Window Regulator help

All Models and Years
SfcColts

Window Regulator help

Post by SfcColts »

I am in need of some help with a window issue I have had since I purchased my Corvair.

As you roll the window down, the front edge goes faster than the rear causing it to bind. No issues rolling the window up. If you apply pressure to the rear side of the glass the window goes down fine. This is a problem when you want to roll the window down as you are going down the road.
window.jpeg
I have taken the door card off, greased the channels, and inspected the rollers. They all seem to be fine. Once the door is opened up you can see the window drop in the front as you are trying to roll it down. I did notice what appears to be a bend or bow in the vertical track of the window. I'm not sure if it got bent or if it came with a bowed. I tried to take a picture of this but couldn't get a good shot. It is behind where my finger is.
window regulator.jpeg
So I guess my questions are:
Is the slight bow in that channel factory?
Is there an adjustment screw for the window channels to keep the window in them?
What an I missing?
65 Arrival Blue Monza
64 Palomar Red Monza
terribleted

Re: Window Regulator help

Post by terribleted »

Most likely causes are fuzzy material in the rear vertical window run is coming apart causing a lump and therefore a bind. Rear channel out of adjustment (too tight toward front which would mean it is adjusted too high in the door). Damage to rear vertical window run (on a late model it is curved some not straight), or other damage to regulator itself causing a bind.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”