My new beater.

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Rog

My new beater.

Post by Rog »

Hi All,

Now that I'm in Mid 50's I've been looking for a 60's project car. My budget is pretty low. Just purchased my first Corvair. I love it.
It's a 1964 Corvair Monza Coupe with PG trans that runs and drives. I introduce my Corvair to friends and family as the Corvair Bondo Edition (it aint pretty). I've had a 69 Nova, 69 Camaro, 68 Chevelle and a 70 Trans Am in my 20's (they are all gone now) and had just enough money to keep them running never got paint and body work done. They were all pretty ugly but mechanically I was able to get them very reliable. I got my ASE master certification in my mid 20's. I was very fortunate that many of the shops I worked for sent me to training and I always did my best to learn as much as I could. I even went to the GM training center several times. I was an early adopter of the internet. Anyone here remember what a BBS was? I eventually transitioned to IT work but that's another story for another time.

Okay back to the Corvair. I find the best way to learn about a car is to just drive it. Luckily the Corvair I have looks like it's been driven a bunch. I like seeing and smelling plenty of oil on the engine and undercarriage. The previous owner looks like they did their best to keep it running. It has a Corsa club sticker in the glove box. I wonder if the previous owner posted pictures on this forum or others.

I'm a couple of weeks in and the Corvair forums have so much Info I've used already. I haven't posted 'til now.

My short list I'm working on now.
  • Getting all the Dash lights including dummy lights working - Done
    Exterior Lights - Done
    Wiper switch - Done
    Headlight adjusters all jacked up - just got my 9 buck repair kit from ebay today
    Horn
    turn signal cancel
    Oil leaks - Valve cover gaskets and tractor supply allthread diy stud kit installed
    Valve clatter - Adjusted today
    Getting rid of the dual glasspacks (Can't stand me a loud car) Always put full exhaust systems on my previous cars
Thanks to everyone who posts here and makes videos it has really helped me to get up to speed. Hopefully I can post and help others.
joelsplace

Re: My new beater.

Post by joelsplace »

Welcome!
The '64 is the best of the earlies.
Check the oil in your differential. That is often neglected.
I would change it with Mobil1 85w90 hypoid gear lube. You can't run that in the manual transaxle but you can in your automatic.
Be sure there is no ATF in the differential. If there is it has to come out quick and have the seals replaced. ATF will kill the ring and pinion quickly.
The '64 and '65 had a dipstick for the differential so hopefully yours still does.
If the steering is sloppy it probably needs the rubber pitman arm bushing. Replace it with a nylon one.
If you don't already know you need to run a lot less pressure in the front tires. GM called for 10 PSI less in front. I run 7 or 8 less on a '64.
If you are still running 13" wheels the only proper tire available is the Maxxis MA1 185/80r13. Beware of trailer tires.
Lots more to learn but all the info is available here.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Good advice for Joel. I will disagree about the pitman arm bushing. I find little of any improvement using the nylon vs. the original rubber. Also I've had a couple cars were the nylon insert wore out fast. Seth Emerson who raced Corvairs said he found the rubber unit was fine and better for street driving to minimize suspension shock loading of the pitman arm

Most suspension "slop" is usually in other parts. The original idler arm had no grease fitting, replacements do have a grease fitting.

Yes the 64 is the best of the EM cars due to the revised rear suspension.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

That hasn't been my experience at all. At least 9 out of 10 of my Corvairs only needed the pitman bushing. 2nd most common issue is the steering box needing a rebuild.
Most vehicles have steel bushings in the pitman arm and my later Chevy vans have no rubber at all in the front suspension or steering so I think nylon will be fine. Maybe you got a bad bushing. I have yet to wear any out and I have one that I installed back in '91 and it was my daily driver for many years.
I think they feel much better but that is subjective.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
carking1996

Post by carking1996 »

Let's see some pictures of the car!
Rog

Post by Rog »

Here is a few pics, this is how I got it.
20231028_111944.jpg
20231024_162600.jpg
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

Looks like a good start. Those Keystone Classic mags? Dennis

Return to “Introductions”