Rebuild Corvair Wire Wheel Hubcaps

Need to know how? Want to show how?
croderique
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Rebuild Corvair Wire Wheel Hubcaps

Post by croderique »

I looked everywhere to find a video when I started to refurbish my wire wheel hubcaps but couldn't find anything. So, after refurbishing 7 Corvair 13" wire wheel hubcaps, I decided to post a set of video's on how to do it with my experience on the 8th hubcap.
I have posted it on youtube, see

Let me know what you think. One difference in this set of videos from others I have seen on youtube is I use a tripod! I wish everyone would. It was shot with a Sony Point & Shoot so the sound is not the best. I sold my professional video / still cameras after we got out of the wedding photography/video business.
Chuck Roderique
1966 Corvair Monza Convertible, 110 H.P. 4 sp, Aztec Bronze with Bronze Interior
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Rebuild Corvair Wire Wheel Hubcaps

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: :woo:
A long, arduous process, but the outcome looked great! Do you have any final photographs, maybe before and after, that you can post on the Corvair Forum?
Corvair Wire Wheel Hubcap Restoration.jpg
For convenience, I brought them over to the Forum...

Corvair Wire Wheel Hubcap Part 1

Corvair Wire Wheel Hubcap Part 2

Corvair Wire Wheel Hubcap Part 3

Corvair Wire Wheel Hubcap Part 4

Corvair Wire Wheel Hubcap - Last

:ty: Thanks for taking the time to document this procedure!

If you want a historical perspective, please read on...

HISTORICAL: A look back at simulated wire wheel covers. Part 1: the 1950s (46 Photos)
:link: http://www.examiner.com/article/a-look- ... -the-1950s

HISTORICAL: A look back at simulated wire wheel covers. Part 2: the 1960s (50 Photos)
:link: http://www.examiner.com/article/a-look- ... -the-1960s

HISTORICAL: A look back at simulated wire wheel covers. Part 3: The 1970s (50 Photos)
:link: http://www.examiner.com/article/a-look- ... -the-1970s

HISTORICAL: A look back at simulated wire wheel covers. Part 4: The 1980s (50 Photos)
:link: http://www.examiner.com/article/a-look- ... -the-1980s
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
croderique
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by croderique »

65 Hubcap before refurb.
65 Hubcap before refurb.
65 Hubcap before refurb 1 - Notice the missing paint & bent wires. What you don't see is the tree sap, spider webs and dog "stuff" on it.
65 Hubcap before refurb 1 - Notice the missing paint & bent wires. What you don't see is the tree sap, spider webs and dog "stuff" on it.
65 Hubcap after refurb
65 Hubcap after refurb
Hope these pics show up. First time to upload anything.

A couple of pics of the 65 spinner wire wheel before refurbishing and 1 after. Quite a difference.
What you don't smell is the tree sap & dog "stuff" on it. Nor see all the spider webs inside and on the back.
Thanks
Chuck
Chuck Roderique
1966 Corvair Monza Convertible, 110 H.P. 4 sp, Aztec Bronze with Bronze Interior
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Chuck wrote:...What you don't smell is the tree sap & dog "stuff" on it. Nor see all the spider webs inside and on the back...
Some might call that "Patina"! But they look great minus the "Patina"! :rolling:
Wikipedia wrote:Patina

A bronze coin of the Han Dynasty - circa 1st century BC with green patina
Patina (pron.: /ˈpætɨnə/ or /pəˈtiːnə/) is a tarnish that forms on the surface of copper, bronze and similar metals (produced by oxidation or other chemical processes); stone;[1] a sheen on wooden furniture produced by age, wear, and polishing; or any such acquired change of a surface through age and exposure. Patinas can provide a protective layer to materials that would otherwise be damaged by corrosion or weathering. They may also be aesthetically appealing.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
corvairdog

Post by corvairdog »

Chuck - thanks so much for taking the time to post these videos! I watched them all as I'm about to start this project on 65 wire wheels with spinners. I had no idea how to start or what to use and your videos are awesome! :goodpost:
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

For wire covers that are not missing paint nor too badly tarnished a great way to clean them up is in your kitchen. The dishwasher works very well at cleaning them. Use some anti-spotting rinse agent and do it while the wife is out:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
croderique
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by croderique »

@ terribleted. Sounds good, but my wife would have to be gone a full day to do all 8 wire wheel hubcaps. :^}}
Chuck Roderique
iabuell

Post by iabuell »

I've been wondering for awhile how to refurb my hubcaps and those videos really helped, thanks! Finished all four today with the help of my dad. Its was a lot harder than I thought and took 7 straight hours :O.

We found out that lacquer thinner and steel wool were a better choice to take off the old paint.
Mist Green 1968 Corvair Monza 2 door Coupe 110 hp 2 Speed

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”