Gas heater gurus... Some input please?

All Models and Years
lostboy

Gas heater gurus... Some input please?

Post by lostboy »

I'm at the final stage of install. My main question is, I made a section of 1.5" pipe for the heater exhaust. It is very close to the tank, is this of any concern? Should I wrap it or does it not get hot enough to be a potential problem? My secondary question is, after it passes through the bulk head / firewall area and gets level with the floor, is it really necessary to have it come all the way out back? I hate to have a pipe dangling underneath of a flat bottom car. I know, fumes. If my floor (new) is sealed up should it be an issue to have a simple dump tube?
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
cnicol

Re: Gas heater gurus... Some input please?

Post by cnicol »

The normal gas heater exhaust pipe runs pretty close to the tank. Evidently that's not a problem. The end of the pipe is about even with the passenger's feet (except under the floor of course.) Just a suggestion: Why don't you add your car type and year to a signature so responders don't have to guess what you're working on? It would sure be a help. Thanks.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I know next to nothing about the Corvair gasoline heater, but I do have some reference material (attached) which may prove to be useful if you don't already have copies.
Attachments
Servicing the Corvair Gas Heater - Part 1.pdf
Servicing the Corvair Gas Heater - Part 1
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
Servicing the Corvair Gas Heater - Part 2.pdf
Servicing the Corvair Gas Heater - Part 2
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 11 - Accessories.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 11 - Accessories
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 21 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

cnicol wrote:The normal gas heater exhaust pipe runs pretty close to the tank. Evidently that's not a problem. The end of the pipe is about even with the passenger's feet (except under the floor of course.) Just a suggestion: Why don't you add your car type and year to a signature so responders don't have to guess what you're working on? It would sure be a help. Thanks.
That's a good idea. Thanks!
-Steve
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

bbodie52 wrote:I know next to nothing about the Corvair gasoline heater, but I do have some reference material (attached) which may prove to be useful if you don't already have copies.
Yes I have those documents. I even have the dealership install manual. Thank you bbodie.
-Steve
spyderman64

Post by spyderman64 »

On the FC's the fuel supply and overflow lines run VERY close to the exhaust pipe. The corporate lawyers would have a stroke if anything like that was attempted today!
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

spyderman64 wrote:On the FC's the fuel supply and overflow lines run VERY close to the exhaust pipe. The corporate lawyers would have a stroke if anything like that was attempted today!
Hahaha ok I guess I'm safe then. I must say that after bolting the heater up, I have a crack in my firewall about 3 inches long going into the cowl. Must be thing there. It was pretty rusty... Seam sealer to the rescue!
-Steve

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”