Fuel pump leak

All Models and Years
rogerroger88

Fuel pump leak

Post by rogerroger88 »

Hello everyone,

My mechanical fuel pump has started to leak a good bit, since it has gotten cold. I would prefer to replace with another mechanical fuel pump because I have done that before with this Corvair. I see that Clarks won't have theirs available until Summer 2024 if we're lucky. Are there any others out there for a 66 Corsa?
If not, how much time is involved with replacing with an electric fuel pump? I have read conflicting advice about where to mount them. Some say it has to be close to the gas tank, whereas others have had zero issues with installing in the engine bay. Is a universal fuel pump sufficient? Or is the one sold by Clarks the preferred choice?

Thanks!
1966 Corvair Corsa
inherited from my father
manvair

Re: Fuel pump leak

Post by manvair »

Before you give up on your existing pump, I suggest you open it and inspect. You might find that a bit of filing on the mating surfaces and a touch of gasket shellac around the edge will fix the issue.
1965 Monza vert
Central VA
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

rogerroger88 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:22 pm Hello everyone,

My mechanical fuel pump has started to leak a good bit, since it has gotten cold. I would prefer to replace with another mechanical fuel pump because I have done that before with this Corvair. I see that Clarks won't have theirs available until Summer 2024 if we're lucky. Are there any others out there for a 66 Corsa?
If not, how much time is involved with replacing with an electric fuel pump? I have read conflicting advice about where to mount them. Some say it has to be close to the gas tank, whereas others have had zero issues with installing in the engine bay. Is a universal fuel pump sufficient? Or is the one sold by Clarks the preferred choice?

Thanks!
Due to all the manufacturing issues over the decades I gave up on the mechanical fuel pump.

The simple "pulse" pumps are more than adequate and simple to install. They like to be near the gas tank for longest life. Unfortunately the electric Air Tex pump that got great reviews is not made anymore, or at least the company making it was bought up by some China conglomerate and the pump they sell under the old number is different and has received complaints!!!! Not sure what I would use now. Avoid the fancy hi-volume turbine pumps as many need a constant fuel flow (return line) to stay cool.

Since the mechanical pump is no longer made, Clark's is trying to get some (off shore?) company to make it. I'm extremely leery because in the last few years the quality of "off shore" parts I've gotten from Clark's have had issues.

A number of companies have complained commented about great pre-production examples from small manufacturers, then when the BIG order arrives the parts are not up to spec. and the seller is stuck trying to get things corrected, or worse they just stock the parts without inspections, then ship them and let the customer be quality control!!!!
m37aswell

Post by m37aswell »

I like my electric fuel pumps in my 2 1965 110 engine Corvairs a lot. Less wear on the starter as they fill the bowls right now, so you get a pump shot sooner. Especially if the car has been sitting for a time. They are both Clark Corvair pumps, it looks like I installed one 3\21 and the other on 2\23 so they haven't been around all that long but no trouble at all so far. I just drove the one here in Neb. today with the ambient air temperature at 6 degrees below zero [!] so it looks like it can function in the extreme cold.
caraholic4life

Post by caraholic4life »

For what it is worth, I posted an e-bay seller that has one or maybe more available BUT it seems they raise their price by $10.00 each time they re-list the pump. I bought two of them back in December for $89.99 each with "Free Shipping" but now they are asking $109.00 but still offer "Free Shipping" http://www.ebay.com/itm/225950583648?ha ... SwgaFljJ4-

My recent post has the listing details as well as photo's.
http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 18&t=19055
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
rogerroger88

Post by rogerroger88 »

Thanks everyone for the responses. I believe I will buy one of those off eBay to use. I'll also dig into my current one once it's off to see if there's any chance for repair. And in the future, I'll probably have to bite the bullet and install an electric one.

Thanks again!
1966 Corvair Corsa
inherited from my father
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I checked my old notes and the FACET electric fuel pump has been around for a long time and still is available.

The FACET pump number is 40101N, but is usually sold with fittings as KIT# 40105. The pressure rating is 3.0 to 4.5 that is correct for the Corvair. One issue I run into is folks buy an electric fuel pump with the wrong fuel pressure. ALWAYS go by the highest PSI number. The Corvair is 4 - 5 PSI.

damvemotohead posts here and has used the FACET pump for many years and says they work well.

As my37 said, it sure is nice to prime the carburetors with an electric fuel pump after sitting awhile and the car starts right up. No beating up the starter trying to fill the carburetors via the mechanical fuel pump.
erco

Post by erco »

Oh no, not the dreaded mechanical vs electic fuel pump debate again! It's safer to talk about politics or religion. See also:

Best motor oil?

Points or Pertronix?

Ballast or no ballast?

EM or LM?

<lights fuse, gets away>
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Those are easy.
Mobil1 0w40
Pertronix 1
Ballast
EM
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:doh:

:link: viewtopic.php?p=131871&hilit=Royal+Purple#p131871

Pertronix Ignitor I (Ballast resistor wiring depends n the power needed by the Pertronix unit and the selected ignition coil. BE SURE YOU READ AND UNDERSTAND THE PERTRONIX INSTRUCTIONS. Ask questions here on the Corvair Forum if you are uncertain.

:link: viewtopic.php?p=132228&hilit=I+love+my+ ... ms#p132228

or FAST XR700 (optical trigger). This unit is designed to operate in conjunction with the inclusion of the ballast resistor wire and the associated reduced voltage fed to the ignition coil positive terminal

Ted in Atlanta has a lot of professional Corvair experience. I remember his recommendation...
terribleted wrote:...I love my Crane [FAST] ignitions. I have only ever seen one that had failed. Something I can not say about the Pertronix units where failure is somewhat common from what I have seen.

Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up. Full time restoration tech and mechanic. https://www.facebook.com/ted.fahrenthold

EM and LM are both great Corvairs. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. I love them both, but tend to lean toward the styling, brakes and suspension improvements in the LM.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Frank DuVal

Post by Frank DuVal »

Those are easy.
Mobil1 0w40
Pertronix 1
Ballast
EM

Almost...

Whatever is on my shelf
Points or Pertronix if the car came with it, I see no reason to buy one, not like I'm putting 100K on one now.
Ballast (stock coil too, I've got lots of spares on old engines)
EM

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

:turkey: :pig: :potato: 🥘 :christmas_tree::menorah: :snowflake: :snowman: :snowflake: :snowflake:
Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA

Hey look, blue background! :wink: :thumbsup: :car: :spider: :frog: :train:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”