Wheel cylinders for your consideration. Are these useable?

All Models and Years
lostboy

Wheel cylinders for your consideration. Are these useable?

Post by lostboy »

You know, I keep trying to save money by taking the long road and rebuilding everything instead of buying new. Now I'm regretting it. My master had a little light pitting in the far end of the bore so I figured It would be ok. This wheel cylinder however, worries me. It's only on the gravity side in the center but still it's a pretty good crater. Would you use this? Btw car in question is a 61 sedan. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
Nickshu

Re: Wheel cylinders for your consideration. Are these useabl

Post by Nickshu »

I've never rebuilt one but one thing to be aware of is the repro cylinders from Clarks have an interference problem w/ the bleeder on the left front where it's too close to the spindle to fit a wrench on the bleeder. The angle it's drilled at is not correct. If you can get NOS or rebuild originals it's a much better choice.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
64powerglide

Re: Wheel cylinders for your consideration. Are these useable?

Post by 64powerglide »

Might be worth a try honing them, the worst part is in between the cups. Hone them good and see how they look then. :pray:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

If they are cratered out where the rubber cups ride, forget it. I might give it a go otherwise. You need to run a hone through them before you add the new kit stuff. I've even gone inside there with a piece of fine sandpaper to remove small areas of rust. It's a crapshoot though, whether they'll be leak-free.

Those really aren't lookin' like too hot of a starting point from here........
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

flat6_musik wrote:If they are cratered out where the rubber cups ride, forget it. I might give it a go otherwise. You need to run a hone through them before you add the new kit stuff. I've even gone inside there with a piece of fine sandpaper to remove small areas of rust. It's a crapshoot though, whether they'll be leak-free.

Those really aren't lookin' like too hot of a starting point from here........
Those are honed. I took the picture right after I honed them.

-Steve
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Yikes, those photo's are after honing huh. :eek: I would replace them then.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Yeah, I didn't go crazy but I threw a ball hone in there and did a few back and forths. I'll probably go in again and see how good I can get them.

-Steve
tiger13

Post by tiger13 »

I personally don't use a ball hone to do wheel cylinders. I like to use the ones with the flat stones on them, I find they have a tendency to leave a much nicer finished surface when your done. Be sure to keep the hone wet with brake fluid while you are honing. And considering that "most" of the deeper pitting is centered in the middle of the cylinder where the spring would be compressed, you MAY get very lucky here. The cost of a rebuild kit is cheap enough to give it a try, but I would go back over them with a flat stoned hone if it were me.
Rusty in NC
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

If corrosion has eaten away that much of the wheel cylinders, you might want to consider the possibility of internal damage to the steel brake lines as well. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and over time absorbs and holds water molecules, which can result in the corrosion and pitting you have witnessed in your wheel cylinders. Internal damage and decay may have also occurred in your brake lines, which can burst without warning. The risk is somewhat worse in the 1961 models which cannot be fitted with the dual master cylinder that was incorporated into the Corvair in 1967. A burst brake line anywhere leaves you only with the cable-operated rear brakes.

As shown below, Clark's recommends flushing the brake fluid and replacing it every 2-3 years. They also have a significant warning about aging flexible brake lines, as covered at the bottom of the page shown below...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=144
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

tiger13 wrote:I personally don't use a ball hone to do wheel cylinders. I like to use the ones with the flat stones on them, I find they have a tendency to leave a much nicer finished surface when your done. Be sure to keep the hone wet with brake fluid while you are honing. And considering that "most" of the deeper pitting is centered in the middle of the cylinder where the spring would be compressed, you MAY get very lucky here. The cost of a rebuild kit is cheap enough to give it a try, but I would go back over them with a flat stoned hone if it were me.
Yes, I like that style better but both snap-on and matco only had the ball type in the size I needed. I have a small flat hone but t was slightly too large for this... Like you said it was about 6$ each for the kits as opposed to whatever Clark is charging for a whole w/c.

-Steve
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

bbodie52 wrote:If corrosion has eaten away that much of the wheel cylinders, you might want to consider the possibility of internal damage to the steel brake lines as well. Brake fluid is hygroscopic and over time absorbs and holds water molecules, which can result in the corrosion and pitting you have witnessed in your wheel cylinders. Internal damage and decay may have also occurred in your brake lines, which can burst without warning. The risk is somewhat worse in the 1961 Models which cannot be fitted with the dual master cylinder that was incorporated into the Corvair in 1967. A burst brake line anywhere leaves you only with the cable-operated rear brakes.
Yes sir, I'm already re-plumbing the whole car. It's not worth the risk.

-Steve
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Well it cleaned up a bit better but I didn't take a pic... I left my phone inside. That pitting doesn't seem to reach out far enough to matter. I powdercoated the w/c body (which serves no purpose but I had the equipment out) and the backing plate. Here's a completed picture.

ImageImage

-Steve
1949chevy

Post by 1949chevy »

The photos are very macro...so in person, I am sure they look much better than the photos. I would hone them with a stone hone one more time and use them...the corrosion looks like the center is the culprit...the center does not matter.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”