New Corvair Owner

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
David Payton

New Corvair Owner

Post by David Payton »

So last Monday morning, at 5am, my buddy and I left Bakersfield headed to Portland, Oregon with his new Ford F350 and his new car trailer and picked up my 1965 Corvair Monza. I'm really happy with it. Sure it needs some fixing up here & there but I was expecting that and I'm looking forward to it. :wave:
IMG_5745.png
IMG_5745.png (152.48 KiB) Viewed 468 times
flat6_musik

Re: New Corvair Owner

Post by flat6_musik »

Welcome! I love it!
miatawnt2b

Post by miatawnt2b »

welcome! Lots of help to be had here.
-J
65 Corsa 4 speed coupe. Bought new Feb 65, 4th owner, no wrecks no rust.
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

Welcome and car looks great! Hope you enjoy the car!
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: :wave: Welcome, David, to the Corvair Forum!

I enlarged and retouched your photograph a bit so we could see your 1965 Monza a little more clearly. It looks like a very nice car! When you have the time I hope you will take additional detailed images of the interior, trunk, engine compartment, etc. so we can see the remainder of your Corvair find. Can you tell us more about it? Which engine does it have? (95,hp, 110hp, 140hp). Is it fitted with a Powerglide automatic transmission or a 4-speed?

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your mechanical knowledge and experience, your Corvair interests, and your goals for your Corvair. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Photographs tell us a lot — so if possible, could you post some detailed images of your Corvair? Close-up pictures of the VIN tag (next to the battery) and Body Tag (near the distributor) in the engine compartment will also tell us a lot about the car, and I will be able to decode both tags for you to provide you with more details about your Corvair. Joining a local Corvair owner's group may be a big help in getting answers and recommendations that would be useful to you.

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts in Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

Joining CORSA (Corvair Society of America) — if you are not already a member — and a local Corvair club chapter is another good way to see and to learn more about Corvairs. You might check to see if there is a CORSA chapter in your area. Contacting a local club and making Corvair-knowledgeable friends can often be a big help.
Image :link: https://www.corvair.org/index.php/compo ... =9&reset=0
CORSA (Corvair Society of America) Chapter Locator

:welcome:
1965 Monza Coupe (2).jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
David Payton

Post by David Payton »

Hi folks, I've been in the old car hobby since my sophomore year in high school in 1972. I started with Edsels and belonged to two Edsel clubs, I had a 1958 Pacer and a 1958 Roundup. I was doing the Edsel thing for 20 years and I was also in the Model T Ford Club of America for 20 years as well and I had a 1926 roadster.
I posted one image of my 1965 Monza earlier, that I bought in Portland, Or. and trailered it back to Bakersfield, Calif.
I'd love to post more images but I guess I was lucky the first time and it's apparently not as easy to post images here as Face Book, Twitter or Instagram. So hopefully that gets fixed. :dontknow:
miatawnt2b

Post by miatawnt2b »

When you post, use the Attachments tab at the bottom to add in image files. Then select "add inline"
It's the simplest, most sure fire way to add your images that I have found. (Credit to Brad for pointing me toward this method)
-J
65 Corsa 4 speed coupe. Bought new Feb 65, 4th owner, no wrecks no rust.
David Payton

Post by David Payton »

This addition of a screen over the fan is, an interesting addition on my Corvair. I haven't seen this on anyone elsess car. :dontknow:
tempImage7C61lS.gif
steve57

Post by steve57 »

Took a good look at Dave’s Corvair, seems to be a nice solid car, has a few issues but nothing major. Maybe a slight amount of rust under windshield trim. Originally California car, purchased out of Portland, Oregon area from a Corvair guy. I think he got a good deal. Didn’t hear it run but will get to later when he gets title sorted out.
Steve
Bakersfield,CA
1969 monza coupe
110, 4speed
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

David Payton wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:10 pm This addition of a screen over the fan is, an interesting addition on my Corvair. I haven't seen this on anyone elsess car. :dontknow:

tempImage7C61lS.gif
That's a new one on me! HOWEVER --- the first thing I learned when working on a Corvair engine is --- COVER THE FAN OPENING (towel works) BEFORE REMOVING ANYTHING OR USING A TOOL IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. It is an unwritten rule that sooner or later you WILL drop a part or tool down the fan opening and have to remove the spark plug wires, carburetors, alternator, and the top shroud to retrieve the item you dropped. Needless to say remove the covering BEFORE starting the engine.

NEVER allow a shop rag inside the engine compartment with the engine running. Murphy's law says it WILL get sucked into the fan and shoved into the engine cooling fins. More than one person has found a shop rag on the engine when the shroud was removed.

Feel free to ignore this advice at your own peril - LOL.
David Payton

Post by David Payton »

steve57 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:53 pm Took a good look at Dave’s Corvair, seems to be a nice solid car, has a few issues but nothing major. Maybe a slight amount of rust under windshield trim. Originally California car, purchased out of Portland, Oregon area from a Corvair guy. I think he got a good deal. Didn’t hear it run but will get to later when he gets title sorted out.
Thanks so much Steve for coming over to have a look at my Monza, I very much appreciate your input. :not worthy:
Stauffcat

Post by Stauffcat »

66vairguy wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:39 pm
David Payton wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:10 pm This addition of a screen over the fan is, an interesting addition on my Corvair. I haven't seen this on anyone elsess car. :dontknow:

tempImage7C61lS.gif
That's a new one on me! HOWEVER --- the first thing I learned when working on a Corvair engine is --- COVER THE FAN OPENING (towel works) BEFORE REMOVING ANYTHING OR USING A TOOL IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT. It is an unwritten rule that sooner or later you WILL drop a part or tool down the fan opening and have to remove the spark plug wires, carburetors, alternator, and the top shroud to retrieve the item you dropped. Needless to say remove the covering BEFORE starting the engine.

NEVER allow a shop rag inside the engine compartment with the engine running. Murphy's law says it WILL get sucked into the fan and shoved into the engine cooling fins. More than one person has found a shop rag on the engine when the shroud was removed.

Feel free to ignore this advice at your own peril - LOL.
Great advice that I have never heard! I will be heeding this in the future.

Return to “Introductions”