Flywheel rattle

All Models and Years
jeffinpa

Flywheel rattle

Post by jeffinpa »

OK guys, Looking for some experience here. I recently acquired a 65 180 turbo motor and four speed for my 65 Monza Conv't, to replace the 95 HP and three speed. Both of these powertrains need the flywheels repaired/replaced as they both have the dreaded flywheel rattle. My question is, what is the best solution? Do I get solid flywheel for the 180? Or get a rebuilt riveted? Or bolted? Or, do I bolt it myself? And finally, I saw a vendor selling WELDED flywheels. Anyone have experience with these? Can I get mine welded? Or what?

By the way, the turbo motor and trans is in a sand rail that was custom built with a mixture of VW parts, the 65 motor, and wht looks like VW rear with custom swing axles with Corvair u-joints, or maybe EM Corvair axles/backing plates on VW suspension-won't know until I take it apart.

Thanks in advance,
Jeffinpa
spyderman64

Re: Flywheel rattle

Post by spyderman64 »

Get a rerivited flywheel or use bolts and repair it yourself. DO NOT use a solid flywheel unless you like broken crankshafts..
Tom Z

Post by Tom Z »

NO welding,the weld WILL 'shrink the parts off-center!! (among other things..) Unless you have the experience BOLTING a flywheel, don't; unless you dial-indicate it (properly) to center it,you'll probably run off center..let the few who do it handle it, and send the pressure plate (even the disc,they're cheap)..'bite the bullet'..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I'm a little confused by your post. Does the powertrain configuration you purchased utilize a Corvair transaxle or a VW transaxle? My understanding is that connecting a VW transaxle to a Corvair engine requires either a reverse-rotation camshaft to reverse the rotation of the engine to match the needs of the VW transaxle, or the VW differential must be modified to flip the ring gear to reverse the rotation drive at that point to make everything turn in the right direction. Which do you have?

If a reverse-grind camshaft was used, your engine will have to be disassembled and rebuilt with a normal camshaft to utilize in your Corvair. If a VW transaxle with a modified differential is in place, then you would also have a VW transmission, which will not fit your Corvair to replace a 3-speed Corvair transmission with a VW 4-speed transmission. If you have a sand rail that uses an early model swing axle Corvair transaxle, that differential will not fit in a late model Corvair.

The EM Corvair transmission may bolt on to your LM differential, if you actually have an EM 4-speed Corvair transmission. However, the 3-speed and 4-speed input shafts are a different length and 1960-63 input shafts use a different number of splines, when compared to a 1964-65 transmission. The front mounting bracket is also different.
Transmission Input Shafts.jpg
You must also confirm whether you have a flat finger 1960-1963 clutch assembly or a bent finger 1964-1969 clutch assembly, to ensure that the right combination (including throw out bearing, pivot ball stud, etc.) are used.

Can you post the engine serial number (located to the right of the alternator, between the oil filter adapter and the upper shroud)? It should be a 7 character number that begins with the letter "T", followed by four numbers, and ending with a 2-letter suffix code. For a turbocharged engine, the suffix code should be "RL" for a 1965-1966 180 hp Turbocharged engine, or "YR" for a 1962-1964 150 hp Turbocharged engine.

Some pictures of your engine and transaxle from the sand rail should help with identification.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Over the years there have been many flywheel "fixes" tried.

Some history - A solid flywheel was originally tried by GM engineering and it was a disaster. A long story that engineer Benzinger told at a Corvair convention years ago - bottom line NO SOLID FLYWHEELS for normal driving on the street. A few tried lightweight aluminum units for racing - but the use was limited so there is no real world durability information.

There have been a few disaster stories posted about welded up flywheels - not an acceptable fix.

The Corvair flywheel is a three piece affair and basically a complex flex plate.

Only two proven fixes - bolting or hot rivets. "corventuredave" posts here and does both and is well regarded. Clark's sells hot riveted flywheels by "corventuredave". Not sure who does Clark's bolted flywheels.

There's more to it than simply putting in bolts to replace the rivets. The flywheel assembly has to be centered/aligned and balanced to close tolerances.
jeffinpa

Post by jeffinpa »

Hey all,
Thanks for the quick replies, and I apologize for not responding sooner. It appears that I will "bite the bullet" and buy a reconditioned flywheel, that has been bolted, resurfaced, and balanced. To Brad, sorry I wasn't more clear in my previous post. The sand rail has Corvair engine, trans and diff. I'm not sure of the exact pedigree, since I have not yet removed it to check numbers, etc. All I have to go on is what the previous owner toldme. I know it's a turbo engine, am assuming (I know, I know) that it's a four speed, and the diff is definitely Corvair, because I can see the U joints at the case. Swing axle VWs do not have visible U joints. The suspension appears to be VW, but it has been modified, to say the least. The rear wheels have four lugs, I THINK (there's that word again) that VW used five lugs on all of there cars. Anyway, thanks to everyone.

Jeff
Bertle

Post by Bertle »

VW used 5 lug hubs until the 68 model after which they were 4 lug. I have a 68 beetle which was the first year of the later upright headlight model and it has 4 lug hubs.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”