Headlights Out, High Beams Work, Buuuuuttt....

All Models and Years
adamgt

Headlights Out, High Beams Work, Buuuuuttt....

Post by adamgt »

Hey Vair'ers-

Question for you: My low beams went out. I gotta get in there and figure out wtf.

So meantime, I'm using the high beams, which work fine.

But, when switched on, the high beam light indicator on the dash doesn't come on...

Is that telling me something's up with the dimmer switch?

Thanks as always!!
terribleted

Re: Headlights Out, High Beams Work, Buuuuuttt....

Post by terribleted »

Very good chance this is a dimmer switch or corrosion at the dimmer switch plug issue.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

terribleted wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:46 am Very good chance this is a dimmer switch or corrosion at the dimmer switch plug issue.
Agreed -- About half the time I replace a dimmer switch I have to install a new "pigtail" (new connector with short wires to splice into the wiring harness) along with the switch due to corrosion. Back east the corrosion issue is worse.

On the LM cars the HIGH BEAM light wire is connected at the bulkhead connector to the HIGH beam power wire, not at the dimmer switch. Not sure on the EM cars. It might just be a burned out bulb!!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic
1964 Corvair Passenger Car Combined Schematic
Left-click the image to enlarge it for better viewing or "Pan & Scan". Click a second time for maximum enlargement

The 18 T (low beam) wire from the dimmer switch feeds through the main trunk multi-connector that passes through the firewall and into the trunk. There could be a fault at the dimmer switch output, the dimmer switch electrical connector, or in the plug that passes through the firewall. This single wire ultimately feeds both sides of the vehicle. A multimeter should help you to troubleshoot the circuit to see where the power is being intrrupted.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
joelsplace

Post by joelsplace »

About 95% of the time that happens to me I just switch the dimmer a few times and it starts working again. This generally only works when it hasn't been used in a long time. If you were using it regularly and it quit this trick won't work and it is time to check the connector or switch.
157 Corvairs, 5 Ultravans and counting
Northlake, TX
NMVair

Post by NMVair »

Yeah, it has happened to me. Dimmer switch bit I wonder if it vould be related to light seitch.
gbullman

Post by gbullman »

I have seen multiple bulbs burn out at the same time. Best to rule out both of your low beam filaments haven’t failed as well. Also when you say high beams work you mean all 4 bulbs, right?

Previous suggestions are likely culprits and I’d lean towards high beam indicator bulb being out with what you’ve described.
Gary Bullman
66 Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”