Springs Or Shocks?

All Models and Years
kenshapiro2002

Springs Or Shocks?

Post by kenshapiro2002 »

My '61 Lakewood sat in a field for 23 years, and sits almost an inch lower in the left rear than at the right rear. Is this ride difference shocks or springs? I am going to replace shocks...do springs need replacing as well?
flat6_musik

Re: Springs Or Shocks?

Post by flat6_musik »

Springs are what maintain your ride height, not shocks. Shocks just dampen and keep the suspension from bouncing up and down like a pogo stick after you drive over a bump or dip. In the old days, air shocks COULD add a little bit to the ride height though.
kenshapiro2002

Post by kenshapiro2002 »

Thanks...that's what I thought. Now to decide whether to use the stock spring or cut a coil off...I like my 51 year old lowered ride stance!
kenshapiro2002

Post by kenshapiro2002 »

Spam whore?
mart

Post by mart »

A seized shock could effect the ride height , especially if it has been stood a long time with the weight off the springs, unusual but not unheard of as this happened to Hitlers Revenge....my sons Bug, a front shock seized up in the extended position giving the impression of the opposite rear corner being low
kenshapiro2002

Post by kenshapiro2002 »

Probably not as it bounces nicely on all four corners and I;ve been told shocks can't effect the height on these cars...the springs hold it up when at rest.
mart

Post by mart »

While its true what you say, all things being equal and in good condition , the shocks have no bearing on ride height, remove them and the car will sit exactly the same, however , a seized shock will act like a solid rod and give you no variation in height or suspension movement, as the whole of the suspension on that corner will be set to the length of the seized solid shock, whether seized fully extended ...suspension high,......... or seized fully compressed.....suspension low, however since it bounces it will be the springs at fault here, a seized shock wont allow any bounce. A word of advice , always fit springs in pairs, even if only one of them seems damaged , as the new spring might end up making the opposite side look low
kenshapiro2002

Post by kenshapiro2002 »

Thanks.
kenshapiro2002

Post by kenshapiro2002 »

Well...just finished the install now of new rear shocks and springs, and I'm very confused. Since I got Tina, she has always sat 1" lower on the left side when measured at either wheel wells...front or rear.

So, I change the left rear spring shock and spring, and she was even in the rear (didn't measure the front). Just did the right rear spring and shock and she's back to being 1" lower on the left side.

I'm guessing it's either the front springs or something totally unrelated. Any thoughts?
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

I would check for something binding on the suspension.
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
kenshapiro2002

Post by kenshapiro2002 »

cad-kid wrote:I would check for something binding on the suspension.
Give me some examples please.
cad-kid

Post by cad-kid »

Of course you could be on the right track with the front springs.

If something was binding (control arm) it could prevent the suspension from resting in it's natural position. I know the front end on my car is binding up because after I jack it up and let it down the front of the car rests higher than it did before. Plus it is a little squeaky when I let it down with the jack. :doh:
Jeremy (cad-kid)
Kronenwetter, WI (Central Wisconsin)
SOLD 9-2016 65 Monza 4spd/140
My 65 Monza thread
:soapbox: My YouTube page
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

cad-kid wrote:Of course you could be on the right track with the front springs.

If something was binding (control arm) it could prevent the suspension from resting in it's natural position. I know the front end on my car is binding up because after I jack it up and let it down the front of the car rests higher than it did before. Plus it is a little squeaky when I let it down with the jack. :doh:

They all sit high after they have been jacked due to camber change...when the car is set back down the tires are cambered in and can not go back to theri original position until the car is moved.

Could be a bind on the Lakewood, but, I would be suspecting a left front spring. Oh yeah and I think the tolerance is +- 1/2 inch so it is not terribly far off at 1 inch ( I would still try to figure ot out tho).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
kenshapiro2002

Post by kenshapiro2002 »

When the idiots from UShip delivered it last year, they rolled it off the end of the car carrier very roughly, dropping it about a foot or so at the end...enough to rip open the oil pan. Wonder if something in the unibody or rear suspension could have taken a blow at that time? Everything looks ok, but... Guess I'll find out when I redo the front springs and shocks.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”