Rockauto F/C Brake Parts

Anything Corvair related
Phil Dally

Rockauto F/C Brake Parts

Post by Phil Dally »

Anybody have experience with this brake parts kit?

F/C same as many GM models from the 1950's-70's.

Vairy good price and I think we all know why that is.

Right now I need three sets for Greenie and Hulkster.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 02&jsn=451
Attachments
brakesfc.png
brakesfc.png (276.65 KiB) Viewed 311 times
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Rockauto F/C Brake Parts

Post by azdave »

I just got four new drums and brake shoe sets from RockAuto but didn't want coated drums or the brake hardware so not the same kit parts you mention exactly. After suffering with a drum that turned out to be 9 oz out of balance, I decided to just get new parts all around and start out fresh. 9 ounces is a lot of weight to attach to a drum and way more than could be drilled out on the opposite side to try to get rid of a bad tire vibration on the freeway. I already had new hardware, wheel cylinders, flex hoses and a master cylinder installed. I used DOT 5 silicone fluid (military surplus) like all my classics. I've got very few miles on these new drums and shoes so can't say much there yet but at least the new drums are not horribly out of balance like my old ones. Yes, the new Delco branded drums from China aren't perfectly balanced but way better than what came with my Greenbrier for sure.

Here is what I got last month.
(4) POWER STOP B228 shoes
(4) ACDELCO 18B382 drums

$234 delivered
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

but didn't want coated drums

I see you live in a desert! :rolling: Out here in the rusty east I only buy coated drums and rotors if I can! :tu: :chevy:

I also like Ceramlube! Real nice stuff for us rusty people. :whoa: :clap: :welcomeparty: :dogrun: :dogrun:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:
vairmech

Post by vairmech »

azdave wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:56 pm I just got four new drums and brake shoe sets from RockAuto but didn't want coated drums or the brake hardware so not the same kit parts you mention exactly. After suffering with a drum that turned out to be 9 oz out of balance, Snip
You probably lost a spot welded on weight from the drum, nothing you can do but put one back on or replace it as you did.
Ken Hand
248 613 8586
vairmech@aol.com
Corsa Past President
Corvanatics Vice Prez
Chair 2007 Detroit Convention
Co-chair 2014 Tacoma Convention
Phil Dally

Post by Phil Dally »

I just got four new drums and brake shoe sets from RockAuto but didn't want coated drums or the brake hardware so not the same kit parts you mention exactly.
Dave: Out or curiosity why not coated.

I know you live in that PHX hot weather.

I'm on the coast so coating is needed Y/N?
CA Central Coast
Vairy V8 Rides Again.
LA Angels fan since 1978
World Series Champs 2002
Only Own 10 Corvairs Today
Been Associated With Fifty!!
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

I've seen drum/hub assemblies on trailers that far off but they were obviously machined off center. I managed to balance them after cutting the OD round on my lathe. Good thing they don't have to be equal weights like pistons and rods.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

vairmech wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:53 am You probably lost a spot welded on weight from the drum, nothing you can do but put one back on or replace it as you did.
No signs of a big weight missing on that drum but maybe it was attached poorly so didn't stay long. The guy I bought it from in LA owned it for 2 years but never drove it except in the neighborhood under 30 so he probably never knew it. Two other drums did have weights attached.

Surface rust on the outside of brake drums doesn't bother me on a driver quality vehicle so I save the money for something else. Coating is a cosmetic choice to me. I spun the suspect drum on my lathe and it sure looks centered and true to the casting blank but I didn't have to spin it much before the lathe was shaking.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

That is odd for that much out of balance.
The rear drums on my G30 van were way out and I discovered that the factory had cut weight off the wrong side. The guy "balancing" them made them much worse. Yes, they were cut and didn't have weight added.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Corventure Dave

Post by Corventure Dave »

I know coating has been noted as retaining heat. For our FC Bricks, that may not be an issue.
The last set of drums I bought were from NAPA. They came from Canada. But that was 20+ years ago.

Corventure Dave

Return to “Corvair Talk”