Re: Well this sucks

Post by freedo »

Waiting for a truck now. 30 degrees out. Im so cold
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

I guess there is just something in the photograph that I'm failing to see. All I see is a parked car at night with the lights on. So what is it that "sucks"? :dontknow:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

bbodie52 wrote:I guess there is just something in the photograph that I'm failing to see. All I see is a parked car at night with the lights on. So what is it that "sucks"? :dontknow:
Side of the highway in a construction emergency pull off. Something broke in the engine. Been waiting fir a truck for 30 mins with no heat and its 30 degrees out
sam60

Post by sam60 »

Good thing that the battery is up. I have thought about adding a hazard flasher circuit for times like that.
Last edited by sam60 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
140-4 carb w/transaxle - Traded for a guitar

69 Wayne 100 - Blue Water hull - sitting out back
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Sorry to hear about the breakdown. I had assumed that you were posting this photo from home, and the photo alone wasn't communicating the situation completely. Frustrating, I know. Are you far from home?

Please let us know tomorrow, when you feel ready, more about the breakdown and the symptoms. Ifyou need assistance to sort it all out, hopefully we will be able to help. GOOD LUCK! Hope the tow truck shows up soon.
:banghead: :tu:
Brad Bodie
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

sam60 wrote:Good thing that the battery is up. I have thought about adding a hazard flasher circuit for times like that.
I had the same thoughts when I bought my '66 Corsa last year. Back in the early 1980s I was shipping two Corsas to West Germany in conjunction with my new USAF assignment there. Since I knew that all cars shipped to Germany by the military had to pass a West German safety inspection, and that part of that inspection included a requirement for operating emergency flashers (which Corvairs do not have) I ordered emergency flasher add-on kits in 1980 from Clark's and installed them in my Corvairs. They worked fine, but as far as I can tell these emergency flasher add-on kits are no longer sold by Clark's, and I have been unable to find them anywhere else. (I guess since all modern cars have them already, the market for the aftermarket add-on has all but died).

Anyway, I found this substitute on Amazon.com and bought them for my Corvair. It seems to work very well, and I carry this kit and a reflective emergency warning triangle (that I purchased in Germany in 1980) with me as a part of my roadside emergency kit in the trunk of my Corvair.

Bright, inexpensive, easy to place on the roadside, and not dependent on the vehicle car battery. Seventy-eight written customer reviews posted on Amazon.com. $25.00, with an average of 4 out of 5 stars in consumer ratings.

I also swear by membership in the American Auto Club (AAA). It, coupled with a cell phone, is inexpensive emergency roadside insurance, and it pays for itself the first time you run out of gas, have a dead battery, get stuck in snow, or have a need for roadside towing service. For example, when I blew a brake line on my GMC truck, I had to have the truck towed to the dealer. The cost of that single "no charge" 30 mile tow would have been significantly greater than the annual AAA fee! When you drive a 40+ year-old classic car, the odds that you might need roadside assistance go up. The cost of AAA membership seems insignificant for the added sense of security it provides. There are also other additional benefits with AAA membership, but the emergency roadside assistance is by far the most important. ::-):

FYI...

3 FlareAlert 9.1.1 LED Emergency Beacon Flares with Storage Bag

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQ ... UTF8&psc=1
Brad Bodie
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

made it home safe, 20 mile tow. will look into it tomorrow. car just started to make a terrible noise in the engine so i turned it off

cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Sorry to hear about your breakdown.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
flat6_musik

Post by flat6_musik »

Yeah, me too...... :sad5:
Scott H
Site Admin

Post by Scott H »

That sucks freedo. I hope its nothing major. :pray: Let us know when you find out what it was.
Scott
1960 Monza Coupe
1965 Evening Orchid Corsa Turbo (project)
1961 Rampside (project)
1964 Spyder coupe (patina car, running)
1964 faux Spyder (project/parts car)
1964 Monza (parts car)
1963 Monza (parts car)
freedo
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by freedo »

this rocker was extremely loose,

but it didnt look like it backed off any threads, so i pulled it apart to check the pushrod and lifter. both seemed fine so i put it back together and it seemed like i had to tighten it down about 2 threads more than usual. when i started it up so that my boss could listen to it and see what he heard. when i started it up it was loud like a out of adjustment valve, then this happened

wtf!

help!
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:helpsos: With loose rocker arm but an apparently normal pushrod and lifter (collapsed hydraullic lifter?) I was thinking a dropped valve seat or a stuck/damaged valve that cannot close completely or move. A compression check on that cylinder should verify this, since a zero compression reading coupled with a loose rocker would seem to confirm a broken valve/valve seat or stuck valve. But that does not explain the oil leak in the vicinity of the oil filter. The pictures of that don't tell enough. Where was the oil coming from? :dontknow:
Brad Bodie

Return to “Corvair Talk”