1965-1969 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism Details

Need to know how? Want to show how?
STB2000

Re: 1965-1969 Corvair Front Door Window Mechanism Details

Post by STB2000 »

Does the door latch ("remote control") handle use a retaining spring clip? I've been able to remove the clip from the window cranks without issue using a notched wire hanger. Not so with this bugger. I can't get the trim assembly depressed sufficiently to see the clip.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

STB2000 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:19 pm Does the door latch ("remote control") handle use a retaining spring clip? I've been able to remove the clip from the window cranks without issue using a notched wire hanger. Not so with this bugger. I can't get the trim assembly depressed sufficiently to see the clip.
Yes it uses the same type clip as the window crank handles. You need a handle removal tool. The clip may be installed correctly where the tool inserts between the handle and the plastic washer under the handle or it could be installed backwards where the open end of the clip is facing rearward. removal of armrest to get the tool in position if this is the case.

Here is an example of the type of tool used. https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-and- ... lsrc=aw.ds
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
STB2000

Post by STB2000 »

Thanks Ted. I got the tool but was never able to remove the clip from either direction. It's hard to see that part of the lever; I think I see the clip and it looks like it's twisted. In any case, it's not coming off without a fight. I was able to bend the panel (which has been on my list of replacement items) enough to adjust the window. Now when I shut the door with the window down the glass does not hit the outer edge of the opening. That was the goal all along (at this stage of my tinkering).

At some point I'll need to remove that handle. I have removed the other handles using a crimped end of wire hanger, and use of the tool makes what was a painless task even easier. Any trick to removing a handle when the conventional approaches don't work? While the panel isn't good enough to save, ripping it in two in order to get a good visual seems barbaric.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Only way is to find a way to grab the clip and force it out or carefully cut the handle off the mechanism. the clip may be rotated out of place so the end is jammed into the groove in the mechanism.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “DIY - Explanations and Demonstrations”