Chris Shade is planning an event

Anything Corvair related
Fast Eddie
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Chris Shade is planning an event

Post by Fast Eddie »

Chris Shade wrote:

I have created (what I hope will become) the 1st Annual Corvair Track Classic race event beginning this upcoming August 29,30,31-2015 (a week before Labor Day) in my hometown of Hastings,
Nebraska. We have a wonderful 2.15mile road course that was developed in 2006 and rated as “One of the top 10 places to speed in America” by Forbes magazine {Website: racemph.com}. I have already “booked” the track for this weekend and the owner is very enthusiastic about hosting a Corvair race weekend! It is my hope to recruit Corvair racers and enthusiasts from across the country to come to our race event. I have tried to make it affordable and family friendly to appeal to all that might have an interest:
Schedule of events:
• Friday evening (August 29): a welcome party at my shop with heavy hors d’oeuvres and meet and greet
• Saturday (August 30) racing from 10am-4pm on the 2.15 mile road course
• Saturday evening: a “throw-back” BBQ inviting the local car club (roughly 250 member) and local car clubs in the area
• Sunday (August 31) racing on the “Autocross” track (1.0 mile) at MPH from roughly 9am-1pm

Due to the fact that this is our first shot at hosting this event, I have a bit of anxiety in trying to get people to drive to the middle of Nebraska to race their Corvairs. I am quite confident that once people experience the quality of our MPH track, recruitment for the following year should come much easier. This first year out, my hope is to host a minimum of 20 Corvairs. Contact me on FB.
Last edited by Fast Eddie on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it aint broke, give me a minute
USAF_vair

Re: Chris Shade is planning an event

Post by USAF_vair »

Well sounds like a fun weekend close to home. This event is on our calendar. and hope to bring a few corvairs from south Dakota to your event.

Thanks for the work in planning this event
Fast Eddie
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Fast Eddie »

More info from Chris Shade

Thanks to everyone who has an interest in supporting my Corvair Track Classic and/or the Ice event in IA over Labor Day! I just got off of the phone with this morning with Chuck Prosise. Neither one of us are out to diminish either event, in fact, we are hopeful to attract Corvair folks from all different venues and parts of the country……and in the end promote the Corvair and have fun! We are finishing up our new website as well as entry forms/mailings/etc here before the end of the month. I am attempting to get sponsorships to cover over 50% of the cost of the track in an effort to make the fees affordable for all racers. Just to give everyone an idea, early registration for both days of racing (full road track and autocross track as well) will run $249 and no more than $299 on the day of the race. There is a possibility of "grudge racing" on Friday (August 28) for an additional fee during our welcome party for those die-hard drag racers….more to come. Anyway, things are coming together quite nicely and I am very excited to get everything launched full bore……so, keep your eyes peeled and mark you calendars for the "Corvair Track Classic" August 28-30 and/or Fire and Ice September 5-6!
SfcColts

Post by SfcColts »

I met Chris last year (2014) at the Marshalltown ICE event. I loved his idea for the event and I'm hoping to have my new ride ready to go. If I don't I will take my 65 Monza.
65 Arrival Blue Monza
64 Palomar Red Monza
Fast Eddie
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by Fast Eddie »

Here's how to contact Chris:
Phone # (402) 460-7079
E-mail- shadesclassiccorner@yahoo.net
Web site- shadesclassiccars.com

He plans to have the registration forms ready by Friday.
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

I'm planning to drive out for the event. Won't be in a Corvair best I can do is to bring pictures!
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
chris

Post by chris »

Chris came to our meeting last month (HACOA/Kansas City) to talk about it. I am hoping to make it if possible because it sounds like a lot of fun. Where/when else do you get the chance to have your car on a real race track driving it at speed?

Return to “Corvair Talk”