Bought my first project Corsa today!

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
gsharp73

Bought my first project Corsa today!

Post by gsharp73 »

I am new to the Corvair family and this car will be a work in progress! I purchased a 1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible for $800. Excited to get the car home which will have to be trailered and then let the work begin!
Attachments
Corsa.jpg
Swngaxl

Re: Bought my first project Corsa today!

Post by Swngaxl »

Congrats, and welcome! Looks like a great project, you are in for one great adventure!
Phil

64 Spyder convertible
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome! Those look like full knock off wheels :eek:

Can't wait to see more photos :tu:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum. I think you will find this Forum to be of great help with your Corsa convertible. It is the best site of its type that I have seen.

Would love to see more detail of your recent Corsa acquisition. Looks great so far!

My current Corvair is number 10 in a long line of family Corvairs. I purchased this 1966 Corsa convertible last June, after being without a Corvair in the family since the early 1990s. I was proud of my new acquisition, and when I saw a promotion on the CORSA Facebook page for the Corvair Forum Corvair of the Month program, I decided to give it a try. I joined the Corvair Forum in August 2012 and entered my newly purchased Corvair Corsa convertible.

If you want to read a brief personal biography that outlines my family background and our experiences with Corvairs, go to CORVAIR FORUM > Introductions > New from Lake Chatuge North Carolina. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=4032

Here is another Corsa convertible from my past. I grew up with this one, starting when my parents purchased it new in 1965 (when I was still in elementary school and about 12 years old. I learned to drive in this car, took my first drivers license test in this car, took this Corvair all over the USA and to Germany during my 24 years in the Air Force, and brought several of my children home from the hospital when they were born in this Corvair...

Dad and Brad at Edwards AFB Air Show in 1965 with our new 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible (140HP, 4-Speed Manual transmission)

Pregnant Tracy standing next to our 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible, parked in front of our apartment in Warner Robins, Georgia (Fall, 1973) — in Warner Robins, GA.

1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible 140hp 4x1 - Spring 1980 - Base Housing, just after it was repainted Red and a new convertible top was installed. Taken in the parking lot behind base housing at Hanscom Air Force Base. Massachusetts.

I would like to suggest that you check out the nearest CORSA chapter and consider joining the club. Online Corvair groups like the Corvair Forum are really terrific, and can provide you with a great deal of information and assistance, as well as a sense of camaraderie. But there is nothing like face-to-face contact with other Corvair enthusiasts. Either approach – direct contact or the Internet – can be very good. But both approaches together can be excellent and can provide you with greatly improved enjoyment of your Corvair.

When writing to a new member of the Corvair Forum for the first time, I usually try to provide some useful Internet links that I have found to be helpful when owning a Corvair. Here are some good Internet sources that I have found to be useful, and some additional links for Corvair-related information:

Free Downloadable Corvair Shop Manuals, Parts Manuals, Service Manuals, etc.
http://1969corvair.com/techpages/Corvai ... Index.html

Free Early Model Corvair Shop Manual & Other Useful Manuals
http://www.corvair.org/chapters/corvanatics/manuals.php

Joining CORSA (Corvair Society of America) -- if you are not already a member -- and a local Corvair club chapter is another good way to see and to learn more about Corvairs. You might check out the CORSA chapter in your area. Contacting a local club and making Corvair-knowledgeable friends can often be a big help.
CORSA (Corvair Society of America) Chapter Locator
Locating a local CORSA chapter near you can be very helpful, and attending meetings, parties, Corvair shows, etc. can greatly add to the enjoyment of your Corvair
https://www.corvair.org/index.php?optio ... crmSID=3_u

Clark's Corvair Parts
http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.cgi

Corvair Underground
http://www.corvairunderground.com

Corvair Ranch (Used Parts, Machine Shop, etc.)
http://www.corvairranch.com/

This Web site seems to have the most comprehensive and well-researched data for fitting various tires and wheels to EM (Early Model, 1960-64) and LM (Late Model, 1965-69) Corvairs:
Sizing Corvair Wheels and Tires: http://autoxer.skiblack.com/tires.html
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
gsharp73

Post by gsharp73 »

Yes, those are full set of period Dayton 13 inch knock off wire wheels. But those will not be staying on the car. I am going to go with disk brakes, so I will be getting a sporty high polished rims hopefully in 14". The original color was gold with a tan non power top and black interior in the early 1970s it was repainted Cadillac Fire Mist Gold. I think I am going to go 1981 Plymouth Ginger Tan for the color when done. The 140 4 carb engine ran when parked - it has a carburetor rotation kit on it with an original modified 140 4 carb air cleaner. At some point in the late 70s the car was fuel injected -that has been removed but the performance cam remains. A later Saginaw 4spd with positraction rear was also added.

We are still working getting the car off the original owner's property. He has many small trees sprouted up around it which need to be cut back to get the car through the garage and out the other side on to our trailer. The car is parked on a concrete slab.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Strange how that Corsa convertible seems to have enjoyed a lot of attention in its early life, only to end up ignored and "buried" in the woods and neglected. The expensive wire wheels, performance modifications and even a CORSA club sticker on the side window all indicate an early, active interest in the car... an interest that seemed to fade with time. Hopefully you will find the car to be well-maintained and completely intact so that your efforts to restore it will go smoothly. If the body is in good shape and rust-free -- critically important, especially in a convertible -- you may have found an excellent starting point for your project!

The article I referenced earlier earlier on sizing Corvair wheels and tires may prove helpful to you in pursuing your intent to upsize the rims on your Corvair. If the classic 13" Dayton wire wheels are in good condition they may be sold successfully to someone who wants to fit them to another Corvair while retainnig the 13" wheel size. This could help to offset the cost of new wheels and tires for your Corsa. I'm sure that there would be some significant interest in obtaining those unique wire wheels for another Corvair on the Corvair Forum.

Do your plans for converting to disc brakes include four-wheel disc brakes, or swiching on the front only? You should know that the performance of the large-size drum brakes that Chevrolet fitted to the 1965 and later Corvairs was quite good and really more than adequate for good performance -- especially on the street. They also usually do quite well in racing and autocross, but the performance improvement found with disc brakes in hard racing conditions may justify the added expense. If your intent is to use this Corsa on the street only, however, the added expense may not be as easily justified. The upgrade to 14" or larger wheels, however, will open up many performance tire options that simply would not be available in the 13' size. The Late Model Corvair responds quite well to the installation of larger, modern low profile radial tires.

I hope that you will choose to document your progress with this Corvair project on the Corvair Forum. I would love to see how it turns out, and to see each major step along the way! :runwoohoo: :thumbsupwink:
Brad Bodie
gsharp73

Post by gsharp73 »

The family that I bought the car from had several corvairs on their property and in garages. Their intentions were there, but time ran away from them and they have become overwhelmed. They are now cleaning up the property and enjoying what is currently restored. They parting with the cars that others would like to restore. He knows the vast history of this car which to before him belonged to a military family and just traveled all over the United States. I plan to document the history a little more thoroughly. I think the past owner and I will remain good friends. He and his cars go to car shows and I go to many as well. I am heading to Camaro Nationals next month to show off the very modified always a work in progress 1969 Convertible Camaro.

For the Corvair, I was planning on going front disk and leave the rear drums. I am a big internet reader and I am just learning this Corvair breed. I was also fascinated by them as a child going to Carlisle with my father. My dad was not a fan of Chevy, but I always was.

Any suggestions would be a big help for me. I have downloaded the manual and read the tire sizing site. I do have a question, I was planning on using LizardSkin Sound Barrier paint first and then the LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation on the interior of the car. Would you use LizardSkin Ceramic Insulation as an exterior undercoating? I wish I knew about this product last year when we put a new floor in the Tahoe.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: This is the first that I had heard of this product, but if it works as advertised, provides a little sound deadening, and protects from rust, it sounds pretty good. Maybe some others on the Corvair Forum have some experience with this product. From the looks of things in the video below, it's too bad Chevrolet didn't have this product to undercoat and protect the trunk and floor of the Corvair in the 1960s. It may help to "bulletproof" the unibody Corvair to survive many more years of exposure to the hostile world!

Lizard Skin Sound Control Formula 1-Gal Pail
Details
Lizard Skin® Sound Control dampens vibration to cut down on noise Lizard Skin Sound Control is an easy-to-spray, vibration-dampening formula that effectively reduces interior noise and enhances sound systems.
Dampens annoying rattles, vibrations and road noise
Protects surface from starring and rust
Continuous protective moisture barrier
1-gal. pail covers 20-25 sq. ft.
Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation is an easy to apply effective heat insulating coating for virtually any metal surface. Withstands -45 to 500 degrees F. This water-based coating is formulated with high-grade acrylic binders & air filled particles. Proven aerospace technology dramatically reduces surface temperature by 20-25 degrees F. Cleans up with soap & water. Easier to apply in contoured areas than peel and stick products. Covers 20-25 sq ft. at 0.040 (40mils /1 mm) thickness dry. May be used over 21201 Lizard Skin Sound Control for maximum sound control and insulation performance.

http://www.eastwood.com/lizard-skin-sou ... -pail.html

Brad Bodie
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Welcome to the forums! That's quite a nice find there.....hope the metal is still looking good. Wow, I'm pretty amazed when you mentioned fuel injection from the 70's! Wow!! I'd love to see any of that if it's included...
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

Congrats on your new toy. Post up some pictures when you drag it home. :tu:
and :welcome:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
gsharp73

Post by gsharp73 »

I went to visit the Corsa yesterday and took more photos. The car is still not home yet, but that is fine since my husband has dismantled the Camaro again in the garage. Here is more photos mostly taken of the problem areas. :eek:
Attachments
IMG_4257.JPG
IMG_4256.JPG
More
More
IMG_4236.JPG
IMG_4244.JPG
IMG_4253.JPG
gsharp73

Post by gsharp73 »

A few more!
Attachments
IMG_4231.JPG
IMG_4250.JPG
IMG_4247.JPG
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Looks pretty good! Funny how locations that are little rougher on sheetmetal are a lot softer on the interiors as the years go by.......I live in the desert, so I love to see uncracked dash pads and bright orange gauge needles! Yee-hawww!!

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:whoa: Certainly a challenge, but hopefully not beyond redemption! :pray: :chevy:
Main Entry: redemption
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: salvation
Synonyms: atonement, purification, rebirth, regeneration, sanctification
Application: Corvair!
A 1965 Corvair Corsa Convertible in Sierra Tan with Beige Convertible Top

Here is a breakdown of the information on the body tag you provided...
BODY TAG INFO:
Body Tag.jpg
Body Build Date: 12A = December (12) First Week (A)

Interior Paint Code: E = Black

ST = "Style" 65-10767 = 1965 (65) Chevrolet (1) Corsa (07) Convertible (67) WRN = Willow Run, Michigan Plant 2013 (Production Sequence Number)

TR = "Trim" 713 = Black (Interior Color) S-3 PAINT

Exterior color code to go with the above interior color Black, The following Lower/Upper color tag codes would apply on your convertible car...
S-3 = Lower (Body) color: Saddle (Sierra Tan); Upper (Convertible Top) color: Beige
S = Sierra Tan Poly. Lucite No. 4626L, Rinshed-Mason No. A1713, Ditzler No. DDL 22553

Texas Corvair: 1965 Monza Sedan - Restored with Sierra Tan Exterior and "Corsa Silver" rear inset panel

W2L4P

1st Group
W = RPO A02 Tinted Windshield only

2nd Group
L = RPO M20 4 Speed

3rd Group
N/A

4th Group
P = RPO Z01 convenience group (2 sp wipers, washers, day/night inside mirror).

To the left of Body is 2013
Body number = 2013 (2,013th 1965 Corsa Convertible built at that plant)
:checkeredflag:
Sierra Tan 1965 Corsa Convertible.jpg
G# Sharp 73 Corvair Corsa.jpg
Attachments
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs.pdf
1965 Chevrolet Corvair GM Heritage Center Specs
(2.01 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
Brad Bodie
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

First of all welcome! That is a score on that car! I must say that correctly done drum brakes are fine the only benefit being possible pulling. Corvairs are so light and the drums are from cars weighing much more. If you look at the market for Corvairs you have about the most desirable car a turbo is a little more so and a 66 is rarer. That being said I am a custom car guy with a 65 Corsa Convertible myself. My car was too far gone to bring it back really nice stock so I am doing some body modifications. Do what you like with yours but bone stock cars bring more money on resale. It is your car and I firmly believe whatever makes you happy. I have been through it a few times and each case is a little different. My Corsa is the same Color too, but power top. Enjoy your car they are so fun to drive but draw a lot of attention.
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gsharp73

Post by gsharp73 »

I am so excited to get this car done before she turns 50. I'm still torn between Aztec Gold and Ginger Tan for the new color. I need that Pow! The o :tu: ld owner wants on to go Evening Orchid. I am going to go front disk brake, just because I am in over congested NJ and so need that stopping power.

Return to “Introductions”