Late distributor early engine

All Models and Years
kris

Late distributor early engine

Post by kris »

Hi, I am new to this forum and bought my first corvair a couple months ago, 1962 700.

I bought it in non running condition from a co worker claiming it needed a fuel pump. Replaced with a new fuel pump the PO had bought. I was able to get it to run after setting point gap.

It ran but not very well... It will idle with dist in one position but not drive until I adjust it to another position.

It is hard to to keep running and cannot seem to get it tuned. Popping above half throttle/ hesitating.

I have rebuilt the carbs. Fuel pressure is about 7 psi which I know is to high as it should be 5 but I also disconnected fuel pump and ran it just off the fuel in the bowls and I did not run better.

The PO replaced the distributor with a brand new one from napa.
The brand new distributor however is part number 1110330.
I apparently need 1110271 (1962 power glide) according to a chart I found online.

I am not sure if they use any body to rebuild them to the specs you require or not? As I asked my coworkerand he claims he told them the specs of the car.

This ca was driving and driving well apparently in 2008

So ultimately I am wondering:
1. Would this late model distributor cause this car to run that terribly that it would render the car un tuneable or drivable?
2. What do you think is rendering his car untunable? I have rebuilt carbs, throttle shafts seem a little loose but po drove car on highway and it just still seems like timing.

Thanks for your help,

Kris from Revelstoke
Jerry Whitt

Re: Late distributor early engine

Post by Jerry Whitt »

The popping and hesitation is unsettling. I suggest starting with a compression test. Once the test is complete, let us know the results. The popping noise could be a valve problem and adjustments wont really help. If the compression readings are good, we can work out the details
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Steve62

Post by Steve62 »

These engines are very flexible in regards to timing...a lot of owners simply play with the timing until it drives right. I could be wrong, but I think the only difference between distributors are the centrifugal advance weights, and the vacuum advance.

Have you verified the spark plug wiring, following the firing order? Has it had a full tune-up - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, points and condenser?
Check for vacuum leaks, and for a leaking tranny modulator (trans fluid in the vacuum line).
Could be better, could be worse...could be riding in a hearse!
b74eqcm

Post by b74eqcm »

I agree with Jerry. Start with a compression test. Let's verify the internals - then we can diagnose the bolt on stuff.
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
kris

Post by kris »

Ok I will do a compression test and get back to you guys.

Just have to replace starter nose cone and verify ring gear first.
spyderman64

Post by spyderman64 »

Set the timing to the new distributor specs, not the original specs. The Corvair Tech Guide has the specs for most all Corvair distributors. If memory serves, the number you listed is for a 140 h.p. distributor.
kris

Post by kris »

Ok, will do, its a brand new delco distributor from napa.... I don't know how they rebuild them... But I think it's a one size fits all kinda rebuilder, instead of carefully ensuring it provides the 40 distinct different distributors needed...

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”