Planning our trip to the States

Humor, Politics, etc...
hentysnr

Planning our trip to the States

Post by hentysnr »

Hi Guys
As you might know, I live in sunny South Africa a very small country on the Southern tip of Africa, in a town called Grahamstown. Our summers are really hot, up to 40degree Celcius, what's that about 105 degrees Fahrenheit? Our winters are cool temp drops to about 10-15 degrees Celcius not too cold for me. Why am I telling you this?? It is our intention to visit my sons who are American citizens, Joshua (eldest 23) is married to a lovely girl from Phoenix, Arizona and is now moving from Redlands CA to Louisville Kentucky Seminary to do his Masters in Theology Studies. Henty jnr (21) is completing his studies in Theology at BCU in Riverside in May and he has been asked to join the Staff at BCU on completing his Studies. If I'm correct the distance between Riverside CA and Louisville Kentucky is some 1800miles and it seems like the winters in Kentucky are very cold ie heavy snow etc. Is this correct or are the Internet pictures an exaggeration, is it as cold as it looks :eek: ?? I do not do well in the cold at all :whoa: . If what I see is true then we will have to plan our trip for your summer in 2016, as I cannot get leave this year June, July, hence the question about winter your Dec, Jan which is when I can next get leave :sad5: Any comments, advice much appreciated let me know, I know it is early days but have to save up as we are dealing with a ZAR10.75 to USD1.00 exchange rate. If I do make it out to visit them I would really like to meet some of you guys who live near around my sons. Let me know :tu:
Kind regards
Henty
WHY DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE THAN A CORVAIR :emfront:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'61 4dr 700 BIG BORE 3.2lt
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Planning our trip to the States

Post by azdave »

Winter in Phoenix is very nice but our summers are quite hot with daily temps near 41C quite often. Usually in June we hit 45C a few days.

As for winter in Kentucky, it can be very cold there depending on the jet stream and how far a cold front out of Canada is settles into the eastern half of the USA. When it's really cold in the eastern USA it is usually is much warmer in the western USA due to the same jet stream effect. We have been much warmer in Phoenix these last few weeks while the other side of the USA is much colder.

This has been a very, very cold season for eastern USA. No telling what might happen on your trip though.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
hentysnr

Re: Planning our trip to the States

Post by hentysnr »

Hi Azdave
Thanks for the reply, as you say and by the sounds of what my eldest son reports, Kentucky can be bitterly cold by our standards. Well decisions made we will definitely go in your summer time. Been to the UK 4 times and every time it was in their winter time, man that was miserable weather. I lived in Germany 67 & 68 in Wolfsburg (my late father worked for VW) and I remember walking across a lake in winter as a short cut to school. Man that was cold also remember going skiing too and I think its called toboganing? My daughter in law parents live in Phoenix he is a landscaper by profession. Hoping to meet them when we out there, might just come and knock on your door if you do not object? The wife is going to do a Quilting retreat in Star Valley Wyoming. I recently imported a Knolting Longarm Quilting machine from Hiawatha in Iowa. Anyway we are looking forward to our trip just a lot of money , but hey you only live once the saying goes. You take care now :wave:
WHY DRIVE ANYTHING ELSE THAN A CORVAIR :emfront:

'64 Bad Back!
'60 4dr 500
'61 4dr 700 BIG BORE 3.2lt
'63 Monza Coupe
'65 Monza Coupe

Return to “Off Topic”