Front End Weight

Anything Corvair related
crtoons

Front End Weight

Post by crtoons »

Hi! My "68 Monza convertible seems a little extra bumpy up front. I've put the spare tire in there to help give it some weight and I'm aware that I should also decrease the tire pressure of the front tires as well but I'm wondering if there's something else I can do to help calm down the extra bumpiness of the front end of the car. Any suggestions?
64powerglide

Re: Front End Weight

Post by 64powerglide »

Sounds like a shocking situation :eek: How old are they????????
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
crtoons

Post by crtoons »

Not sure, I've only had the car for a few weeks but my mechanic said that everything seemed OK with it underneath.
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Normal tire pressure is around 18 lbs up front, rear about 30. Are the tires in balance?

The type of tires could make a difference. Stock wheels and tires? Radial or bias ply tires?

A convertible usually has weighted tanks in each corner of front trunk area, and the rear engine area. Are the weights in place?

Many mechanics in today's market are not familiar with the Corvair. Is your choice an experienced Corvair guy?
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
tommy44432

Post by tommy44432 »

Not exactly sure what you mean by bumpy. Is it bumpy all the time? Or just a few miles after it's been sitting? Radial or bias play tires? Are the balanced? Correct tire pressure? The list goes on. Let's use the KISS method to solve this. KISS meaning "Keep It Simple Stupid" (no offense, I use that acronym referring to myself as well). Check your shocks by pushing down on the front end and letting it bounce up. Good shocks will rebound once and stop. Bias play tires will develop flat spots from sitting and will "bounce" for a few miles then will be okay. Making sure they are balanced is a no brainer. I experiment with tire pressure sometimes. I'm assuming your mechanic knew what he was doing even though it's a 46 year old car since suspensions haven't really changed all that much over the years. Finding most car problems are a simple process of elimination sort of thing, starting with the simple stuff (KISS) first.
crtoons

Post by crtoons »

I tried the test of the shocks and it worked out OK. Not aware of the weights in the funk r engine area though, where are they located?
MBlaster1

Post by MBlaster1 »

The Shaker weights are behind the headlight area. Look like this.
IMG_20140427_122357.jpg
IMG_20140427_122424.jpg
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible
MBlaster1

Post by MBlaster1 »

Also let me know if you need them i have a spare set.
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible
crtoons

Post by crtoons »

I'll check and let you know Don. Also I have 15" Dunlop Standards on the car so I'm not sure if that adds to the problem.
crtoons

Post by crtoons »

tommy44432 wrote:Not exactly sure what you mean by bumpy. Is it bumpy all the time? Or just a few miles after it's been sitting? Radial or bias play tires? Are the balanced? Correct tire pressure? The list goes on. Let's use the KISS method to solve this. KISS meaning "Keep It Simple Stupid" (no offense, I use that acronym referring to myself as well). Check your shocks by pushing down on the front end and letting it bounce up. Good shocks will rebound once and stop. Bias play tires will develop flat spots from sitting and will "bounce" for a few miles then will be okay. Making sure they are balanced is a no brainer. I experiment with tire pressure sometimes. I'm assuming your mechanic knew what he was doing even though it's a 46 year old car since suspensions haven't really changed all that much over the years. Finding most car problems are a simple process of elimination sort of thing, starting with the simple stuff (KISS) first.
Thanks, I did the test and it only bounced once so the shocks seem in decent shape. I have 15" Dunlop Standards on them so maybe that's the issue as well.

Thanks for your advice!

Return to “Corvair Talk”