Overheated...

All Models and Years
mcgasman

Overheated...

Post by mcgasman »

My generator broke letting the belt come off. I seen smoke coming out of the hood at a long redlight. Engine was cackeling when I pulled away. I got around 3 miles down the road and it died at the next light. would crank over slowing. rigged a new belt on it, it started and I drove it home. I hope I didn't toast the engine.
Brian (Mcgasman)
LaGrange,Ohio
62, Monza900
miniman82

Re: Overheated...

Post by miniman82 »

mcgasman wrote:My generator broke letting the belt come off. I seen smoke coming out of the hood at a long redlight. Engine was cackeling when I pulled away. I got around 3 miles down the road and it died at the next light. would crank over slowing. rigged a new belt on it, it started and I drove it home. I hope I didn't toast the engine.

Stick a fork in it, it's done, pull it apart. I could list the parts that were damaged by driving 3 additional miles after it already overheated, but it would be a very long post.
Click it!
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Keep driving it if it's road worthy.

If it isn't making strange sounds and has normal power you might get lucky and get more miles out of it. Just don't go on any long trips without towing insurance until it seems to be okay. Many of us have overheated like that and got much more use out of our engines. You certainly shortened the life of the engine but maybe not as bad as you think. What have you got to lose at this point?
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
mcgasman

Post by mcgasman »

The Vair is still running strong. It does not make any noises at all. And I fixed the idiot lights.
Brian (Mcgasman)
LaGrange,Ohio
62, Monza900
boatbob2

Post by boatbob2 »

IF and WHEN you break the belt,And the light comes on,turn on the HEATER, this will help to cool it,DO NOT DRIVE VERY FAR,

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”