introduction - 35 years of Corvair ownership

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
corsaconvertible
Location: Shenandoah, IA (extreme SW Iowa) --------- 1965 Corsa convertible

introduction - 35 years of Corvair ownership

Post by corsaconvertible »

Driving is expensive, so I always try to find something a little out of the norm for the day. I purchased my '65 Corsa 140 convertible in Omaha, NE in 1979 from Mother's Body Shop. I've put over 100,000 miles on it with few mechanical repairs. I've driven it from coast to coast. On my way back from Cape Kennedy to watch a space shuttle watch, I did break a clutch cable; but drove to the Disney World area "speed shifting?" w/o the clutch.

The trip back to Iowa for Christmas was adventurous! In Atlanta, GA I dropped a valve seat. I got out my little member booklet, made about 3 calls before someone came to my rescue! I REALLY wish I could remember the man's name. I drove a short distance to his house, and in a few hours I had a new 140 head on the car, and food in my belly! He had a shop in the basement that you entered from the rear of the house. He also had a Corvair with a Buick 215 V8 in the location of the Corvair engine. Beautiful! The rest of that trip went from rain, sleet, to sub-zero blizzard weather until I got to Kansas City. The freeways were EMPTY.

One day in Omaha, I changed the transmission in sub-zero weather before I had to drive it to work at noon.

My Corsa remained my only car until I dropped a valve seat again while living in San Clemente, CA. One elderly lady saw my Corvair and asked me to advertise and drive her Monza convertible until I got it sold for her. Around then I approached another elderly lady about buying her second owner '64 Buick Skylark. She parted for a very reasonable price. I also rescued two abandoned Corvairs after people saw me driving mine every day.

Rust now has the best of my Corsa, which I hope to replace.

I also have a 1980 RX7 LX, 1980 Yamaha XS850 Midnight Special, and a 1975 Cosworth Vega - all three black with gold highlights.

Sorry for the ramble, I could go on and on. I'm afraid I've already written too much for a single post.
Last edited by corsaconvertible on Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony Hansen - 1965 Corsa convertible, 140HP
...my 2nd Corvair, purchased in 1979
...if it wasn't for law enforcement and physics, there would be no stopping me
...it's better to fall for wheels, than fall head over heals
hanssmom

Re: introduction - 35 years of Corvair ownership

Post by hanssmom »

We are almost neighbors. In fact, my husband worked at the body shop in Shen until a few months ago. We live near that steakhouse that causes all the ruckus on bike night northwest of you a bit. Great story! Do you have any pictures to share here?
Connie
Somewhere in Iowa
65 Evening Orchid Corsa Vert
65 Monza Sedan
65 Monza Two Tone Sedan
Poor little 65 Monza Convertible Stripper Car breaking in half, but it has a power top!
64 Greenbrier
flat6_musik

Re: introduction - 35 years of Corvair ownership

Post by flat6_musik »

Welcome, Tony. Cool story. Yes, post some pics if you can.....I like Cosworth Vegas too! They are another under-appreciated classic.

Return to “Introductions”