Preparing floor for new carpet

All Models and Years
NMVair

Preparing floor for new carpet

Post by NMVair »

How do other corvair owners remove rust from their floors to get ready to apply POR? What type of sound proofing works best? Is there any use for that compartment in the back, or do you all just cover it?
I have a 64 Monza.
I am thinking I'll apply some sort of rust inhibitor this week and let it sit until the weekend. At that point I'll just hit it with a wire wheel or disc sander.
I will also have to remove the kick panel vents and treat the area and reseal upon reinstall.
Anyone have any ideas on all of this please let me know. I will get some pictures.
Thanks in advance!
:wave:
66vairguy

Re: Preparing floor for new carpet

Post by 66vairguy »

NMVair wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:32 am How do other corvair owners remove rust from their floors to get ready to apply POR? What type of sound proofing works best? Is there any use for that compartment in the back, or do you all just cover it?
I have a 64 Monza.
I am thinking I'll apply some sort of rust inhibitor this week and let it sit until the weekend. At that point I'll just hit it with a wire wheel or disc sander.
I will also have to remove the kick panel vents and treat the area and reseal upon reinstall.
Anyone have any ideas on all of this please let me know. I will get some pictures.
Thanks in advance!
:wave:
Unless the car is apart, sand blasting isn't practical. That said, sand blasting is the only way to completely eliminate rust.
Wire wheels are the next best approach. I've never used POR. There are a number of sound proofing products. Some get gooey with age and ruin the carpets. Over the decades a number of sound proofing material companies have come and GONE. I've read many reviews of products that did not stand up. The only product I've never had issues with is DynaMat Xtreme. It's relatively expensive. For me it's a one time deal and done.

Many just go to Home Depot and buy roofing material, but don't be surprised if the car STINKS on a hot day.
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Once again thanks. I think it's worth the price. The doesnt smell that great as it is.
Any idea on how much to buy?
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

NMVair wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 2:30 pm Once again thanks. I think it's worth the price. The doesnt smell that great as it is.
Any idea on how much to buy?
I did mine years ago. I had the interior completely out and covered everything from the rear package tray up to under the dashboard. Most don't to that much.

I'll warn you the stuff is HEAVY and shipping costs can be brutal. At the time I got it via Amazon Prime - free shipping then!!!!! It was a little more on Amazon, but I saved a lot on shipping. Summit has it in different sizes and they ship FREE if your order is over $109.00!!

Also DO NOT PEAL OFF THE BACKING IF THE SHEETS ARE WARM/HOT!!! Never place them in the sun as the paper backing WILL NOT PEAL OFF. AMHIK - LOL. I lay a sheet on the cold concrete and the paper backing comes off easy, THEN you can put the non-sticky side down in the sun and it will get very pliable in short order. The non-sticky side has a foil backing that's tough, but you can tear it. It's important to make sure no air is trapped under it. Once in place it's very difficult to lift again!!! Plan accordingly.
doug6423

Post by doug6423 »

I've used POR-15 on my Corvair since 2016. I've not had any issues with it like I've heard others have.
However... I do not use a wire brush, only a sander or sandblaster if I have the parts out.
And... I follow the directions to the 'T'. I do ALL the steps, use what they say to use and how they say to use it.
My car is a driver and I've not had any problems with it.
65 Monza
Cincinnati, OH
Project65

Post by Project65 »

Another means of rust removal is chemical treatment. POR-15 makes a “metal prep”. It’s a phosphoric acid based liquid that is sprayed on, allowed to sit, and rinsed off with water. Others brands also offer similar products.

Then top-coat. You can topcoat also directly over rust as the product will adhere and given it’s properties, it creates an air-proof barrier to prevent rust from forming.

Here’s how I treated my truck frame.
Attachments
Before acid treatment
Before acid treatment
After acid treatment.  No more rust.
After acid treatment. No more rust.
Top coat with POR-15
Top coat with POR-15
John
1965 Monza Sedan “The Phoenix”. Rebuild in Progress.
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Ive got some rust stuff. I think it's good. I'll have to get back with you all on what is. I paid 35 a gallon.
How about wire brushing the bad areas and then sanding everything?
It sounds like the POR does better with sanding?
Any other product names for coating? NAPA has some stuff it's 150 a gallon. But I don't see needing that much.
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Great job on your truck!
Project65

Post by Project65 »

I’ve also used “Rust Seal” by KBM. Both products utilize the same principle. They’re an isocyanate based moisture cure coating that seal the metal and create a chemical layer barrier which prevents anything (oxygen, water) from reaching the metal. No oxygen, no rust. They’re both expensive. I recently paid around $80 a quart for rust seal, but they’re worth it. Don’t get it on your skin. It won’t come off. I’ve ordered the rust seal through Summit Racing. Ships to your door. You can apply POR directly over rust. If you sand, not too smooth. It sticks better to a rough surface. If you simply wire wheel, that should be good enough. Moisture will cure the POR. Don’t let any water get into your open can. It will cure the product in the can. Just dip a brush and brush it on.
John
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Got it. Thanks John
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

I'm going to see what I can get locally. Here is my situation.
I haven't got the drivers seat out yet.
What do you think?
Attachments
20230503_183902.jpg
20230503_183849.jpg
20230503_183845.jpg
20230503_183842.jpg
20230503_183818.jpg
20230503_183814.jpg
20230503_183749.jpg
20230503_183400.jpg
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Ok we're on it!
Attachments
20230506_165609.jpg
20230506_165557.jpg
20230506_165547.jpg
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Based on your pictures I take it you have a convertible? Dennis
Project65

Post by Project65 »

That’s getting after it. As 66vairguy stated previously, a wire wheel works well. Looks like you’re using perhaps a grinding disc or a flap-disc. I use typically a coarse wire wheel. Mostly a flat one, but sometimes a cone wheel depending on the area if it’s hard to reach. Makes a ton of rust dust. Then shop-vac out the dust. :my02:

If you use a coarse wire wheel, use with caution as wires will break off and become flying projectiles. A couple of years back, I had a wire stick in my leg. I was wearing shorts. It completely buried itself in my skin. I tried to dig it out but couldn’t. I gave it time to work its way out, but after 6 months it still hadn’t. I had to have it surgically removed. It was about an inch long.

As for the rusted out hole in the floor, hopefully the rest of the floor is solid. What’s your plan for the repair?
John
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Project65 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:40 pm That’s getting after it. As 66vairguy stated previously, a wire wheel works well. Looks like you’re using perhaps a grinding disc or a flap-disc. I use typically a coarse wire wheel. Mostly a flat one, but sometimes a cone wheel depending on the area if it’s hard to reach. Makes a ton of rust dust. Then shop-vac out the dust. :my02:

If you use a coarse wire wheel, use with caution as wires will break off and become flying projectiles. A couple of years back, I had a wire stick in my leg. I was wearing shorts. It completely buried itself in my skin. I tried to dig it out but couldn’t. I gave it time to work its way out, but after 6 months it still hadn’t. I had to have it surgically removed. It was about an inch long.

As for the rusted out hole in the floor, hopefully the rest of the floor is solid. What’s your plan for the repair?
BTDT --- I ended up in the emergency room to get a piece of wire removed from my EYEBALL! I was wearing glasses, but the surgeon said the metal bounced off my check and up into my eyeball. He said it happens more than he likes and I should ALWAYS wears a full face mask when grinding. Now I use them and always have spares. See https://www.harborfreight.com/face-shie ... ace+shield
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

What a story. Lucky I haven't had either happen. We will be more careful Chris, my helper insists on wearing nothing. But I'll talk to him again.
In my opinion the floor is pretty solid other than the one area. That said I have no reference, so I really couldn't say for sure. There are no other holes. There are a couple of problem areas that I can't seem to get all the rust.
We are using a disc sander and different wire attachments on a plug in drill. We spent a few hours each day this weekend and couldn't finish. But almost.
It's a big job.
My nightmare were the kick panel vents.
How the HELL do you get them out. I broke them. Am I a dumb ass?

We did some more work on it after these photos. More to come.
P.S. my car is a coupe, why did you think it was a convertible.
P.P.S. the sander is the cheapest ever and I can't find a wire attachment to fit it. (I did not get the sander new. garage sale for like 5 bucks) but it's working. I'll prolly throw it away after this.
Attachments
20230507_114026.jpg
20230507_114034.jpg
20230507_114038.jpg
20230507_114028.jpg
Last edited by NMVair on Sun May 07, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”