still looking...how about this one?

Anything Corvair related
potato124

Post by potato124 »

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4471216892.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supposedly engine is in great shape. No real rust (although the picture looks rough), he said there was only one spot. Interior needs work, but all of the parts, covers, etc are there...

So, Corvair pros, is $3000 a decent price? I am assuming:
-$2000 paint
-$300 top (I can do it)
-$200 interior

All in, say $5500 for a 66. Is this a decent restoration job?
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: still looking...how about this one?

Post by bbodie52 »

I hate listings like this. One poor-quality photograph and absolutely no details in the text. Nothing about the engine, transmission type, running condition, no pictures of the interior, the car from different angles, the engine or trunk. You can tell it is a 1966 Monza convertible, and that is all! The floor could be rusted away, the engine might not run or might be missing! The brakes, suspension, tires are all unknown. Corvair convertibles are particularly susceptible to rust problems that weaken the chassis.

Does Craig's List charge by the word? If the seller omits all details and makes no effort to describe the car, I would choose not to be bothered playing a guessing game. I would look elsewhere. The seller's complete lack of enthusiasm in his listing generates a complete lack of interest on the part of potential buyers.

I wouldn't give this listing a second thought.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

If you are going to spend $5,500 you might as well buy one all done for that price. 11 years ago a redid a 65 Triumph Spitfire, I took it to a good restoration shop & spent $4,300 for body work & paint. I put the new floors in, front & rear valances & tacked in new rear 1/4 panels & did the interior, seat covers, door panels carpet ect. myself. In all when I was done I had over $12,000 in it & drove it for 10 years & got $6,100 for it on ebay last year. Not to bad for having it 10 years but you will have a lot more than you think in that Corvair. If you can do all the restoration yourself you might be O. K. with it, just depends you're willing to spend, Bottom line is what's it worth to you! Look for a Southern car, my Michigan 64 is real rusty on the underside. :dontknow: :tu: :tu:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
kawtoy

Post by kawtoy »

If it runs it is a $1000-1500 car at most. $3500 is outrageous. He is hoping some sucker comes along. Don't be that sucker.
1961 Lakewood
1941 Desoto 2dr Deluxe
1973 Triumph Bonneville
1957 Simson S2 (only one in USA)
1966 Honda CA95
1980 KZ1000
AndyF

Post by AndyF »

I suggest a forum poll - it's the best method for buying a car.... :tongue:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

kawtoy wrote:If it runs it is a $1000-1500 car at most. $3500 is outrageous. He is hoping some sucker comes along. Don't be that sucker.

Around here a convertible in similar condition that runs and drives would likely be worth what the ad is asking. It must run and drive out well and not have rust holes. As far as rust that car is quite rusty, maybe not holed, but it has surface rust everywhere under the little paint that is left. If you would intend to paint it properly costs for bare metal stripping and painting done well and professionally could easily run $7,000 or more.

Little can be told from a single crappy photo. Again, ONLY hands on informed inspection can weed out the turds.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

I guess it COULD be worth $3500, but seeing that "firm" inserted into the ad sorta kills it a little bit. But usually they use that "firm" word so they won't get low-balled, I think. At least the bottom of the windshield isn't a nightmare. I would say that $3500 is more the upper end of what that car might be worth, unless it's a few goodies going for it, like a beautiful interior or a purring motor.

You never know.....I've found that actually showing up when you say you will, and giving the guy an honest run-down of the car's flaws (not totally bashing it) can get you in for a fair price. Sure, there's always those "Barrett-Jackson dreamers" out there that wanna hold out for their insane price, but......cash in hand is sometimes pretty tempting to a seller.

Funny, I was just mentioning to a friend of mine today that......even getting a classic car for free, you're almost guaranteed to be upside down on it if you do a resto on it!
eForce

Post by eForce »

potato124 wrote:http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4471216892.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Supposedly engine is in great shape. No real rust (although the picture looks rough), he said there was only one spot. Interior needs work, but all of the parts, covers, etc are there...

So, Corvair pros, is $3000 a decent price? I am assuming:
-$2000 paint
-$300 top (I can do it)
-$200 interior

All in, say $5500 for a 66. Is this a decent restoration job?

Wayyyy too much. It'a about the same condition as mine was when I got it and I paid $750. Offer $1,000 and the most.
Skrain

Post by Skrain »

Are you bound and determined to get a Late Model? Just wondering...
Seems like there are some nice EMs on E-bay, but that's just my :my02:
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Don't be stuck on a 66, any LM corvair that is not rusty is a good deal, 65-69 although different are basically the same, spending more for a rust free car is your best deal.
potato124

Post by potato124 »

You guys are great...as for the price, on the phone he was already down to $3000. I will see it this week.

How about my cost estimate for the restoration? Is $2k for a good full paint job accurate?
rowin4

Post by rowin4 »

If you did all the body work needed,it would cost you about $1,000. for paint and materials. As mentioned above , having it done, estimated $7,000
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

potato124 wrote:You guys are great...as for the price, on the phone he was already down to $3000. I will see it this week.

How about my cost estimate for the restoration? Is $2k for a good full paint job accurate?
If I was to quote a strip repaint on this car assuming there are zero rust holes and no big dents I would be telling you around $10,000. Bear in mind that this would not include refinishing inside the trunk, or engine compartment, nor the dash, nor the interior painted side panels, nor would it include any painting under the car, nor powertrain and brake system removal necessary for protection from blasting media during stripping. It would also not include the significant amount of trim, weatherstrips, and other parts that may be needed along the way. It is impossible to tell what a car will need from photos. In fact it is usually impossible to tell with much precision what will be needed to repair an old auto body even when it is in front of you and you can touch and look at it. Things get hidden over the years. You really do not know what you are up against until after the paint and old fillers etc. are removed during stripping. Often an average Corvair will eat $12,000-15,000 just for body and paint work done right. ( I am assuming pro work at a shop rate of only around $35 per hour). Any one that knows what they are doing in this line of work will not be able to give you a price either. To truly do it right it must be done on a by the hour basis. There is no way to tell how involved it will really be. Any one that gives you a price is either ripping you off (high price that exceeds the actual cost), doing shoddy work (low price, less than actual cost, they cheat and do crappy cover up work rather than real repair so they do not lose their shirt on the project), or stupid and working for nothing because they found more than they thought (low price again) (this usually leads to price increases along the way and or corner cutting. A good resto man will charge honestly by the hour plus materials and parts, and be able to provide a rough ballpark price after inspecting the car, and a better less rough ballpark price after the car has been stripped to the metal. $2000 for paint job around here will not even get you a really good paint job...forget about paint stripping and repair of damage. When I paint a Vair the paint materials alone often exceed $1500 for in and out paint. Add to that additional materials cost of over $1000 for pre-paint epoxies, primers, body fillers, sealants etc, Next what did all the labor cost?? 2-3k might get a crappy MAACO quicky bondo it up a squirt it with some old school acrylic enamel on the car above, BUT, I doubt they would even touch it for that little.

I have restored a number of Corvairs for myself. Parts and materials generally cost me between $12,000 and 20,000 between mechanical, and body parts and trim, and paint and body materials. Labor costs to me are zero as I do it all myself, but, the number of labor hours usually falls in the 500-1000 hour range depending on the car and discounting any crazy custom work (I had over 1600 hours in my Crown corv-8 show car for instance). How much the total cost would be for you depends on how much you can do yourself. 500 hours is $15,000 in labor at a rate of only $30/hr. A rate that does not exist most places. In summation the idea of $30,000 or more in restoration costs is not far fetched. (these kind of numbers will generally not include a total rebuild of engine and powertrain either...more like a clean up, reseal and and paint).

By the way this is not a cost range limited to Corvairs. Most 60's and 70's classic that are not in terrible condition to start with will eat this kind of money to be sharp. Many cars will eat more as Vair parts are not particularly expensive.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

potato124

Post by potato124 »

Thanks for the reality check...I confirmed similar numbers with another painter in town. I thought for a restoration job, getting the good mechanical was the most valuable, but I guess that isn't the case...I guess I'm back to the internet...
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Nope. Mechanical stuff is available and relatively inexpensive. Your best bet unless you really just want to spend a lot of money and make the car your way is to buy a car nice enough to satisfy you and do nothing too it but drive it. Understand that many people have restored these cars and generally have more money in them than they are worth, therefore if you buy a nicely restored car you save BIG dollars. Buy the nicest car you can afford and forget restoration:) 90-100 point near perfect Corvairs can be had for under $20,000 in all shapes and sizes for the buyer who is willing to wait a little and capitalize when the opportunity arises. I know of a 97 point 65 Corsa Convertible that sold here recently for just under 20k, I also know of a 95+ point Corsa coupe that will be listed soon for only 19k and will sell for a little less. Either of these 2 cars would have cost well over $50,000 in professional restoration costs to have them done (the convertible's restoration would very likely have been closer to 70K if done in a pro resto shop because of little details like tons of NOS parts used and powdercoating the body after stripping and before bodywork for example).

potato124

Post by potato124 »

wow, great info.

so if my budget is under 10k, how does this one look?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Corva ... ars_Trucks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Corvair Talk”