Interior color change

Anything Corvair related
Busted_Knuckles

Interior color change

Post by Busted_Knuckles »

Doing a color change on the wife's em inside and out of course so being as this build is being done on the cheap well in some areas anyway the task at hand is change the blue interior to white/gray We're talking white seats front and rear. Yes I know about interior kits from Clark's but as I mentioned "cheap" be the word here.
Has anyone used any dyes on their seats if so which one and how were your results.

I myself have had ZERO luck using interior dyes so I am very interested in any positive experiences.... :tu:

Thanks for your input.....
Skrain

Re: Interior color change

Post by Skrain »

From what I have seen in the past, trying to dye White over any darker color is a HUGE pain in the Kiester!
You might just have to bite the bullet on the seats, at least, and go to Clark's.
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
kawtoy

Post by kawtoy »

I have had good luck with the vinyl spray but much like a paint job is it 90% about the prep. I bought high quality products from auto detail shop (not Autozone or other chain). Use the cleaner that they recommend. When you think it is clean you need to clean it two more times. I have gone from tan/black and black/red but never tried white. I have no doubt that it will take more coats but if you prep it right you should get a quality finish. I don't remember the brand I used. It was made for marine applications. You want something that will resist UV light unless the car is going to be a garage queen.
1961 Lakewood
1941 Desoto 2dr Deluxe
1973 Triumph Bonneville
1957 Simson S2 (only one in USA)
1966 Honda CA95
1980 KZ1000
shremick

Post by shremick »

I used automotive store spray can vinyl dye to change maroon seats to light tan. I prepped by wiping down the seats with lacquer thinner and then applied 3-4 coats of the dye. The dye covered well and lasted for many years in a car I drive A LOT. Eventually I rebuilt the seats including new seat covers but the old dyed covers still looked good when I took them off. The color change held up well and I would not hesitate to do it again. I believe I bought the dye at Pepboys but am not sure of the brand name.
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

I used some white spray I got from Eastwood on my headliner along with the prep or primer spray and it looks like a new headliner. I did spray it over a stained white headliner though but they say it will cover and I believe them. The can says you can even use it on carpet. It's a little pricey but it does appear to be a good product and a LOT cheaper than a $1200.00 interior. The investment in one can of prep and paint might be a good idea to try it out. Good luck.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
Busted_Knuckles

Post by Busted_Knuckles »

Well I did the headliner with SEM's bright white, they didn't advise using any primer or prep other then a good cleaning and although the coverage was pretty good you still see a blueish tint. I attribute that to having to spray the dye upside down which we all know how easy that isn't. I would have much preferred a roll or brush on product for this reason. I have a few idea's yet to try for a final coat. I am in doubt weather or not I want to waste time money and product on the seats. One needs to be recovered so new upholstery for the driver seat is in order. Gonna have to think this one through.
Skrain

Post by Skrain »

I kiinda think in the long run you might just be happier with the new upholstery from Clark's...if you have to get new driver's seat upholstery anyway.
My entire interior was done with their kits.
Attachments
IMG_1863.JPG
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup

Return to “Corvair Talk”