possible buy, 1966 convertible...ok to add A/C?

Anything Corvair related
potato124

possible buy, 1966 convertible...ok to add A/C?

Post by potato124 »

Corvair guru's,

So reading several history of the Corvair postings, seems the 1966 was mechanically a good model year. I found one for sale. Interior is not original I think, but overall the body and car looks pretty good. Comments welcome:
http://www.countryclassiccars.com/html/spcars_222.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, given this car would live in Texas, is adding an A/C kit to this from Clark's out of the question? Anyone have experience with that?
Skrain

Re: possible buy, 1966 convertible...ok to add A/C?

Post by Skrain »

Out of the Question to add A/C? No, not really. :think:
Worth the time and expense? That's YOUR call, actually. :dontknow:
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

That one might be a pretty good car. Only a hands on inspection (preferably by someone who knows what to look for) would tell for sure. From the photos I can tell it needs a new top (photo 8 tatters going into the 1/4 glass area) and has received a sloppy repaint along the way (photos 9 and 10 heavy overspray on items in the edges of the trunk and engine compartment). The exterior photos are not close or detailed enough to really see the condition of the paint nor to looks for waves, bubbles, and flaws that would indicate corrosion underneath, but, often a sloppy repaint comes with some sloppy or cheap body work. The seating though not stock might be very nice. The exhaust system is certainly not stock but might be ok....those tips I think might drag going thru dips or rain gutters, they are low and pretty far back as well. Good luck in your search.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
DT-VAIR

Post by DT-VAIR »

I've read a lot of bad reviews about that place online. I pass it every so often when I'm on a road trip and see some good cars on their lot - but reviews online have made me shy away from looking more. Take a look for yourself - just wanted to give you a heads up on what I've seen. Good luck and definitely take a look in person especially with a vert!That seems like a lot for that car too. And the pictures have snow it them - that's pretty old. Just my 2 cents!
1st one - 65 Monza Vert with power top and 110 with a 4 spd. Was a bit dilapidated but fun, 2nd was a 1965 Corvair Monza Convertible. PG - 1960 or 61 or 63 80 hp engine - we think...
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dagdal1967 »

I'm having the Clarks AC kit put on my 64 right now. I decided to go ahead with the Clarks kit after talking to Rusty Rose, the guy who engineered the kit before he sold the plans to Clarks.

There are a number of things you need to think about, as outlined by the Clarks AC Primier (http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... &page=AC-1 )

* Sealing Your Engine Compartment
* De-flashing your Cylinder Heads
* Upgrade to Synthetic Oil
* Check and clean your Oil Cooler
* Remove Lower Shrouds
* Consider aluminum oil pan and valve covers
* Adjust and seal your heater and air vents
* Tint your Windows
* Make sure your doors are snug and sealed.
* Upgradet to an Alternator
* Add a Relay to your AC Switch.

So there is a lot to get done to make sure the car is "ready" for AC. To me, a lot of it is all part of the process of getting a car "up to spec" but to some, this is too much work, especially if it's not going to be a daily driver.

I'll let you know how mine goes.
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...
Skrain

Post by Skrain »

$1700.00+ ??? OUCH! :eek:
I'll just put the top down...
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
dagdal1967
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by dagdal1967 »

The price had gone up since I bought mine quite a while back. Just now getting around to putting it in.
Doug Gault
Fort Worth, Texas

- 2013 Cadillac ATS Premium
- 1964 Palomar Red Corvair 900 Monza Club Coupe
- 1961 Lincoln Continental

The Air Cooled Addiction Continues...

Return to “Corvair Talk”