Newby from the Philippines

New to the site? Introduce yourself here.
paolobalmores

Newby from the Philippines

Post by paolobalmores »

Good Day! I am Paolo Balmores and I'm from the Philippines! I have a 1966 Corvair Monza which I inherited through my Grand Father in Law and fortunately and unfortunately I am the only Corvair owner here in the Philippines and I have to restore it. I looked into the net looking for some parts in the Philippines and couldn't find any (sigh). I will be travelling to Melbourne Australia this June until Septembe hoping to get the chance to look some available parts there which I could bring home...Anyhow, looking forward to restore my Corvair and hopefully somebody could help! Thanks and Mabuhay!
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Newby from the Philippines

Post by davemotohead »

Welcome! My wife is from Quezon city and was wondering where in the Philippines you are? We ship stuff over there and if your close maybe I can ship you some parts? do you have any pictures of your car? :welcome:
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:clap: :not worthy: :wave: :welcome2: Welcome, Paolo, to the Corvair Forum! And congratulations for being willing to take on such a challenge! You may be one of the most-isolated Corvair owners in the world! (I'm not sure I'm doing much to make you feel better here). :whoa:

But if you are truly the only Corvair owner in the Philippines... how did that happen??? I can only think that some US Air Force guy at Clark AB or Navy guy at the US Naval Base at Subic Bay may have imported a Corvair in the distant past and then left his Corvair there, but since both of those military installations were closed in the early 1990s, it must have happened a long time ago!

I am sure that you will find a lot of information and knowledge-based support to help you on the Corvair Forum. We have members in places throughout Europe, Africa, Australia, Japan, South America, and even Canada ::-): :whoa: , but I believe you may be right, in that you are the first from the Philippines!
:woo: :omgosh:

Can you tell us more about you and your Corvair? Do you know its actual history, and how it came to be in the Philippines? Can you post some pictures and describe its current condition? How would you rate your mechanical skills? Do you feel that you have access to needed tools and a place to work on your Corvair? I know you have many obstacles to overcome -- particularly in the area of obtaining parts. I'm not sure what can be done to resolve that one. I know that owners in Europe, South Africa, and South America have had to be quite creative to overcome a general lack of parts, and the major cost of shipping them and importing them. Perhaps some of them will be able to make suggestions from time to time . You mentiond travelling to Australia. I've heard that there are some Corvairs in Australia, but not many. A new Corvair Forum member, Rudy (justfloorit), owns several Corvairs in Australia and recently joined the Corvair Forum (see viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5646) You might consider sending him a Private Message (PM) if you have questions about finding some Corvair support in Australia. I'm sure it is limited, but he may be able to provide some advice.

I certainly don't speak Tagalog, but with the help of Google and the Internet...

Mabuhay ang Pilipinas! Mabuhay ang Corvairs!
("Long live the Philippines! Long live Corvairs!")

How did I do?

So if you can, tell us more about yourself and your Corvair, and let us know how we can help. Again, welcome to the Corvair Forum.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
justfloorit

Post by justfloorit »

Hey Paolo, Rudy here, Welcome to the Corvair Mob ! The best Place for info that l've found. l'm in Australia and the Corvairs are few and far between here but there are more here than where you are, probably around 20 in Australia so not many parts around. What are you actually looking for? Maybe l can help but l reckon Clarks is one of the best to get stuff from and ship very quick to anywhere in the world. But keep asking everyone and youll get what you need, l know l did restoring mine, so best of luck with your project and show us pics of what you have and updates too...
Rudy from Australia
65 Monza
65 convertible
69 Monza (basket case)
paolobalmores

Post by paolobalmores »

@davemotohead- that's great! I am also located in Filinvest 2, Quezon City. Will surely update some pictures from time to time..Thanks buddy!

@Brad- I will upload pictures of the Corvair from time to time for update...regarding its history..my Grand Father in Law use to be connected with the United Nation as a diplomat and I think that was the first car he acquired through it...(im not so sure) but it is still registered in his name..hehehe however before he passed away he gave me that car as a gift and still running. When i decided to have it restored the car restoration company kept it unfinished until its closure...the corvair then deteriorated and the rest is history...Now, I am planning to restore it again in its entirety...hence, need some advice and help...I would like also to take this opportunity to thank all of you in advance.... much ease in my heart!
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Welcome!
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
Am-Iron
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by Am-Iron »

Welcome to the Forum! Enjoy!
Check out my FB Page! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Corvair-O ... 0804308827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

:welcome2: Paolo. Its good to have you here. :tu:
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
paolobalmores

Post by paolobalmores »

Thank you Scott!
new mexico vair

Post by new mexico vair »

Welcome Paolo! This forum will probably be your best recource for info on your awesome car. The folks on this forum are always willing to help. We all have a few screws loose but i think you will find like I have Corvair people are just good people. Does your car have a 110? Auto? Some pictures would be cool. History of it would be neet also. More specifics! More specifics! Like is rust a problem with all the water?
Also if you are near the eBay call center I may have some work for you.
1964 Monza Corvair

Return to “Introductions”