Installing door glass in an early convertible

Need to know how? Want to show how?
PaulR

Installing door glass in an early convertible

Post by PaulR »

Since the 1964 shop manual is of little help to me, what is the best way to get the door glass back in? I needed to reattach the drivers door glass that fell out of the lower sash channel when the lining dried out. Apparently they come out a lot easier than they go back in. All references are to the 1962-63 Corvair and Corvair 95 shop manual pages 10-21 and 10-22. Do you put the door glass and sash channel in first, or the door ventilator assembly (#'s 12,15,18)? Do you leave the glass run channel (#6) for last? The manual steps have you take out the door glass first, which was easy with the glass out of the channel. And then I removed the vent window assembly and the ventilator casting since I needed to do some pant work near it. I left the window regulator (#10) inside the door. The manual reads the install is reverse the removal procedure. I'm thinking that to do this the window ventilator (wing window) has got to go in first. Of course leaving all the fasteners not fully tightened down to allow for some later adjustment. I did this same job 35 years ago when I restored the car but it somehow now it escapes me. :banghead:
1964 Monza convertible 110/PG
PaulR

Re: Installing door glass in an early convertible

Post by PaulR »

Hey guys, no problem and thanks for the help. I figured it out myself. I loosely assembled the ventilator, or vent window, and put it in place before attempting to install the side glass. Next I rolled up the regulator mechanism up almost all of the way. Then I put the front roller in the front guide channel. Then tilting the side glass all the way up towards the front end I was able to just catch the rear roller in the other channel. There was no more room to spare. I have the car off the ground on jack stands at 12 inches high. This would have been even tougher to do with the car on the ground. Oh well, another week and no more Corvair. :clap:
PaulR

Re: Installing door glass in an early convertible

Post by PaulR »

Hey guys, no problem and thanks for the help. I figured it out myself. First, I loosely assembled the ventilator, or vent window, and put it in place before attempting to install the side glass. Next I rolled up the regulator mechanism up almost all of the way. Then I put the front roller in the front guide channel. Then tilting the side glass all the way up towards the front end I was able to just catch the rear roller in the other channel. There was no more room to spare. I have the car off the ground on jack stands at 12 inches high. This would have been even tougher to do with the car on the ground. Oh well, another week and no more Corvair. :clap:

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”