Corvair knockoffs

All Models and Years
AZScott

Corvair knockoffs

Post by AZScott »

Could someone from the forum help me with a question I have on Chevrolet offered knockoffs. I understood that knockoff wire wheels were an expensive option offered Chevrolet for several years. What years were they offered and did they come in 13 and 14 sizes ?
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Corvair knockoffs

Post by bbodie52 »

Here is some info on the Kelsey Hayes wire wheel option for the EM Corvair...
Kelsey Hayes wire wheels were offered as an option on Corvairs from approximately 1962 through 1964. While I have yet to see any reliable source for the number of Corvairs so equipped between these years, I have seen numbers reported as low as 300 sets to as high as 500 sets. It is important to note that a full set of Kelsey Hayes wheels consisted of five wheels, four active and one spare. Regardless of the actual number of Corvairs equipped with Kelsey Hayes wheels, most sources note that as a $495 option on a $2,810 car, this option was a major expense and few owners appeared to be up for the expense.

Kelsey Hayes wire wheels as a package on a Corvair, consist of the following parts:

1. Five Wheels
2. Four Adapters
3. Four Knock-Offs
4.One spare tire adapter
5.One lead hammer

Corvair Kelsey Hayes Wire Wheels Value
:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,412911

Corvair of the Month SEPTEMBER 2017
:link: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=13294&p=91768&hili ... sey#p91768

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks Brad,
It looks like from the picture the adapters would work with either 4 bolt or 5 bolt wheels. Since the years offered were 62 through 64 I would believe most (maybe all) would be 13" wheels, but do you know if a 14" was offered also through Chevrolet ? I thought a 14"' was available, so maybe this was only an aftermarket thing.
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

The picture is deceiving. The "extra" holes you see are to fit over the rivets used to fasten the drum to the front hub on an Early. As far as 13" vs. 14".....you're on your own.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

If you look close you will see 4 holes & 4 studs & nuts. Actually you can only see 3 of each, the hub hides the other ones.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”