Headliner Install

Need to know how? Want to show how?
k24556

Headliner Install

Post by k24556 »

I'm probably a year away from installing. Right now heavy into taking apart. I was removing the headliner, and at the windshield and back window, I had to tear the old headliner to get to bare metal. So I did some research and all the videos, and FSM instructions say "glue and tuck. Well, with the windshield in, it is almost impossible to see where "glue and tuck" is. So I left that for future info. I then went to my last removal step, front and back glass. Both came out no problem. NOW I can clearly see the glue and tuck area. The steel strip that is the centerpiece of the glue and tuck effort, and is easy to see with the glass out.

In the photo below, 1 points to the steel strip (note remnants of the headliner cloth where the glue held it to the strip), 2 points to a remnant of my old headliner, 3 points to the car frame flange where the windshield adhesive strip rests, and the un numbered arrow points to one of the trim clip studs. From the flange to the steel strip is a gap of about 1/4 inch at the mouth. The steel strip can be lightly pried to open the gap a little, and should make tucking easy.

I think my plan will be to make windshield and back glass install late in the restoration, and after headliner install.
Attachments
Headliner Tuck-in.jpg
terribleted

Re: Headliner Install

Post by terribleted »

That is a good plan. Headliner is certainly easiest to install with the glass removed. You can pull and stretch through the openings instead of with your head twisted sideways above the dash and the windshield obstructing angles you might like to use. Now I would not necessarily remove glass just to do a headliner, but, if it was out and I could schedule to do it before the glass went back in then I would be all over it!!
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
k24556

Post by k24556 »

Thanks for the reply! I also think that area needs to be really clean, maybe masking off the removable strip so paint does not cause a problem. I also watched a YT vid and the guy said to install right after applying contact cement. I see the orig install had it, so I suspect it does serve a purpose
Aircooledruss

Post by Aircooledruss »

So I bought the car with the headliner stripped out. Boxes of trim included with purchase. I’m trying to figure out which pieces I have that are for my car. I can’t figure out what the headliner trim should be. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

What year? Two door or four door?

Without an old headliner and trim to go by it will be difficult. I label the bows as they ARE different. I also take lots of pictures. You'll need a box of the big paper clamps to hold the headliner to the glue edge to align it, BEFORE you start gluing it in place.

The average person can do it, but is isn't easy to make it come out looking good.

The other issue is the factory stitched the bows into the headliner. Clark's Corvair stitches loops to slide the bows into so the headliner hangs about 3/8" lower than original. If you are tall it can be an issue. If needed you install the bows then use a special upholstery sewing machine to stitch the loops tight on the bows.
Dennis66

Post by Dennis66 »

My "last" Corvair, a 1966 had a few of the headliner seams that the stitches had come loose. I took the headliner out and tried hand stitching them. Ended up buying another car with real nice interior for parts. Don't remember what I did with the rest of the car. Dennis

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”