New guy looking to learn

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
Lettuce60

New guy looking to learn

Post by Lettuce60 »

Just wanted to say howdy, been lurking for a little bit. Working on my 60 sedan that the better half has declared will transport us on our anniversary trip this year. She's been off the road for a few years, putting her back together after a prior owner got halfway through a floor replacement. After fixing their mistakes, I'm hoping my low mile sweetheart will get us there. Planning on leaning on the experts here to get her done in time.
carking1996

Re: New guy looking to learn

Post by carking1996 »

Show some pictures! :) And let us know what we can help provide knowledge on.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: :wave: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!
I'm sure there are many on this Forum who can make recommendations as you prepare for your upcoming Corvair-based journey. You mentioned some cosmetic and sheet metal issues with your 1960 Corvair, but have told us almost nothing about its mechanical condition or recent street usage. I would strongly suggest you provide information about your home location and travel plans that include your Corvair, so that we might help you to prepare for a safe and successful trip.
I'm hoping my low mile sweetheart will get us there.

Considering their age, most Corvairs are relatively "low mileage". But since parts availability while on the road can be difficult, and Corvair-experienced mechanics are few and far-between, your sixty-plus year-old vehicular travel companion should have a thorough health examination before undertaking any serious long-mileage excursions! It would help us to know something about your Corvair knowledge and experience and mechanical skills. Some detailed photographs of your Corvair, engine compartment, and recent driving issues and experiences can help you to perform a serious health check to improve your odds of having a successful and enjoyable trip.

I look forward to hearing and seeing more about your Corvair and your travel plans for the future.

:welcome:

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Lettuce60

Post by Lettuce60 »

Thanks for the welcome. My car has 34k on the odometer, and all of the records from the PO, and the condition of the car seem to lend credence to that. It's an older repaint that isn't all that great, so a paint job will probably be next year sometime. When the PO cut out the floors, they also cut through the fuel lines, parking brake cable, and wiring in the tunnel. I have patched the wiring, the fuel lines are next, and I have new parking brake cables to get it back together. I've started it off a jug, and while there's a little valve rattle, I think that will clear up. I plan on changing the oil and filter again, and changing the transmission filter and fluid. I need to finish welding the floors in, and get things put back together. As far as mechanical issues, I think there's a leaky pan gasket, but beyond that, it looks to be complete and runs well from the 2-3 minutes I have had it running, being bottle fed. Oh, in case I didn't say, it's a PG.

I'll have to figure out how to host photos somewhere to get pics of when I picked her up.

I have little Corvair specific experience, but have pretty thorough mechanical experience and decent general knowledge. I run a chain auto parts store, so I get a nice discount on stuff that's still available through the regular supply chain. The stuff that the big parts suppliers can't supply, I plan on sourcing through Clark's or other specialty vendors.

As far as knowledge I need for now, that's probably going to start with photos of a floor stripped of carpet/mat, so I can see how all of the jigsaw puzzle goes together. The PO cut all the steel needed to repair everything, but didn't get to finish it before being diagnosed with serious health issues. He was selling ALL of his extensive automotive collection. He and his son were working on it together. They bought it from the original owner, I have copies of her title and registration, and most of the repair records from local Chevrolet dealers until the 80s, when she stopped driving it. The PO's son's wife drove the car daily 2-3 miles to work each way for a year or two, then it only got started and driven every few months. Active registration ended about 10 years ago, but it drove to the place where it was disassembled about 5 years ago. I believe it got the bare minimum necessary to keep the engine alive without serious effort.

My plans are short term, to get her running, driving, and presentable. I think that's probably 30-40 hours away, and I *think* I'm somewhat prepared to get it all done. Long term, she needs a repaint, alternator conversion, HEI conversion, radial tires (now sitting on new Coker wide whites) and a retro-sound stereo system. I don't plan on going for a concourse restoration, I just want a fun classic driver that looks good, and will survive reasonable length trips.

Oh yeah, the trip. It's about 150 miles from home. Going from the Portland, Oregon area to the Newport, Oregon area for a few days. I figure if I can drive her a couple of weeks back and forth to work (30 miles mixed driving) without discovering serious issues, the trip should be fine. I'm not sure how it will like 70mph freeway driving, but I have the ability to stick to 55mph secondary roads for the trip.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

2 hr 25 min (131.8 mi) via I-5 S and US-20 W
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Introductions”