The Policeman by Paul Harvey

Humor, Politics, etc...
64powerglide

The Policeman by Paul Harvey

Post by 64powerglide »

I have always liked Paul Harvey. This is one of his best. Could he have known???

Merry Christmas all.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: The Policeman by Paul Harvey

Post by bbodie52 »

:ty: :goodpost: Excellent! I always loved listening to Paul Harvey. He passed away in 2009 at the age of 90. (I failed to notice at the time, because my 85-year-old father was in the hospital then, and passed away three days after Paul Harvey died). I will always miss Paul Harvey's inspiring comments and guidance.

Paul Harvey receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005

With regard to the racial protests that are in the news, and the murder of two policemen in New York, here are some thoughts I posted today on Facebook following a posting on this subject by Fox News...

Martin Luther King's speech...
Brad Bodie wrote:This comes to mind... " I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." -- Martin Luther King, Jr.

To clarify my comment that refers to Martin Luther King's words in his speech: I would not want police focusing their attentions on one segment of the community because of the color of their skin, but because their poor character (criminal behavior) warranted it. Along the same lines, I find it sad that some in the black community are willing to condemn the police when they have a conflict with a criminal suspect — the black protesters apparently willing to overlook the observed criminal behavior because of the color of the suspect's skin! It was the content of Garner and Brown's character that caught the attention of the police, and forced the arrest attempts. Sadly, it was Garner and Brown's resistance to arrest that escalated things quickly out of control, with such tragic consequences. It was their skin color that drove the black community to overlook their behavior and to declare the police actions to be "racist" in nature. And it was racist hostility against white policemen that ultimately drove a madman to travel to New York with the intention of murdering two white policemen — judging them not by the content of their character, but by the color of the skin of each policeman. I think Martin Luther King's speech was beautiful and meaningful, and should guide us all.

There is a movement called: "Black Lives Matter" that began with the wrongful death of Trayvon Martin.The movement focuses on wrongful deaths of members of the black community. Deaths that sometimes have little, if any negative consequences for the killer. Trayvon Martin was apparently an innocent victim of an overzealous neighborhood watch volunteer, George Zimmerman, who was armed with a gun and forced a confrontation with an innocent, unarmed young black man that quickly escalated out of control — resulting in Trayvon Martin's death. George Zimmerman suffered few consequences for his terrible actions, and that rightly angered many in the black community and the nation. However, I believe angry people are too quick to apply these ideas to the cases of Brown and Garner, where the events and circumstances were quite different.

But I see the term "Black Lives Matter" having a larger connotation. We see many black lives wasted in cities like Chicago, Philadelphia, New York, and throughout the nation with young black people who drop out of school, become involved with gangs and criminal elements, and generally waste their own lives — and all too often damage or destroy the lives of other black people in the process. Lacking parental guidance, pressured by social prompting from their peers, etc., their lives are often short and tragic, ending with death or prison. I would like to see the "Black Lives Matter" movement expand with a serious introspective look within the black community to see what can be done to direct a positive influence and movement within black communities to emphasize education and training, strong positive family ties and effective parental and community involvement, and a sense of personal responsibility to save the lives of so many young black people who become misguided, angry, and lost!
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Another good one from Paul Harvey.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

But the ability to embed this video on another website like the Corvair Forum has been disabled.
Here is the link to view the Paul Harvey video...

:link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Az0okaHig

:evil: Another version... Paul Harvey's 1965 monologue is unsettling and prophetic! Fifty years after he spoke these words, what do we see in our world??? :angry:

:sad5: :helpsos: :whoa:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Off Topic”