engine type

Got a Body Tag that needs decoding? Post it here.
gotahavit

engine type

Post by gotahavit »

Having bought a 1962 corvair95 ramp without much examining I figured out after the fact that the motor is not correct. Can some one give me a quick analysis of this number on the block. (TTII0IRG) the first T is very faint. The oil fill and dipstick is on top of motor. Would like to know year and horsepower. Any thing else that I need to know about it. I am very unknowledgeable about motors so thanks for any help. Need info so I order the right parts. Norm glmoure
terribleted

Re: engine type

Post by terribleted »

A block code of RG means the engine block came from a 65-68 95 HP engine that was originally attached to an automatic trans. 164CI 95 HP engine (if that is what it is ) is a good choice in a Corvair truck. To be sure what it is you really need to look at the cylinder head numbers. They are located on the rear face of the left cylinder head and the front face of the right cylinder head (cast into the head parallel to the edges of the valve cover). It is best to check both numbers as heads got swapped around over the years and may or may not match. Head number will tell you the HP and year range of that head design. Hopefully they both match at least horsepower and year range, and are post 65 heads (this would mean 164CI engine at whatever HP rating the heads are). report back your findings and I/we can help you narrow it down. There is a list of block and head numbers in Clark's Corvair Parts catalog on page 388.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
gotahavit

Post by gotahavit »

thanks for reply. Now for another question. When ordering parts for motor what year and horsepower will I use? Head numbers or block? I've already got some distributor parts trying to put back to points from someone's electronic ignitions changeover. Are coils proprietary to distributor or motor? I would be able to help myself more if the motor was all original and not been repaired and modified. Right now I'm just trying to make it a reliable driver, not a restoration.
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

That is a more complicated question than it seems on the surface. It would probably be best for you to tell us what you have and go from there.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

joelsplace wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:14 pm That is a more complicated question than it seems on the surface. It would probably be best for you to tell us what you have and go from there.
This. What is the ignition you are removing? All stock coils are the same value. Some electronic conversions change to a different coil. There is a resistor wire in the stock harness. Some electronic conversions bypass this wire so the car feeds a full 12 volts to the ignition rather than the stock 6.5 volts or so (you need the stock voltage with points or their service life will be diminished greatly). Distributor (they are numbered) should match the engine. Block and lower end itself is not that relevant (unless someone has built a real bastard, but, do not worry about going there yet. What the heads are (identified by the head numbers is most relevant as to determine what the engine is and what distributor will work best in the engine.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The initial [Ghost] "T" is likely a mis-strike when the serial number was stamped on the Corvair engine cases at the engine factory. I suspect that the GM technician had his tool too far to the left and perhaps tapped it lightly before re-positioning it to the right to stamp the entire serial number. The "T" always stood for "Tonawanda" which is a town in Erie County, New York. The Tonawanda Engine facility actually sits across from the Niagara River in Buffalo, NY, where the GM engine plant is located.

T1101RG
T = Tonawanda, New York (GM Tonawanda Engine Plant)
http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/comp ... wanda.html
1101 = Engine manufacturing date (month and date). November 1st. (No year is included in the date stamp, unfortunately).
RG = 1965-1967 95 hp — 164 CID (Cubic Inch Displacement), 8.25:1 Compression Ratio, with Powerglide Automatic Transmission — Corvair 500 and Monza only.

The 95 hp engine was the only 164 CI engine produced between 1964 and 1969 that was assembled with a cast solid crankshaft pulley. All other 164 CI engines (110 hp, 140 hp, and 180 hp Turbocharged) were fitted with a harmonic balancer to protect the crankshaft from harmonic stresses that could form cracks in the crankshaft. All earlier engines — 140 CI (1960) and 145 CI (1961-1963) were fitted with a stamped steel riveted pulley.

I understand from your other post viewtopic.php?t=15842 that your switch back from the Pertronix Ignitor II system is to confirm that the Pertronix Ignitor II appears to be causing your slow idle/misfire/engine stalling problem. Switching back to ignition points and condenser would help to confirm that the Pertronix Ignitor II is the cause of the automatic transmission-based engine stalling when shifting into gear. However, you will likely need to order an ignition points lead wire to connect the points to the ignition coil negative terminal. http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=75, Item C530. The original wire was probably removed when the Ignitor II module was installed.

Also, if the installer used a high performance, low primary resistance ignition coil, such as the Pertronix Flame-Thrower II (low 0.6 ohm Primary Resistance), that coil cannot be used with ignition points, or with many other aftermarket breakerless ignition systems. The Pertronix Ignitor II module contains a high-current transistor circuit that can survive the high current drawn by the 0.6 ohm coil primary winding in the Flame-Thrower II coil. That high current will quickly destroy other electronic breakerless ignition systems, or ignition points, that were never designed to support the high performance ignition coil. As I stated in my other post, if the coil is a Flame-Thrower II it will have to go with the Ignitor II ignition module. Alternative coils are listed on the same page with the points lead wire referred to above. The desired coil will have a 1.5 ohm primary resistance. Also, it will be necessary to confirm that the Corvair factory resistor wire is still present in the wiring harness circuit. It would be needed if you choose to keep ignition points or switch to the recommended Crane Cams/FAST XR-700 Optical trigger breaker-less ignition system.
http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=74

You can see by this example that it is important when upgrading an engine to utilize a modern technology system upgrade, the components must be carefully chosen. Moving to extreme, higher than needed racing items, such as the hottest ignition system or the hottest camshaft, can have very negative consequences.

Your Corvair would benefit from the installation of a breakerless system like the Crane Cams/FAST system. It will reduce tune-up requirements by eliminating the points, and will provide you with a reliable low-maintenance electronic ignition system.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ow_page=75

:chevy:
Attachments
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers.PDF
CORSA Corvair Technical Guide 1+2 - Corvair Code Numbers
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 15 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I would add that to replace a Pertronics unit you would also usually need a stock point plate to mount the points on as the point plate used with the Pertronics is often (if not always) a Pertronics only part.

gotahavit

Post by gotahavit »

All you guys are incredible. I'm learning a lot very quickly. info over load. My next move is to verify heads and maybe find a number on distributor. I do want a point and condenser distributor not electronic. Thanks again for info and patience to help a carpenter become mechanical. I'll post any new info I find so everyone can help me.
gotahavit

Post by gotahavit »

heres my latest news. Head serial numbers 3878569 hope this close to my block sn tIIOIRG. someone mentioned a distributor number, where is it ?
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

It's on the side of the large round diameter just down from the cap.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

gotahavit wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:34 pm heres my latest news. Head serial numbers 3878569 hope this close to my block sn tIIOIRG. someone mentioned a distributor number, where is it ?
3878569 is a 65-68 95HP head so you are golden. Matches with the block code. so it appears the engine is indeed a 65--68 95HP 164CI engine.

gotahavit

Post by gotahavit »

thanks again, I'll have to clean off distributor to find numbers. got a plate coming from cal corvairs. Is there a way to post a picture on this reply.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You can always post pictures on a post. Use the "full editor and preview" selection at the bottom of the chat box. It opens options including attachments.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Back of the housing towards the front of the car. Tough to see sometimes without removing the distributor. If you pull the distributor for a brief look at the distributor number on the housing, do not disturb the engine crankshaft position when the distributor is out. Be sure to reinsert it with the same rotor orientation so that the drive gear engages with the crankshaft gear with the rotor pointing the same as when you removed the distributor. The oil pump drive tang at the bottom should slip back into the oil pump drive gear and the distributor should fully seat against the engine housing. When you start the engine, recheck the timing with a timing light. Timing for your engine should be set to 14° BTDC at 475 RPM with the vacuum advance temporarily disconnected and plugged..

Correct distributor number for your 1965-1967 95 hp engine with Powerglide Automatic Transmission: 1110311
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

In the photo in Brad's post the number you want is under that checkering which does not exist on any distributor I have seen. Note that all the numbers start with 1110. The last 3 digits designate what application the distributor is for. This number is usually facing rearward so can usually be seen without removing things or standing on your head.

gotahavit

Post by gotahavit »

thanks again guys , wont have time to look till around xmas time. I'm heading up around Hayward for some ice fishing and snow removal off my garage. I did get a plate for my distributor today old original so I may put it on.

Return to “Body/VIN Tag Decoding”