how far does the convertible top go back???

Anything Corvair related
potato124

how far does the convertible top go back???

Post by potato124 »

I have a new (to me) 66 convair convertible, and when I put the top back, it seems to stop pretty high up. The cover that goes over the folded top is extremely tight, not really fitting on all of the buttons. There are these two plastic stops, one on each side. I am wondering if they are meant to stop the top from going back too far, or are they meant to be moved out of the way to allow the top to fold back further...
Skrain

Re: how far does the convertible top go back???

Post by Skrain »

If they are like the two tabs on my 64, they are used to hold the top down when folded. My top just gets pushed down until the two metal tabs snap over the frame, and hold it down tight so the boot goes on easier. Then to put the top up, you just push the tabs in toward the middle of the car to release the frame one side at a time.
1964 Monza Spyder Turbo Convertible.
1949 Ford 8N Tractor
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4X4 Pickup
potato124

Post by potato124 »

So, I should push these tabs out of the way?
Attachments
photo (6).JPG
photo (6).JPG (29.06 KiB) Viewed 670 times
potato124

Post by potato124 »

looking at the picture and comparing to the one in the clark's catalog, I think the one on mine has the top broken off. The plastic ledge shown in the picture is where the top is supposed to stop, so I may be at my max recline position already. Trouble is the boot is pretty hard to get on...any suggestions would be appreciated!
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Your clip does look like it has the top broken off. Pretty common on those old clips. The top boot (parade boot) is vinyl and they shrink quite a bit over the years if they are not attached to anything to keep them from shrinking. They can't really be restretched back to the original size. The best thing to do it to get them as warm as possible before installing them. I bought a new one from Clarks for my 66 vert. Pics before and after below.

Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
potato124

Post by potato124 »

Great pics, wish I had AC here in Texas, that is for sure...

Do you mind taking a picture of the clip with the top retracted? Seems it could click onto 2 different places on the top, either a thick section or a thin section...The answer may just be getting a new boot.
Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=294

If you look at the picture at the far right on the bottom of the page you will see the top plastic part of your hold downs are missing.
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

potato124 wrote: Do you mind taking a picture of the clip with the top retracted?
I would be happy to do that but I sold the car a few years back. I looked through my old pics but can't find any with better detail than what I posted already.

I don't really like convertibles so I don't keep them long when I come across one.
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door

Return to “Corvair Talk”