pensylvania bondo bucket

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
mart

Re: pensylvania bondo bucket

Post by mart »

Not much visible progress at the moment , but lots of hard graft going on, fenderwell/engine bay repairs taking shape
Attachments
zzzzzzzcscalex 037.jpg
TexasUK
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TexasUK »

Hi Mart, I'm in the UK as well, hope to see you at a show someday.

Can I just ask if you had to drop the engine to get to the heater, or is there another way? mines an early model though, so it might not be the same anyway.

If you think we might be able to save any of the costs by combining delivery from Clarks (or wherever) sometime, then let's see if we can work it out.
mart

Post by mart »

Hi, The heater would have come out without dropping the engine , albeit with a struggle to get at the rusty mounting screws, I needed to get at the rusty floor above the trans etc. ,dont know if its the same on an early. I find the shipping costs from Clarks pretty reasonable when you consider they are on your doorstep before you have time to switch your computer off. Whats not reasonable is the massive wedge our government demands when the parts arrive, even used parts get charged import and VAT. I wonder if this also applies to your own parts you send for refurb, I bet it does. It would be nice to see another Corvair at a show, Ive seen Steve Reeds turbo at Steel City, and theres a guy on here ,local to me with a van which I havent seen for a while. Is yours the green coupe I saw in CA magazine?As you can see, mine is a long way off completion
cvair4life

Post by cvair4life »

flip Mart... don't take anything else off that car or it won't be a car anymore! Good on you for doing it justice though.
1966 Corsa Coupe
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

why is there metal blocking off the vents on the firewall?
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
mart

Post by mart »

cvair4life wrote:flip Mart... don't take anything else off that car or it won't be a car anymore! Good on you for doing it justice though.
I left the headliner on for now, but it will have to come off for drip rail and screen surround repairs, I would like to fit something back on somewhere before doing this ,just to say that I am actually getting there :banghead:
mart

Post by mart »

Bobby65 wrote:why is there metal blocking off the vents on the firewall?
There isnt as far as I can see. Theres a tray of some sort just below the intake vent area, but thats not visible in pic
TikiRalf
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by TikiRalf »

:tu: keep on going !!
mart

Post by mart »

TikiRalf wrote::tu: keep on going !!
Thank Ralf...we'll get there , if it doesn't kill or cripple me first :banghead:
Bobby65

Post by Bobby65 »

oh that was my bad, it looks like its blocked off but i looked a mine and if you stand right it looks the same
Drive it like you stole it
65 Turbo Monza Coupe
64 monza convertible 4 spd
Grand Ledge, Michigan
mart

Post by mart »

Bobby65 wrote:oh that was my bad, it looks like its blocked off but i looked a mine and if you stand right it looks the same
I thought about blacking the intake area as the rest is going to be body colour, but Im sure to get overspray on it and spoil it.
mart

Post by mart »

proof that molasses de rusting does actually work , even if the process is a little slow
Attachments
zzzzzzzcscalex 042.jpg
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

That de-rusting looks like it worked very well! To bad they didnt submerg the entire car in it before you got it. :banghead:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
mart

Post by mart »

If they did that I would have been left with just the headliner and seats...........
boatbob2

Post by boatbob2 »

Hi Mart,i have to say,your work is very good,Ive never owned a Corvair with major rust,BUT,i dont buy one from further north that south Virginia,and I PERSONALLY INSPECT THEM,,(ive owned 9 Corvairs) if ANYONE is looking to buy a car sight un-seen,and the car is in NORTH FLORIDA let me know and i will inspect it for you,im afraid that i would be in jail,for burning that dealership to the ground,ive junked cars for rust,that werent nearly as bad as that.
mart

Post by mart »

No progress this month, damaged a disc in my back , this car is gonna cripple me.... :banghead:

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”