66 Corvair Monza convertible top weatherstrip seal kit instructions

Need to know how? Want to show how?
rskins625

66 Corvair Monza convertible top weatherstrip seal kit instructions

Post by rskins625 »

Hello. I just purchased a 66 Corvair Monza convertible and the weather seal stripping along the top is rotted and I am buying a replacement kit. Doea anyone have instructions to remove and replace the seals? Thank you in advance.
Attachments
kit
kit
s-l500.jpg (16.9 KiB) Viewed 207 times
terribleted

Re: 66 Corvair Monza convertible top weatherstrip seal kit instructions

Post by terribleted »

These are pretty simple. They bolt on with nuts mostly and perhaps use a couple screws. The long ones in the center of you photo should be on the forward side section of the top frame the short curved ones on the middle side section and the long ones on the outside of the photo with the rubber tails go on the rear sides. The little rubber tail is attached to the body with some plastic push clips. In all cases the taller rubber side of each piece goes inward so the windows can close against this taller part and end up sitting under the shorter (outer) side. These have a little adjustment to help line up with the glass and each other. The glass both door and 1/4 panel is adjustable to get the fit just right (not an easy task). Clark's sells a full set of nuts and washers for install if yours are bad or missing as well as the 2 plastic clips at the rear. They are listed right under the Top Frame Window Weatherstrips on page218 of Clark's catalog. using some non hardening caulking material where the weatherstrip goes up onto the top frame is needed. the factory used some. 3M strip caulk or 3M auto bedding and glazing compound are good choices.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
rskins625

Post by rskins625 »

Thank you for your assistance. Just bought this 66 Monza convertible for summer drives. I am finding minor fixes that are easy like burnt bulbs or rubber trunk cushions to replace but this is probably the most work I will do myself since I am not mechanically inclined.
Attachments
IMG-1035.jpg
ranger372

Post by ranger372 »

When RSKINS625 said the window adjustment were not an easy task, he was not kidding! Especially with a new top and if the frame has been messed with.

Steve D.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

ranger372 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:38 pm When RSKINS625 said the window adjustment were not an easy task, he was not kidding! Especially with a new top and if the frame has been messed with.

Steve D.
Or if someone has screwed with the adjustments before, or if the repro top weatherstrips are not exactly correct (they are not but usually will line up ok if the alignment to the glass was good before install). You are absolutely correct. Window adjustment starts with the vent window frame to the tops and windshield post and then moves to the door glass and finally the 1/4 glass is adjusted. Up and down, forward and backward as well as tip in and out are adjustable. The adjustments are cumbersome and often require a lot of trial and error to get just right:) I am a pro and sometimes adjusting one side takes 4 hours instead of the normal 2 or so.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”