Is my Corvair rare?

Anything Corvair related
reedbecky

Is my Corvair rare?

Post by reedbecky »

I own a 1966 Corvair Monza with a 110 hp/Powerglide . It is a convertible with a power top and air conditioning. It also has a remote driver control mirror. I haven't gone completely throughthe car to check for any other options yet, so there might be more. The only reason I am asking this is because I was looking around the 'net and came across a site autocollections.com that was selling a '66 similar to mine. It claims that the AC/Power Top config was only put into 6 cars. Is there any way to verify this ? Personally I find this hard to believe, but I am curious. The pictures on the site also show the rear panel below the bumper with aluminum inserts in it but I thought this was a Corsa option. I know some places "gloss" up the info to make the car more attractive, so I'm not sure what is accurate and what isn't. Other forum members have helped me out with other questions I have posted so hopefully they can help with this one. With less than 46,000 on the car, I need to know if this will become a total resto job or the "daily" driver that I want. If needed I can always buy another since they seem to be plentiful here in Minnesota, I just have to consult my "financial advisor"!!!!!! :pray:
Trip

Re: Is my Corvair rare?

Post by Trip »

The convertible with AC is a fairly uncommon option combo, but I don't think it is nearly as rare as all that. Here are some figures for you:

Only 36,555 factory AC Corvairs were produced total, only about 15,000 of them were "late models", and only 4,780 1966 Corvairs had factory AC.

About 10,000 1966 Monza convertibles were built and I'm pretty sure the 110hp/PG was the most common powertrain by a good margin.

One of the great things about Corvairs is that there are VERY few that are really worth any kind of "real" money, so there is no need to feel guilty about driving them =).

The remote drivers mirror is a rare option and is worth a good bit of money if everything is in decent shape. I don't remember well enough to give you a number but it's worth several hundred dollars easily.

It'd be worth decoding your fisher body tag since this seems to be a well optioned car. Post a photo of the body tag if you want and I'll see if I can find a little time to decode it, 66's are one of the easy ones to decode. The body tag I'm referring to is in the engine room, mounted to the frame rail at the very back of the car.
Also, you are correct that the rear grill with the metal insert(s) is a Corsa only item, it is standard on all Corsa's. You said "inserts" plural, only the 65 has two inserts, the 66 has one wide rear grill instead of the two separate ones. Also of note, the 65 Corsa rear grills are actually holes with grill inserts, on the 66 Corsa the actual grill is part of the panel (just like on a monza), the grill portion was painted silver and the metal insert is only the outer "border" area of the grill.
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
reedbecky

Post by reedbecky »

Thanks for the info on the car, I thought the ad was a bit misleading. From what you described, the rear panel I saw was from a '65 not a '66 which again is misleading. If I can find my digital camera, I'll uncover the car and take a picture of the ID tag you described. By the way, the mirror is VGC and works just fine. Problem is, if I take it off, I'll have to change out the inner door panel as well. Once again you have been a tremendous help! I sure am glad I joined up with this site, since it's more of a brotherhood for a greatly misunderstood car that in my opinion can compete with modern cars! :tu:
Trip

Post by Trip »

If you are going to do a restoration and you were motivated to sell the pricey remote mirror, you could either swap out the door or just weld the hole in the door closed. For someone skilled in automotive panel welding it should be pretty simple.

The whole assembly in really good condition is probably worth a lot, especially if the chrome on the mirror is nice. I think I sold just the cable and control knob for about $100 from a car that was missing the mirror, the mirror is much more valuable than that even.

I think I saw the number $700.00 mentioned as an asking price for a complete unit, but don't assume that it is definitely worth that as "asking" prices can range from too low to WAY too high!
Ray "Trip" Rodriguez III
Gouldsboro, PA
66 Corsa 140 coupe
65 Corsa 180 Turbocharged coupe
64 Monza Convertible
61 Air conditioned Monza coupe (Missy's)
See them here: https://tinyurl.com/ydc7txrf
reedbecky

Post by reedbecky »

When I locate my camera, I'll take pictures of the mirror as well. The more I think about it, I don't really need it and since I have to mount a mirror on the passenger door, I think the car would look better with a matched set. The one on the car now is different in design from a fixed set. It's the first remote I've seen on a Corvair ( I've owned about a dozen) and the money from it could by me a decent set of tires. I believe it to be the correct type and the photos should confirm this. Thanks again for your help!!
MonzaDave

Post by MonzaDave »

The statement that only 6 Corvairs were produced with power top and ac is bogus (seller's puffery). I have one (with remote mirror). The convertibles tended to be optioned up quite a bit, so ac and power top was likely fairly common.
Dave Keillor
Rochester, MN
4carbcorvair
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by 4carbcorvair »

Every Corvair is rare and unique. ;)

My 66 CORSA vert has the factory optioned luggage rack.

Only about 3,000 CORSA verts were produced and only around 5-600 had turbo engines. Mine has the 140. They are all 'rare' in their own unique way. :)
1966 Corsa convertible, 140, 4sp.
1965 Monza Convertible, 110, PG.

Dirigo Corvair group.
http://www.dirigocorvairs.net/

Return to “Corvair Talk”