FC/EM diff

All Models and Years
Vanman

FC/EM diff

Post by Vanman »

Did my rt side U joint shaft seal 2 days ago, and noticed the u joint shaft wobles some. So I know I need it rebuilt or replaced. It would be quicker to find a rebuilt. It has a '66 110 and a 4 spd in it right now. What am I looking for as far as a diff? I can't tell you what's original or not other than the engine is not. My biggest hurdle here is not knowing Vairs to well, I can problem solve and turn a wrench but Im realy trying to get a replacemant and dont know what Im looking for.

Thanks for any input, Kevin
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
terribleted

Re: FC/EM diff

Post by terribleted »

Are you saying the inner yoke of the right side drive axle (the part inboard nof the universal joint) wobbles in the side of the transaxle? A slight wobble here is somewhat normal. More than a little means that somethng is wrong. It is common for FC's to wear the splines on the yoke (may not need a differential rebuild but rather a drivshaft yoke that is not worn out)(will also cause it to leak by the way). It is also possible that wear in the differential itself is the culprit (side bearing wear maybe). How closely did you look when you had the axle out? It can be somewhat hard to tell how bad the spline wear is just looking at a yoke unless you have a better one sitting next to it. I would remove the axle from the yoke and insert the yoke only in the differential. Turn the yoke forward and then back feeling for slop, the splines should be basically slop free. (spline wear can effect splines on both the yoke and differential though from what I have seen the yokes seem to wear faster than a carrier).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Yeah Im gonna go back in there and take a closer look. I spoke with some one else in regaurds to this and figured I need to look further into it. He said some play is common on these older vehicles, .25" is about the most excessive it should have and that is rather extreme. I am also going to double check the u-joint as it sits in the yoke, as I thought I saw it moving in there also.

Thanks for the input.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
Danthesignman

Post by Danthesignman »

So a LM diff and tranny will work in an FC ? .....crazy.... I found a diff at my brothers house out of his old 64 convert. It has a 3.27 axle ratio which is what I want . I was warned on the "other" forum that it would be geared too high for pulling a trailer but I think it will be OK . Vanman , I think that opens up the diff from Eric to go to You if You want it . I have what I think is a 65 car 4 sp. , now I just need a crossmember .
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Danthesignman wrote:So a LM diff and tranny will work in an FC ? .....crazy.... I found a diff at my brothers house out of his old 64 convert. It has a 3.27 axle ratio which is what I want . I was warned on the "other" forum that it would be geared too high for pulling a trailer but I think it will be OK . Vanman , I think that opens up the diff from Eric to go to You if You want it . I have what I think is a 65 car 4 sp. , now I just need a crossmember .

Says who? LM diff does not work in FC. (well perhaps it could be made to work with some sort of adapter to link swing axle to inner half shaft mounts)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Danthesignman

Post by Danthesignman »

Sorry , read his post too fast , thought he said he had a 66 110 AND 4sp. in his van .
Vanman

Post by Vanman »

Yeah, definetly needs attention. Spoke w/Mike L today, and considering some options.

I know Dan was asking about ratios, Im sorta curious also. Its a 110 motor in there, 185/65/14 tires. Was wondering if I should go to a 3.27 gear. Im not looking at towing or hauling anything, maybe at worst a Sears swivel wheel trailer, but that doesnt even count. It will be driven alot localy, but I want to be able to keep up with traffic on the highway. I understand on the other hand that I dont want to bog the engine down. Just seeing if anyone has any input.
Kevin, Plainfield IL

'63 Corvan

'63 Custom Bug.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

A 3.27 will work ok but might be a little slow off the line perhaps. The truck would be happier at highway speeds than with a higher ratio. I would run a 3.55 myself as a good compromise of off the line acceleration and rpms at highway speeds. I had a 62 Loadside Pickup in the late 80's. I built it with a .30over 110 with a mild cam running into a powerglide transaxle with 3.55 gears. I found it good all around. We had a 65 110 Corvan with a 3.89 in it. That was too high for me for general use duty (might have been good if heavy loads were hauled all the time), the engine rpm at highway speeds was annoying and top end somewhat limited.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”