Passenger compartment insulation

Anything Corvair related
my65

Passenger compartment insulation

Post by my65 »

I have read several threads on this topic and it looks like Dynamite Extreme or AudioMat are the materials of choice for this job? I will shortly be putting the interior back into my car and need to order something. My car is a convertible without air. Someone previously put a felt like material that is now falling apart. I would appreciate some help here :helpsos:
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
66vairguy

Re: Passenger compartment insulation

Post by 66vairguy »

Did you mean "Dynamat Extreme"?

I've used it, great stuff, very stable, no smell. If you have Amazon Prime it ships free (and it is heavy).

Keep in mind sound deadening can't be done with just one material. Low frequency or "drumming" is reduced with a high density material like Dynamat Extreme. Higher frequency noise is cancelled with a light material like felt (or fiberglass mat in buildings). Note that Clark's carpet kits come with a felt like pad on the back of the carpet like the factory carpets had.

You'd be amazed how just leaving a little area uncovered will let in noise. So at least in the back you want to cover all the area to keep engine noise down. Up front wheel wells let in noise at higher road speeds.

With a convertible there is no way to insulate the top (expensive cars use a padded top - not available for the Corvair) to keep out noise. The Clark's engine compartment insulation (fiberglass mat) kit will quiet down the back a lot in a convertible.

Just my two cents.
my65

Post by my65 »

Yes, I meant Dynamat Extreme not dynamite extreme..... I don't know if it was my spellcheck or my fat little fingers but thanks for correcting the post.
If it will help keep out our 140 degree road temperature from radiating into the car, I will be happy. The carpet is in fair condition but it has no backing. The noise from a 1965 convertible is just going to be there.
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
my65

Post by my65 »

I will retract my statement on the condition of my carpet!!
Why did I buy this car anyway :banghead: oh yeah I like the color!! :rolling:
I ordered the thermal / sound barrier last night so today was demo day. That brings up these new questions:
Is there a cover for the floor next to the gas pedal? Someone tried form!
A lot of the joint sealer has broken out....a good local source?
If I go with the Clark carpet, which style was " original " ?
Which is the correct bolt for the seat belts?

At least the floor is not rusted and solid.
Attachments
Two long on right and two short on left
Two long on right and two short on left
This was the padding they used
This was the padding they used
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Rotated. Yes there is a cover, Clark's Corvair parts page 102 shows the cover seal, you have to find a cover. Someone out there have one for them.

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=102" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
file.jpg
102.jpg
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

As 64 PG said - yes there is a steel cover held down by four sheet meta screws (if I recall correctly). BEWARE -- use short screws or you will puncture the gas tank!! The seals are little foam things you could make, but the Clark's parts are cut to fit and not expensive if you are ordering other parts spread out the shipping cost.

Davemotohead posts here and he has solid West coast desert sheet metal parts.
Jeff at Calif. Corvair should also have some good covers.

At least your floor looks solid.

If you put in new carpet order from Clarks. Molded, fits nice (always a little trimming), and has the pad on the back.

The Dynamat Extreme has a foil cover to help reduce thermal transfer - don't expect a lot from any thermal barrier that goes in a car - too thin.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Can I just comment on the dynamat? I know people live by this stuff, but for about 1/8th of the price you can buy roof "tape" that comes in rolls at Home Depot. It's metal backing with some sort of tar on the other side. It's literally just like dynamat. I put it all over my civic, even inside the doors and 1/4s it really cut down the road noise and made my door speakers sound great. I plan on doing the same with my corvair sedan. I don't remember the brand but if you go to Home Depot by the roofing section you can't miss it. Again, an 1/8 of the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

I did a lot of looking, basically Dynamat and other noise reducing materials work by reducing the reverberations of the sheet metal. The tar paper material is fairly dense and acts to change and reduce the amount of vibrations that occur in the sheet metal of the car. The other padded materials work over them to reduce the further transmission of sounds and heat. Dynamat is very pricey, and I found a much cheaper alternative on ebay. It is not as thick as the Dynamat but for the cost you can put two layers and still be ahead of the game on cost. I have used it on my Lakewood to replace the insulation on the rear floor/engine cover. I worked great, stuck well and conformed to the contours fairly nicely. Take a look and compare the prices http://www.ebay.com/itm/182018363885
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

wbabst wrote:...I have used it on my Lakewood to replace the insulation on the rear floor/engine cover. I worked great, stuck well and conformed to the contours fairly nicely. Take a look and compare the prices http://www.ebay.com/itm/182018363885
"NEW Bulk Self-adhesive 2-sided Aluminum Moisture Barrier Insulation Asphalt Roll"

Use with caution. Many of us have regretted installing asphalt-based materials like this inside a car. Most of these alternate materials are intended for home construction or HVAC uses where the application is not as critical and you don't have high interior temperatures like in the summer.

I thought I had saved money too with an alternate sound deadener but during the second summer I found a problem. In my case a black goo began oozing out of all the seams. It stained through my carpet and smelled noxious too. I took a long time to clean it all up. It was like liquid tar and about as thick as heavy oil that begin puddling in all the low areas. I had to use a lot of mineral spirits to get it all cleaned up.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

I don't know which brand I used but it made it through last summer with the windows rolled up in a dark car. No smell or anything. In fact if I put it side by side with dynamat you'd have a hard time deciding which was the roof tape. I also used it on my shed roof and it stays the same consistency even in the sun. It's not asphalt I believe it's rubber based.

-Steve
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

lostboy wrote:Can I just comment on the dynamat? I know people live by this stuff, but for about 1/8th of the price you can buy roof "tape" that comes in rolls at Home Depot. It's metal backing with some sort of tar on the other side. It's literally just like dynamat. I put it all over my civic, even inside the doors and 1/4s it really cut down the road noise and made my door speakers sound great. I plan on doing the same with my corvair sedan. I don't remember the brand but if you go to Home Depot by the roofing section you can't miss it. Again, an 1/8 of the price.

Good grief ---- If you had read the other posts you would know about the negative issues with cheap roofing materials inside a car.

If you want to put cheap junk (probably made in China) in your car - go ahead, but don't mock others for liking a good product like Dynamat.
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

I used EZCOOL, it works for temperature and noise. It is a closed-cell foam with foil on both sides. It is recommended for cars and the price is reasonable.
Bought it online, free domestic shipping
http://www.lobucrod.com/
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

66vairguy wrote:
lostboy wrote:Can I just comment on the dynamat? I know people live by this stuff, but for about 1/8th of the price you can buy roof "tape" that comes in rolls at Home Depot. It's metal backing with some sort of tar on the other side. It's literally just like dynamat. I put it all over my civic, even inside the doors and 1/4s it really cut down the road noise and made my door speakers sound great. I plan on doing the same with my corvair sedan. I don't remember the brand but if you go to Home Depot by the roofing section you can't miss it. Again, an 1/8 of the price.

Good grief ---- If you had read the other posts you would know about the negative issues with cheap roofing materials inside a car.

If you want to put cheap junk (probably made in China) in your car - go ahead, but don't mock others for liking a good product like Dynamat.
I didn't mock anyone wtf are you talking about? Also, like a said in my last post, whatever I used is literally the same thing as dynamat. Side by side there is no visible or physical difference. Lastly, what I used wasn't junk, or made in China. Sorry someone pissed in your Wheaties mate, but don't take it out on someone trying to save others their hard earned money. No one is saying anything against dynamat in case they have you bought and paid for, just saying there are cheaper alternatives that aren't made out of asphalt.

-Steve
County98

Post by County98 »

The difference is the asphalt base. Don't use that. It may be fine for a couple years and then it will give up the ghost and start to turn to goo. Might even be fine for floors if covered with something else, but vertically or upside down on roof is a bad idea.

Some of the cheap alternatives are butyl based just like the high dollar stuff and will PROBABLY be fine. Just use the butyl (rubberish) backed stuff and stay away from asphalt(tar) based. Just my .02.
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

County98 wrote:The difference is the asphalt base. Don't use that. It may be fine for a couple years and then it will give up the ghost and start to turn to goo. Might even be fine for floors if covered with something else, but vertically or upside down on roof is a bad idea.

Some of the cheap alternatives are butyl based just like the high dollar stuff and will PROBABLY be fine. Just use the butyl (rubberish) backed stuff and stay away from asphalt(tar) based. Just my .02.
Yes, that's exactly what it is, butyl based. Thank you for clarifying. It's worked wonders on the bottom side of my deck lid, and man does that trunk get hot in the summer.

-Steve

Return to “Corvair Talk”