Spark plug oddity

All Models and Years
Mantis

Spark plug oddity

Post by Mantis »

I started working on my EM today, with the first goal to get it running decently to see where I should go with the engine.

I bought the basic tune up parts since it looks like some of the parts could possibly be original. If nothing else, really old.

When I pulled the plugs I found an odd adapter on #5. It is brass, and simply does not want to come off. As I look at it, I am not sure I even want it as it sits the plug really high away from the chamber.

Are there any good options to replace the adapter like a helicoil that would work better?

At present, it is running with the old plugs until I can figure this out.

terribleted

Re: Spark plug oddity

Post by terribleted »

Best normal repair insert is called a timesert. That one may be enlarged enough that a larger version called a bigsert may be needed. Measure the existing hole diameter to decide which one to use. Clark's rents the tool needed and sells the inserts (normal size anyway). They also sell the tool...I am not sure whether they offer the bigsert tool and inserts.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Well, I like the look of the serts, but that looks like a head pull.

No way I do that in place.
toytron

Post by toytron »

They look like oil foul plug adaptors. They were to prevent the plus from getting fouled by engine oil in a car that might be burning oil.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
toytron

Post by toytron »

Looking again at the pictures (which did not show up when I clicked on the topic) it isn't an oil fouler adapter because there would be a hex to allow removal.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Did you try a new plug in #5 or are you saying the adaptor is in the head still & you cannot get it out?? Attach a photo, at the bottom of your new post page is says attachments click that then select "add files" then select the file from your computer then click Submit
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

I attached two pictures

The sleeve came out with the plug and I can't remove it from the plug.
IMG_20180901_130001.jpg
IMG_20180901_130011.jpg
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Put some heat to the brass & expand it then try turning it. Try to file a couple flat spots opposite each other on that top ring of the adaptor so you can get a thin vice grip on it. You mastered the photo's so now you can get that thing off. :tu:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
dave t

Post by dave t »

I had a striped plug hole one time. I was told to put a thick glob of axle grease on the tap to catch the shavings. i turned 1 revolution then removed it. cleaned & regreased it and repeted until i threaded the hole all the way. installed a timecert and away i went. no head removal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

If you are looking them up it's called a Time-Sert. You can get the kit on eBay but it looks like that is what came out with the plug. Was the plug really hard to get out? If the insert was properly installed the plug may have been cross threaded into it but it should have been very difficult to remove because the insert should have been locked in place. They make a Big-Sert to repair a previously messed up insert job. The kits are expensive. $200+
If the threads look good I the had you may be able to install a new normal sized insert. The size is 14mm x 1.25 x 11 I believe.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

Sorry Ted I missed your post somehow.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

joelsplace wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:33 am If the insert was properly installed the plug may have been cross threaded into it but it should have been very difficult to remove because the insert should have been locked in place. They make a Big-Sert to repair a previously messed up insert job. The kits are expensive. $200+
If the threads look good I the had you may be able to install a new normal sized insert. The size is 14mm x 1.25 x 11 I believe.
I am guessing that the Sert (Time/Big) was not installed correctly. It was a little harder to get out, but not too hard. If you look, it appears that it was not even threaded in all the way. That and if I see the Sert documentation correctly, I probably want a shorter Sert so the plug is not shrouded.

Looks like I add something else to the project list...
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Mantis wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:23 am
I am guessing that the Sert (Time/Big) was not installed correctly. It was a little harder to get out, but not too hard. If you look, it appears that it was not even threaded in all the way. That and if I see the Sert documentation correctly, I probably want a shorter Sert so the plug is not shrouded.

Agreed - It may be an insert similar to a Time-Sert, but it was not installed deep enough so the plug flange locked on the insert instead of contacting the head. I've seen this improper installation a few times. Care must be taken so the top of the insert is below the head area the spark plug contacts.
martyscarr

Post by martyscarr »

I don't think a Big Sert is going to work, the sleeve looks like it has a larger diameter than the maximum size hole for a Big Sert. From the manufacturer: The stripped hole should not be larger than 16.8mm or .660 inches.

I agree with toytron that it looks to be an anti-fouler, but I also have never seen one without a hex head for removal.

If you ever need to do a Big Sert repair, the tool can be rented from aircooled.net:
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Big-Sert- ... -5141s.htm
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Mantis wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:23 am
joelsplace wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:33 am If the insert was properly installed the plug may have been cross threaded into it but it should have been very difficult to remove because the insert should have been locked in place. They make a Big-Sert to repair a previously messed up insert job. The kits are expensive. $200+

The insert from your engine is neither a timesert nor a bigsert it is some other brand and not of particularly good design. The timeserts use a special tool that cuts the threads for the insert and cuts the head material so it all fits together nicely. They do not have that big ridge where the sparkplug seals and they essentially lock into the head when installed correctly so they do not come out with the plug like that one did. They also sit flush into the head.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Mantis

Post by Mantis »

Got it.

Well, worst case I have to get a different head...

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”