NEW LI-ION JUMP BOXES

Humor, Politics, etc...
Melb-Mike

NEW LI-ION JUMP BOXES

Post by Melb-Mike »

Hello to all your techni geniuses

A couple of weeks ago I was watching Motorcar Magazine show on TV and on their little technical section, they showed a small Li-Ion battery jump start box that was about 1/3 the size of the typical current jump box. The guy showing it off was from the Sears Die-Hard division and said these were going to be available by December 2014 (like now) and they would retail below $100. Well, I can't find any such animal.

Have any of you seen any ? All I can find is the Stanley Li-Ion jump box which claims to be about 60% of the size and 40% of the weight. You don't need one in a Corvair since they ALWAYS start, but I need one in my high-fuluting Porsche that seems to have all the bells and whistles but automatic headlights and I invariably forget to turn them off. Three hours later, as I approach the car, I notice it has its parking lights on and my hopes build up. Then one little turn of the key pretty well blows off the optimism. I now carry a set of jumper cables and hold up as sign "WILL MOW LAWNS FOR A JUMP START". Any other car like the Corvair, you know the friggin lights don't turn off by themselves...........and wouldn't you think a 2004 911 twin turbo would offer the same convenience. NO. My plain jane Corvettes DO. My F150 does too.

So have any of you guys seen or had any experience with these small boxes ? The one they showed on TV was about 1/3 the size and had extra long cables to reach those hard to reach battery posts.
Prior Corvair owner 30+ years ago
Just acquired 64 Spyder, 66 & 65 Corsa,
adding to 69 Corvette BB, 67 GTO,
2015 Corvette Z06,
04 996TT Porsche,
04 Caterham Super 7
just sold 87 Porsche 930 Turbo (Thank God)
64powerglide

Re: NEW LI-ION JUMP BOXES

Post by 64powerglide »

Ran across this site, not available until May!!!!

http://www.cnet.com/news/pocket-sized-jump-starters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
notched

Post by notched »

I have one called a Micro Start XP-1. It works great and will jump start a car. Do not leave it hooked up or you will melt the leads. I bought mine on Ebay but you can also find them on Amazon.com
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

One of my technicians has a Rockford Pocket Power unit that is impressive. Right after he got it I am sure we made at least 15 jump starts in the first week before he charged it (had a few cars with weak or bad batteries around at that time ). It was still starting dead cars but you could hear it was not fully powered. I do not know about other brands but the Rockford looks to be rock solid.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Believe it or not I saw them a month ago at Big Lots.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Off Topic”