Gone To Long

Humor, Politics, etc...
Chicago Guy

Gone To Long

Post by Chicago Guy »

I sorta been missing from the forum for sometime now due to a stroke, I just get to read the current posts and vote each
month with my wife's help.

With gods help, I hope to be back 100% by summer and working on my Spyder in slow motion ( Doctors orders ). I have
taken a few photos of the restoration that has been done so for but in my opinion, nothing to brag about.

Looks like there are a lot of new members that have came aboard, to them I say WELCOME and enjoy the great folks and
their knowledge that they share in their posts on the forum.

Hope to be back very soon, until then, I will be the fly on the wall.

Regards,

Gene
Last edited by Chicago Guy on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64 Spyder Coupe
63 Pont SD 421
JasonC
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Gone To Long

Post by JasonC »

I wish you luck and a quick recovery. My pap just had a stroke not to long ago. It's effected his life pretty bad.
1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp 4spd
1992 BMW 325ic
1997 Jeep Cherokee SE 4x4
dawgfishx wrote:Pennsylvanians...Annoying the British since 1775 ! ;-)
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: Welcome back, Gene!

Although each stroke is different, depending on the individual, the cause, and the location in the brain, I do know something about strokes and recovering from them.

My wife had her first stroke in the summer of 1978, at Hanscom AFB in Bedford, Massachusetts. She was 25 years old at the time, and suffered a brain hemorrhage that caused a complete paralysis on her left side. The area of the bleed was inoperable, but fortunately the bleed stopped on its own. Over the course of several months she slowly recovered the use of her left arm and left leg (with the help of physical therapy). The doctors could diagnose and treat her, but could not predict how much recovery she might achieve. Lots of prayers, support, and work resulted in about a 90% recovery. In October 1979 she gave birth to our second son. In 1980 we were reassigned to a location near Ramstein Air Base, Germany (near Kaiserslautern). During our three-year tour there she was able to join me on a 10 km (6.2 mile) Volksmarch (a noncompetitive walk) in the German forest. We also spent a week in London, England in 1983 and walked extensively as we toured that old city. We returned to the USA in 1983, and she was able to return to employment, raise our children, and even run the household alone for a year in 1988 while I served on an unaccompanied tour of duty in South Korea, and again for several months while I served in Operation Desert Shield in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Over the years she had additional bleeds that caused increased permanent paralysis on the left side, and she had to discontinue working and went on permanent disability in 2001. But fortunately there has been no more bleeds in the subsequent years, so we manage with the disabilities and continue to lead a relatively normal lifestyle.

I mention all of this with the hope that it will help to encourage your recovery and progress. Your positive attitude, as well as the support of your family, your doctors, and your faith are extremely important. During her initial recovery, doctors and physical therapists often asked my wife to talk to others who had suffered strokes, with the hope that her demonstrated progress and positive attitude would help to encourage their recoveries. Your words do sound very encouraging, and I was glad to read of your progress and of your wife's support. For over 36 years I have been serving in a role that is similar to your wife's role as she supports you. I know that the two of you together can provide support and encouragement for each other as you work to recover from your stroke.

You are in our prayers and we wish you all the best! :thumbsupwink: :thumbup:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome back :welcomeparty:
Best wishes on a speedy recovery
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Aw hey Gene......glad you're still around with us, that's for sure! I hope that all of your ability and function improves with time, buddy.......and that you'll be able to enjoy your 'vair again soon. Hang in there! :clap:
Chicago Guy

Post by Chicago Guy »

Thanks folks, I would like to thank you all for your prayers and thoughts, I will be back to soon! :ty:

Regards,

Gene
64 Spyder Coupe
63 Pont SD 421
Cfred

Post by Cfred »

I have just finished my Chemo treatment and my 62 Monza Wagon is a part of my recovery therapy. Going to take a while until I get my strength build up.

Our Prayers and thoughts are with you and your Family.
Chicago Guy

Post by Chicago Guy »

Cfred, I also send my prayers to you and wish you the best my friend!!
64 Spyder Coupe
63 Pont SD 421
hentysnr

Post by hentysnr »

Hey Gene

Just to let you know you are in our thoughts in South Africa, my late Father in Law suffered from Parkinsons for 35 yrs and for the last ten years of his life I witnessed his suffering as he endured multiple stroke`s in the years I knew him (my 2nd marriage, 11 years this month) Quite correctly as Brad states each stroke has a different effect and consequence. I'm 59 this month and my Doctor is constantly warning me de-stress your life, so you take care friend, have faith and be careful and good to yourself, your Corvair needs you. Fortunately the cars are patient and are willing to wait for us. Everything of the best from South Africa :tu:

Regards
Henty
WHY DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE THAN A CORVAIR :emfront:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'61 4dr 700 BIG BORE 3.2lt
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
Chicago Guy

Post by Chicago Guy »

Thank you my friend, I am still around and getting much stronger in my arm/hand. Hope I will have
my nails dirty in a few months. My blessings are sent to you all. :pray:

Regards,

Gene
64 Spyder Coupe
63 Pont SD 421

Return to “Off Topic”