Windshield Washer Pump, LM

Need to know how? Want to show how?
larry202br

Re: Windshield Washer Pump, LM

Post by larry202br »

I think you're correct Brad. But I'm just stubborn enough that I want to get the OEM style pump to work. I've already purchased an aftermarket pump like you've pictured above, just in case!

In fact, of Ted is correct and the current star wheel isn't compatible with the new pump, I'll have to go aftermarket anyway!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: :sad5:

I have to admit that, to me, the Corvair windshield wiper motor and washer subsystem is one of the most convoluted, extremely complex and difficult to follow systems in the Corvair. The shop manuals — including the 1961 Corvair Shop Manual and the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual — do not do much to shed much light on this subject. :doh: Prone to failure and difficult to repair, It amazes me how complex the system is that simply squirts some washer fluid on the windshield! That is why I hope to simply bypass the factory pump design in favor of a simple and inexpensive aftermarket pump and motor that can be connected to battery power and activated by a ground switch to spray the windshield so that the Corvair driver can continue to see where the car is going.
:eek: :whoa: :rallye:

I found a picture of the GM engineer who designed the windshield washer system, the Corvair clock, and the Carter YH (turbo) carburetor...
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
larry202br

Post by larry202br »

It appears that Ted is correct. I installed the Anco style pump, but used the original star wheel cam. The unit tried to work, but didn't quite get the job done. Admittedly, the unit I used was one I acquired with my Rampy in one of the spare parts boxes, so it may not be right. But, it would squirt fluid, it just wouldn't quite run through the cycle, as the pawl didn't have enough travel to increment the gear. I'm now looking for a new drive gear/star wheel.

In the meantime, I installed an aftermarket pump.

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”