first. If you’re going to tackle the body, find a garage where you can work on it. It might be there for a while.

Consider starting a thread in the Project section. Some in there have spanned many years.

Good luck 🍀.
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.
NewCorvairFan

Post by NewCorvairFan »

Thanks for the info!

I will start a thread on projects when I get some time. I have a garage that I will move the car into once I get the wheels spinning and my grandfather gets his 08 charger running. I will probably pull the engine and put is on a mount in the coming weeks.
erco

Post by erco »

NewCorvairFan wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 7:06 pm I have a garage that I will move the car into once I get the wheels spinning and my grandfather gets his 08 charger running.
An '08 Charger? Such an old car! :chevy: :chevy: :chevy:
snaprollin

Post by snaprollin »

Hi, my name is mike, and I owned a 65 140 corsa 4 speed, for about 16 years and then had to let it go. 20 + years later at the age of 66 I bought another on same year etc. in the time I had my Corvair, it had been through 2 paint jobs, 2 interior reupholsters, 2 engine rebuilds, and I loved working on it!!!
If it was me, I would clean up as much of the car up as can, like interior, engine compartment, and the frunk, don't bother with the undercarriage.
I'm in the Los Angeles area, and if you need to talk about what to do you can email me at snaprollin@yahoo.com here is a link to the Corvair I just bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256175911744?_ ... true&rt=nc
good luck, and I hope you contact when you need some help on what to do.
mike
Attachments
65 140 Corsa 4 Speed.jpg
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

I saw that one on ebay. Good luck to you. I too, bought my '62 convertible at age 66 (hence the Dennis66 when I joined). Thanks for your willingness to reach out to the next generation of Corvair enthusiasts. Dennis
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

snaprollin wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:12 am Hi, my name is mike, and I owned a 65 140 corsa 4 speed, for about 16 years and then had to let it go. 20 + years later at the age of 66 I bought another on same year etc. in the time I had my Corvair, it had been through 2 paint jobs, 2 interior reupholsters, 2 engine rebuilds, and I loved working on it!!!
If it was me, I would clean up as much of the car up as can, like interior, engine compartment, and the frunk, don't bother with the undercarriage.
I'm in the Los Angeles area, and if you need to talk about what to do you can email me at snaprollin@yahoo.com here is a link to the Corvair I just bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/256175911744?_ ... true&rt=nc
good luck, and I hope you contact when you need some help on what to do.
mike
L.A. is a big city with three clubs! What area are you in? Many helpful folks in the L.A. area clubs.

Return to “Introductions”