LEDS in Fake Vents

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
stellair

LEDS in Fake Vents

Post by stellair »

Here's the LEDS mounted in the fake rear vents.
I got motorcycle LED tail lights off FleaBay.
I decided to cut a U shape piece out of the bottom edge of the fake vents rather than drilling directly through as I thought there would be less change of water seeping through, and easier to change after I attached wire plugs on the end of the wires, should I need to change the light fixture.
I still need to put a bit of sylicone around the LED cable and the U cut into the bottom edge of the fake vents.
I only used the wires on the LED designated for the parking lights (low red) and brake light (bright red), although it was also wired for turn signals (yellow).

The second photo shows the lights with the left turn signal on.

(Could someone please teach me how I rotate photos on this forum? Once I've uploaded photos the are correctly oriented, they arbitrarily appear sideways or upside down. I've tried to delete, rotate and reload without success.)

20210526_210125.jpg
20210526_210145(0).jpg
corvair 3rd brake signal.JPG
corvair 3rd brake signal.JPG (46.88 KiB) Viewed 677 times
20210308_130750.jpg
ebay brake light.JPG
64 Corvair Monza coupe
66vairguy

Re: LEDS in Fake Vents

Post by 66vairguy »

Well done.

I've heard of this being done before, but your example looks great.

Practical in this time of "distracted drivers".
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

That rules!!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I'm not sure what type of camera you are using, but the needed rotation may require the use of photo editing software. I made the changes below using Microsoft PowerPoint...

EM Corvair LEDS in Fake Vents.jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
stellair

Post by stellair »

Thanks, Everyone!

(I tried using 1157 LED bulbs in the tail lights so the original lights will sync up with the deck lights exactly.
Funny stuff was happening, like the lights were staying on after brake was released causing my cruise control to stop working, and other wonky things, so I regressed to standard 1157's. For those contemplating buying LED 1157's or 1156's, watch the style of LED you buy as I have found several have a wide rim between the base and the bulb part that prevents the bulb from going in the socket deep enough to twist lock into position.)
64 Corvair Monza coupe
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

Thanks for the tip! Many different manufacturer's bulbs can be seen on this Amazon.com search link, and I have included an image to help others to visualize the problem...

:link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1157+led+bul ... -doa-p_1_8

1157 Comparisons.jpg
Brad Bodie
stellair

Post by stellair »

Great idea, Brad.

Two brands of 1157 equivalent that DID NOT fit for that reason are EVERBRIGHT and TUINCYN.

The LUYED brand fits, but was giving me the electrical issues. There ad said "You might need to add 50W 6-Ohm load resistors or change flash rely to prevent the LED bulbs from hyper flashing, Please double check owners manual or original bulb size to confirm before placing an order." My issue was not one of hyper flashing. (I'm not looking for a solution to this, as I'm happy with the old school bulbs.)
64 Corvair Monza coupe
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

stellair wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:19 am Great idea, Brad.

Two brands of 1157 equivalent that DID NOT fit for that reason are EVERBRIGHT and TUINCYN.

The LUYED brand fits, but was giving me the electrical issues. There ad said "You might need to add 50W 6-Ohm load resistors or change flash rely to prevent the LED bulbs from hyper flashing, Please double check owners manual or original bulb size to confirm before placing an order." My issue was not one of hyper flashing. (I'm not looking for a solution to this, as I'm happy with the old school bulbs.)
As you now know - there is a lot of junk LED bulbs on the market. I've had good luck with the Superbrite company on LM cars. EM sockets may not be the same.

Yes you can add a resistive load, but that defeats the purpose of using less electrical energy with a LED bulb. The old "thermal" flasher module perceives the LED load as a burned out bulb and "hyper flashes". Easily fixed by installing a modern flasher module, but they need a third wire added for ground to work.

I've had good luck with the Novita EP34 flasher unit. Beware some character was selling counterfeit versions online. Order it at a parts store. NOTE the Novita EP34 requires at least ONE incandescent bulb in the circuit (the dashboard indicator bulb is adequate).

Beware of "no load" flashers, they get bad reviews for unstable function - blinking stops then starts, speed changes, etc.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

66vairguy wrote:...As you now know - there is a lot of junk LED bulbs on the market. I've had good luck with the Superbrite company on LM cars. EM sockets may not be the same...

:link: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... bulb/2625/

The illustration provided by GLL also appears to have physical dimensions and pin alignment that is very close to the standard 1157 bulb...

GLL 1157 BAY15D 5730 20 SMD Amber/White Switchback Turn Signal LED Light Bulbs 3.8W 12V LED Super Bright 600 Lumens 6000-6500K Brake Light Lamp (Pack of 2)

:link: https://www.amazon.com/Grandview-BAY15D ... =cb-osp-20

Brad Bodie

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”