late model inner tie rod ends

All Models and Years
65Ragtop

late model inner tie rod ends

Post by 65Ragtop »

I have found plenty of quality (Moog, Pro-forged) outer tie rod ends and sleeves online for my 1965 Corsa. Inner tie rod ends seem to be difficult to find for some reason unless you want to go with the off shore items or Clarks. No problem with that (Clarks gets tons of my business!) if its the only option but I thought I would toss it out there to see if there are options that I have missed. Suggestions anyone? Thanks.
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
caraholic4life

Re: late model inner tie rod ends

Post by caraholic4life »

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... age=SUP-44

Look at Clark's supplement Page SUP-44 and you will see they are offering Tie Rod ends for $16.00 each. (Reference Part # CX7570 & # CX7571).
They say these clearance items are what they sold prior to their current offerings and are mostly TRW or Moog pieces.
Maybe a call to inquire about what remains will result in some success at locating what you are looking for. Then again, maybe not.
1962 95 FC Van
1964 Greenbrier Deluxe
1965 Monza Coupe
1965 Monza Convertible
Mid Engine enthusiast &
Prior Kelmark Owner
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

Thanks! I've looked through that supplement several times and never saw those. I guess I don't normally pay much attention the that section. I'll check it out. Working on some other ideas as well. We'll see. I appreciate your help.
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

Tried buying those last week. Clark’s is out of the CX tie rod ends

Sent from my iPad using Corvair Forum mobile app
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
65Ragtop

Post by 65Ragtop »

Yes, these are gone. I tried to order right after I got the tip and they only had one left. I ended up ordering the Clarks reproductions to scope them out and save some time. Price was competitive. Here are some comparison pics of original factory ends and Clarks. I have to say that I am initially impressed! The Clarks items are bigger, beefier, slightly longer and look to be of very good quality. My only slight disappointment is with the grease fitting placement. The original is located on the end (I suspect for clearance) and the Clarks unit is located in the standard position. I was kind of expecting the grease fitting would be in the correct original position on a reproduction. I'm not building a strict stocker so it is not a big deal for me but worth noting for someone who is. I will be noting the clearance when I get it all installed to see if I need to grind a notch or just remove the zerk and plug the grease fitting hole between service intervals. We will see how they hold up. I'm optimistic.
Attachments
Clarks on top, Original factory on bottom. Note zerk position.
Clarks on top, Original factory on bottom. Note zerk position.
Overall larger size, slightly longer.
Overall larger size, slightly longer.
Bigger overall.
Bigger overall.
Mike S.
65 Corsa 140 Ragtop
CORSA member

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”