I'm back, in black! 1967 Monza 110hp coupe

Show of your ride, keep track of your project, watch as others progress on their projects
Akinon93

I'm back, in black! 1967 Monza 110hp coupe

Post by Akinon93 »

Hey all, been a long time since I was on these boards. My corvair has come a long way since a few years ago, 2016 was a great year for it as I got it running, roadworthy, and then fixed the nuances that came about from it's first time driving properly in well over 20-25 years! In October of 2016 I used it daily for work, until the cold weather started to come around.

2017, not much done, but started stripping paint.

Which brings me to here. Only had half the paint stripped so I've been working on it lately, and it's almost done. After which I plan on putting a primer on it and maybe a flat black paint. Buff it a bit after so it shines a little, so on and so forth. Currently I have the following parts planned to put on
  • heavy duty blower motor
    Rear engine harness
    All rubbers for engine compartment
    New pulley for clutch cable
That's what I have got so far, which has been in storage since last Xmas time.

Soon I will be getting some more parts new
  • 4 shocks and coil springs
    Any engine and transmission mounts (only know of the 1 so far just haven't looked deep into it)
There's also many other parts I may or may not get, like the headlight relay from Clark's that turns them off when car us turned off, or engine hood scoops. But those are future endeavors. However, all parts I listed above I either bought from Clark's new or will be buying from Clark's new.

My goal use to be to shine it up as if it was a new car! I dreamt of tearing it down completely and rebuilding with entirely new parts and some upgrades where possible (5-speed transmission maybe, build a custom engine, rewire everything to run through a computer excluding operational things like the engine, maybe a suspension upgrade?). But, it was extremely draining to even think about, as it would probably be at least a 25k-30k investment just for parts and upgrades. The goal wasn't a show car exactly, but an enjoyable driver I can use to commute when it's nice out and have a nice, smooth, stylish ride.

Well, perhaps one day, if I find a shell in immaculate condition to start off with. But for now, my goal is to get it reliable enough. The engine already has plenty of power and can run and run and run. It's strong. The suspension is a bit shaky, ever since I installed some NOS red Ryder shocks in the front I hear every tiny movement (I imagine due to how stuff they are). Plus the engine mount in the back is pretty worn, so I want to replace as much as I can so that the ride will at least ride "smooth" under most circumstances (currently it shakes even on freshly paved smooth roads). After that, keep driving when the weather's nice when I feel like it, maybe put more into it, and keep enjoying it for years to come!

Though it needs a lot of body work and because of that I don't see me ever getting anything close to my investment out of it, I think this compromised route is just fine. She's definitely got a lot of life left in her and she wants back on the open road and all :cool:

Some things done to it so far in the last few years:
  • electric fuel pump upgrade
    Electronic ignition
    New heater hoses
    Newly rebuilt carbs
    New tires (few years ago but still near perfect tread)
    Added a temporary tachometer (one day I'll find a good one for the dash)
    Redid engine and trunk wiring with multiple different old stock harnesses
    NOS Red Ryder shocks in front (don't like how stiff they are)
    New brakes (around time of tires, few years ago)
    Old stock turn signal switch

Pictures are below for any interested. These are pre-sa ding, will upload more later!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1522038034558.jpg
FB_IMG_1522038048270.jpg
FB_IMG_1522037994689.jpg
Last edited by Akinon93 on Sun May 06, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
perfectreign

Re: I'm back, in black! 1967 Monza 110hp coupe

Post by perfectreign »

Very nice!! Thank you for the pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A turn signal is a statement, not a request.
Kai Ponte - www.perfectreign.com

Image2006 Chevy Avalanche WBH LS

Image 2016 Chevy Malibu Hybrid
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Welcome back! Glad you're still at it!
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
Akinon93

Post by Akinon93 »

I almost wasn't! Wrecked my daily earlier in the year, and almost traded this thing for a daily to use, especially since at the time I had no desire to work on it (lots of private life stuff goin on then).

But now I'm workin and making ok money again better than before so I feel like sinking time into it after all! Though I won't be able to make the "modernized corvair" of my dreams with it, I'll have plenty of fun with it after putting in another maybe $1,000.
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Akinon93 wrote:Though I won't be able to make the "modernized corvair" of my dreams with it, I'll have plenty of fun with it after putting in another maybe $1,000.
Out of curiosity, what is a "modernized corvair" in your opinion?

Akinon93

Post by Akinon93 »

That's really just a way to put it. The idea was to put a custom built engine in it, fuel injected, but based off the original engine so it would fit the same. A 5speed transmission, or maybe a 6speed. Also a new suspension, either one off a more modern car that would fit/work with the corvair, or make one custom. Interior would be the same, but with some modifications such as more comfortable seats, airbags, proper seatbelts, etc etc. It would all fit in the corvair style though.

Basically I imagined a corvair that would be built in the last say 20 years, while remaining true to the original. I wouldn't be going overboard with things like backup cameras and internet in the car like many newer cars have
perfectreign

Post by perfectreign »

Ahh - a Porsche corvair

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/cla ... ransplant/

Akinon93

Post by Akinon93 »

So, status update. Lot has happened. First off, there was a huge bondo mess up front. All over the front half of the passenger fender and all over the front bumper area. I'll try to post a picture, it doesn't like the dimension size of the one I have. But, I don't know if this bondo is to make it even and "straight", or if it's actually covering something. I didn't sand on it much.

Truthfully, I ended up just deciding to paint the car without doing much bodywork. I did plenty of sanding but that was about it. After looking everything over and realizing how bad the car is, especially the front end (I knew it had been wrecked before, but looking now the front end looks like it was crunched and put back together). Plus, I don't have the tools or money to fix everything properly. So, I just painted it. I did a spray can job on it, using the rustoleum primer sealer, then satin black paint, then some clear coat. It seems to work fine. Sadly, I rushed a little with the clear, so it looks kinda iffy everywhere but the drivers side panels where I was moving slower. But, it's not really something you can see unless you look at it up close, so it'll be seen if I take it to a car show or whatever, but going down the road it actually looks pretty good. Also looks good in pictures!
IMG_20180621_103442_834.jpg
IMG_20180624_111827_540.jpg

Return to “Member's Rides, Projects, and Builds”