Em motor swap with LM

Anything Corvair related
Paulyoung88

Em motor swap with LM

Post by Paulyoung88 »

Hey guys, On here today to get some tips and possibly some tricks.

Currently have a 1960 manual motor disassembled thats going under complete restoration. In the mean time I picked up a running 1968 auto motor to play with. I know I'll have to remove the bell housing and clutch assembly over to the LM to install the motor. My current questions are, where is the ignition for these motors located? Is it under the dash? Where the hell does the positive battery wire go? ( neither of my motors had the positive wires ) Anything I should know before I do the swap? I feel like I should ask before jumping straight into it. Maybe I am missing something else??

Thanks for any help you guys can provide. :chevy:
terribleted

Re: Em motor swap with LM

Post by terribleted »

Ignition is in the dash with a key in all models unless I misunderstood your question. Large positive battery cable goes to the starter. A smaller wire from the battery + terminal goes to the main harness to feed the fuse box and ignition. The motor swap is straight forward. use the early stuff that is different from the late stuff and you are all done.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: Many of the answers to your questions can be found in the Corvair shop manuals. Wiring diagrams and illustrations in those manuals will show you the various electrical connections. You also have some decisions to make in adapting a late model engine and charging system (alternator) to a 1960 Corvair (generator system). I would choose to keep the alternator on the LM engine. But that will require some wiring harness changes and fitting the voltage regulator associated with the alternator to the 1960 Corvair. If you go the other way and choose to retain the 1960 generator, you will need to transfer the oil filter/generator adapter to the LM engine, so that you have the correct mount on the engine to mount the generator.

If your 1960 Corvair has a forced air heater system, you will have some heater hose connection differences to deal with, since some of the engine shrouds are different. If you have a gasoline heater, your decisions will be different -- primarily blocking the unused heater openings on the LM engine. The perimeter sheet metal and engine compartment seal are different, so some 1960 sheet metal will have to be fitted to the LM engine. The LM engine also has an automatic choke which functions differently than the 1960 engine. There may be some throttle linkage differences to deal with too. The rear engine mount is different so the hardware from the 1960 engine will have to be transferred.

The 1960 starter is unique and different than the 1961-1969 Corvairs. There are a number of design features in the 1960 Corvair that were unique to that single model year, so adapting an engine from a LM car will require number of decisions and perhaps some fabrication to make everything fit and work properly.

You should download appropriate shop manuals from the websites listed below, as I suggested in May. Studying these manuals will help you to plan your engine swap, wiring changes, etc. Where there is some uncertainty, members of the Corvair Forum can probaby answer your questions.
I have not seen a copy of the 1960 shop manual that is available for download online. However there are many 1961 and later technical manuals, shop manuals and guides that can be downloaded at no cost in Adobe Reader (.pdf) format that should prove useful to you. The following link will guide you to those Corvair resources...

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

A paper copy (reprint) of the 1960 Corvair Shop Manual is available and listed below...

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=244
Part number C1415: 1960 SHOP MANUAL-EXCELLENT REPRINT* MIGHT HAVE NOS=CX5895 ASSEMBLY MANUAL=C7310

Weight: 2 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 244
Price: $ 29.50
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Paulyoung88

Post by Paulyoung88 »

Awesome information guys!

TerribleTed- Yeah im referring to the ignition as in a ignition control unit/module.

Bbodie52- I have all complete hardware/parts from both EM and the LM. I will definitely be getting the shop manual for the LM motor.
You did point out some good information too. I noticed all the differences in the motors when I picked it up the other day. Will be selling all the extra unneeded Lm parts. (Like the shrouds, heat ducting shields, heat vents, motor mount, etc) For the Lm motor I will be keeping the Lm alternator rather then using the generator. As for the generator on the EM I will also be doing the gm alternator upgrade. My vair came equipped with the gas heater in the front as well. I don't believe its connected, but will fool around with it after I finish the motor.

Also pretty lucky as well the guy who sold me the motor gave me two sets of carbs along with a ton of extra parts.

Has anyone ever tried using a Msd ignition on these motors? If so how did you go about setting it up? I searched the forums on it and found nothing.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

It has been done. All kinds of combinations have been done, GM HEI and distributorless among them. Most Corvair owners that switch to electronic ignitions use a Crane XR 700, or a Pertronics Ignitor points replacement unit. I prefer the Crane.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Paulyoung88 wrote:...My vair came equipped with the gas heater in the front as well. I don't believe its connected, but will fool around with it after I finish the motor.
The attached GM pamphlets should help you with your gas heater repairs and maintenance...
Servicing the Corvair Gas Heater - Part 1.pdf
Servicing the Corvair Gas Heater - Part 1
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 20 times
Servicing the Corvair Gas Heater - Part 2.pdf
Servicing the Corvair Gas Heater - Part 2
(1.57 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=74

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=75
Brad Bodie
Ragtop Man

Post by Ragtop Man »

My pertronix lasted a few months and I'm now getting ready to order the Crane
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Ragtop Man wrote:My pertronix lasted a few months and I'm now getting ready to order the Crane
The Pertronix unit is guaranteed for 30 months. Was your Pertronix ignition system new when installed? They have a good reputation for reliability and have been around for a long time, so if yours failed I would think you might have a possible warranty claim.

I have heard that the original Pertronix units had a vulnerability in that they could fail if the ignition key was left on for a period of time with the engine not running. But I believe that this weakness was corrected in the Pertronix II designl

:link: http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor2/default.aspx
Pertronix wrote:Senses startup and develops more energy for quicker, easier starting. Built in reverse polarity and over current protection shuts down the system, preventing component damage.

You cannot use solid core (typically copper) spark plug wires with this product. Solid core wires do not suppress electro magnetic interference (EMI) which will interfere with electronics in this product. A suppression style or spiral wound spark plug wires must be used.

Senses incorrectly wired Ignitor II or a "key left on" condition and shuts down the system protecting the coil and other components from damage.
PerTronix, Inc.
440 East Arrow Highway
San Dimas, CA 91773
Phone: (909) 547-9058
Fax: (909) 599-6424
Brad Bodie

Return to “Corvair Talk”