1964 AHRA Winternationals "Mighty Little Corvair"

Autocross, Landspeed, Drag Racing, Road Racing, Other Driving/Racing topics
65Ragtop

1964 AHRA Winternationals "Mighty Little Corvair"

Post by 65Ragtop »

My brother won his class in the 1964 AHRA Winternationals at the Beeline Dragway in Scottsdale AZ in a '55 Studebaker with a supercharged Avanti engine in it. I was looking around for records of this and found that early AHRA records are difficult to come by. I did find, however, that the final rounds of the event had been recorded for posterity "live" by Fleetwood Sounds and was available for sale as a phono album. It has since been digitized and is available on a CD. http://www.fleetwoodsounds.com/catalog/ ... p?cPath=23 How cool is that! Lot's of big names of the era are there. The sounds are awsome! I thought this was all lost to time but my brothers winning run against a Dodge is there too! I gave it to him for his birthday along with his "restored" trophy.

About 16:38 into track 2 the crowd goes wild over a car introduced as "The Mighty Little Corvair" from California. From the sounds of it, it seems to have had a Corvair engine in it. Hard to tell, really....but? It made it to the final round and went up against the Herrera Bros. 40 Willys Gasser. The Willys took the race with an 11.96@106.13. They did not give an ET for the Corvair but it clocked in at 99.44 mph.

Does anyone know anything about this Corvair or it's owner/driver? Seems like some cool history here. :checkeredflag:
Attachments
Soundtrack
Soundtrack
64 AHRA Winternationls.jpg (79.35 KiB) Viewed 697 times
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: 1964 AHRA Winternationals "Mighty Little Corvair"

Post by Scott H »

What a cool present to give your brother!
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 1964 AHRA Winternationals "Mighty Little Corvair"

Post by Am-Iron »

That is some cool history maybe try the HAMB there are a lot of racers on there maybe even the guy with the Corvair, or Willy's
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Flaps up, Balls out!”