Corsa Turbo

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
VairDub1

Corsa Turbo

Post by VairDub1 »

Hello everyone! I just joined the forum today. I hope my half breed does not get shunned on here. I have a 1962 VW with a 1966 Corsa Turbo engine hanging off the back. Checked the block and head numbers and it's legit. Was built years ago by someone and I acquired it 2 years ago. It runs very strong! It had a quadrajet carb on it until a week ago when I changed it over to an Edelbrock 4 barrel. Still tuning it in. I have a question though. Is the 180 Corsa turbo any bigger than other Corvair turbo's? Given that I have no idea when and if the turbo has ever been replaced, I've been considering replacing it with a remanned one if I can find it. But I want the correct turbo.
20220618_152047.jpg
20220625_113915.jpg
20200926_182431.jpg
20220625_113523.jpg
20221008_203204.jpg
66vairguy

Re: Corsa Turbo

Post by 66vairguy »

VairDub1 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:38 am Hello everyone! I just joined the forum today. I hope my half breed does not get shunned on here. I have a 1962 VW with a 1966 Corsa Turbo engine hanging off the back. Checked the block and head numbers and it's legit. Was built years ago by someone and I acquired it 2 years ago. It runs very strong! It had a quadrajet carb on it until a week ago when I changed it over to an Edelbrock 4 barrel. Still tuning it in. I have a question though. Is the 180 Corsa turbo any bigger than other Corvair turbo's? Given that I have no idea when and if the turbo has ever been replaced, I've been considering replacing it with a remanned one if I can find it. But I want the correct turbo.20220618_152047.jpg20220625_113915.jpg20200926_182431.jpg20220625_113523.jpg20221008_203204.jpg
There are two basic turbo sizes. Some mix the two sides for different performance. The turbo isn't remanufactured as such, but there are a few folks that are experienced at rebuilding them. I mentioned Steve Goodman in your other post.
VairDub1

Post by VairDub1 »

Thank you! The turbo may be fine, but I think I'm going to look into finding a rebuilt one or get this one done.
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Well, here's my 2 cents...

First, I think this corvair engine was originally built as a dual carb model (maybe from a Monza) and converted to a turbo by replacing the heads with turbo heads. No turbo engine was ever built which had air conditioning. Also, the vacuum canister on the distributor should be black for a pressure retard unit, not silver for a vacuum advance unit.

The corvair turbo was not designed as a high boost engine. Stock it would only generate 6 or 7 PSI. This restriction was enforced by the stock Carter carb which limited the air intake to prevent over boosting the engine. By replacing the Carter, that restriction was removed - allowing boosts up to the mid teens or higher. Without programable ignition timing, this would eventually kill the engine - causing burnt pistons or dropped valve seats. You would also need a wastegate on the exhaust to restrict the boost to something you think the engine could handle. On your engine with that carb I don't know what that might be.

One of the problems with high boost levels is excessive heat. Many modified turbo's also have some sort of alcohol or methanol injection system activated when boost comes on. This helps keep the turbo charge cooler and head temps down.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
VairDub1

Post by VairDub1 »

Actually the air conditioning unit is aftermarket and the numbers on the distributor match up for 1966 pressure retard distributor. I'm not sure if over the last 57 years maybe someone wire wheeled the paint off or what. It doesn't give me any detonation issues unless I really run the rpm's up and that seems to be if the octane boost level isn't quite what it needs. Pretty sure it doesn't have a stock cam in it given it's top end abilities. I've been playing with small block Chevy's all my life, but never one of these gems. I know that you are correct about the black vaccum canister but the numbers are correct and it seems to perform well. I also know it needs a waste gate which will be soon. I've been driving it by the boost gauge which I installed. Ha Ha
Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Return to “Introductions”