Lurked for years, I finally joined!

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
PressurizedPancake

Lurked for years, I finally joined!

Post by PressurizedPancake »

I've been researching Corvair stuff for a few years now, always led me to this site. Thanks for having me, I look forward to contributing when I start my build. The victim is a 68 Monza for my wife. Being a lifelong Chevy guy, and Chevelle and Impala enthusiast, Corvairs were always a "lesser" car to me, mostly due to the lack of a V-8. I can tell you, after looking at all of the engineering that was put into these back in the 50's and 60's to reduce cost, weight, and still function is amazing, and I was wrong in my initial judgement. Working in the manufacturing realm now allows me to look at things for the ability to produce cost effectively and retain function instead of all out horsepower.

That being said, my screen name does imply what I'm up to. 90mm pistons, Honda rods with offset crank journals, netting 3L, with a 1.8L screwcharger sporting multi-port fuel injection is the project. I do engine development as well as production and race engine calibration for a living, so I have some awesome resources available locally, and for the Corvair specific stuff, I'm hoping to lean on you folks.

Work has me busy for the next couple of months, but I'll be getting parts rolling here shortly. I have the pistons, one rod to use for modification and crank grinding dimensions, and the engine is all apart on the cart.

Thanks again, and I'm looking forward to the journey.
You're unique, just like everyone else.
Scott H
Site Admin

Re: Lurked for years, I finally joined!

Post by Scott H »

Welcome to the site! I look forward to following your build and to see what you do with it. Cool screen name too :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Oooohhh, neat!! Welcome to the forum! Hey, don't feel too bad about your initial judgment of the 'vair. A lot of people viewed them as the "vega" of the 60's. Can't wait to see your plan!

Oh yeah.....one thing (and I've mentioned it before) that's cool about corvairs is that, I think it takes a bit more conviction and care to keep them running sharp and right, and I love that! Not only that.....of all the owner's groups/forums for various makes of cars I've owned, I think corvair owners are the nicest and most helpful!
PressurizedPancake

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'm looking forward to it. Having these forums enables this niche car to get the support it deserves from all over creation. It kind of gives you a reality check on how all of the people did it before the internet age.

I will get organized and start a thread soon, probably tail end of Feb 2014.
PressurizedPancake

Tires are just for rollers.OK, just a couple of pix for starters, the rest will be in a new thread.
Place2Start.JPG
First pic is before we tore into it, second is gutted interior, and Daisies off my old 61 Impala.
Attachments
Step1.JPG
BIGTWIN
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by BIGTWIN »

I like the way it sits and looks with those tires and wheels. Welcome to the forum. Keep us up on the interesting stuff it sounds like you have planned.
1961 Monza
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside a dog it's too dark to read."
MBlaster1

Post by MBlaster1 »

Welcome, Sounds like you have big plans and I look forward to seeing your build.
:welcome:
Don Howard
Lake City Fl.

66 140 Convertible

Return to “Introductions”